“Beware of Victorian House in Sosua, Dominican Republic”

Victorian House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Recent stay, this has constant water and electrical issues. The water is either too hot or too cold. Then at times, the water is shut off without warning-3 hour wait get water once during day for shower and to flush the toilet. The electric breakers will click all night and the lights will cut off.

Beware of the 18% credit card rate. Also they require total stay bill up front. If you pay cash you have no refund recourse like a credit card would give. If you can't bear the hotel and must leave before your stay is over, they have all your money. At least a credit car will seek a refund. But the high fee persuades most guest to risk going cash. Another hotel with higher quality only share 8% credit card fees and nothing paid up front-That's a clue.

The hotel lacks security. A taxi driver came knocking on my door. There are no phones or means to communicate with the front desk or management in case of an emergency. I've tried to bare with this property, but I'm done.

Room Tip: No exceptional rooms. The staff and security (in lobby) are a 5-10 walk from sleeping rooms. There a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Earl F

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Sosua is different things to different people. It has it's quaintness and charm, I suppose, and it also has it's seamier side. Walking around town, I get the feeling that the place could use a good cleaning.
But then literally one block away from the multitude of restaurants, bars, shops, etc, you walk through the gate at The Victorian House, and everything changes.
Upon arrival in our taxi-publico, my beautiful young female companion and I are greeted by a staff member who inquires if we have a reservation. Upon answering in the affirmative, Juan promptly scoops up all of our baggage and escorts us to the office for check in.
A brief moment, to wait our turn with one of the hotel agents, but not to worry -- we are each handed a cool, refreshing tropical drink. Welcome to Victorian House!
The grounds at VH are landscaped and beautiful, the atmosphere tranquil and relaxing. The room (a standard room for us) is nothing extraordinary, but at the same time, it was very comfortable, and everything we needed. The bed was large and comfortable with 6 pillows. The bathroom was clean and nice, and included a hairdryer. In the small hallway leading from the bathroom to the main room, a little alcove with a refrigerator and a microwave! Both of these items were greatly appreciated and put to good use.
The TV was not a modern flat-screen, but it was more than adequate, and I did not go there to watch TV! Nice closet space, chest of drawers built into the TV stand, lockbox in the closet. For me, the best feature of this very nice room was the air conditioning. I have had numerous bad experiences with air conditioning in the Dominican Republic, but this one worked perfectly! It was adjustable by remote, and was strong enough to keep the room very comfortable even during the height of the afternoon heat. Awesome!
But I have saved the best for last. You slide open the slightly-difficult sliding glass door and step out onto the balcony, and there it is -- a magnificent view of Sosua Bay and Sosua Beach. This absolutely took my breath away and that of my young lady as well. Numerous evenings, we would relax out on the balcony in the lounge chairs provided, as day turned to night, and just soak it all in. And let me tell you, it was MAHVELOUS!!
Outside of the room, a very short walk finds you at the very lovely two-tiered swimming pool, which also overlooks the beach and the bay. A wonderful experience swimming here both during the day and at night also. A few more steps out the back door of the property and you are on beautiful Sosua Beach. I love this beach. Other people may complain about the constant pestering from souvenir shop owners and guys renting chairs, etc ("my friend, my friend!"). Me, I find it entertaining, I enjoy interacting with the people and trying out my mediocre Spanish.
The sand on this beach is beautiful, the water is calm with gentle ripples, not waves, and the water is perfectly cool, not cold. Just right!
Also located in very close proximity to the hotel (all within 4-5 minutes walking distance) are numerous restaurants, bars, and a large, modern, all encompassing supermercado, Playero. What a convenience for those random items you need and maybe a few drinks to stock the fridge. Although the eating options in Sosua are numerous, I will mention one that we happened to visit 3 times during our stay -- Sinatra's. Every Wednesday and Friday night, they offer a special buy one dinner, get one free. What a deal, a nice savings off of their already very reasonable prices. On these nights they also have a one man band performing complete with his synthesizer and electric guitar. He is a lot of fun, what with his Latino versions of songs like Hotel California and Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (The Shirrelles? Are you kidding me?).
Meanwhile, back at the hotel, the VH staff is am earnest, likeable group. Juan and Luis at the front gate, Ryan, Gendry and Maria in the office, Florangel the reservations manager (my go-to person who took very good care of me), housekeepers Alba and Rosa, and head dude in charge, Brionne (very available, eager to please). The restaurant folks were also very accommodating, allowing me to store my precious tub of Bon ice cream in the kitchen's freezer (the freezer in the small fridge in the room did not quite cut it for ice cream storage), and supplying us with a container of ice whenever requested.
Complaints? Not many, really. The water pressure in the shower was not great, but it was adequate. There was a disco there, downstairs from the restaurant on Saturday nights. In other DR hotels with discos I have stayed in, the music usually stopped at 12 midnight or 1:00. But here it was on until 5:00 a.m., with the disco-goers also out and about on the grounds, and certainly making themselves heard. On my next visit, I have reserved a room further away from this activity, and this will solve that problem.
Overall, on a scale of 10, I give the VH a 9+ (who among us is perfect?). Will I go back there? Claro que si !! I am already reserved for August! Can't wait!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank elgatador
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a review for both the Victorian House Hotel, and my husband! I'm almost embarrassed to say that this was my first time visiting a TWC. We've been all over the world together and I've always come to expect the very best in hotels. When he came to me with the idea of visiting a TWC for 10 days, I was genuinely afraid of what was coming. I heard stories of power outages, no hot water, sickness, etc... So needless to say, i took to the internet and tried to find everything I could on this "Victorian House" spot he got us into. I was MORTIFIED by what i saw online. All my worst nightmares were coming true in the reviews on this place! I immediately told my husband to change the CITY, let alone the hotel! But i have to give him credit. He got all sentimental and said that we would tough it out together and make adjustments on the fly if things got a little too hairy. He acknowledged that it's a TWC and told me to stop acting "like a tourist". Afterall, we wanted the experience of the country and to hopefully pick up some Spanish while we were at it.

When we arrived, I thought I got lucky when the cab driver pulled up to the front gate that was locked! Then I saw that he mistakenly pulled up to the wrong gate. Funny enough, the actual front entrance reminds me of the VIP entrance at the Wynn in Las Vegas. Very intimate, personalized service, alot of white and stone decor. Not at all what I expected from the reviews. We even had a private "concierge", the hotel manager, an American fellow, was hands on with explaining the expansion and renovations that were happening while we were there. My natural inclination was to expect the worst. They went through so much effort to explain the property plans during check-in, I though "oh boy", the rooms must be horrible.

I don't know if my husband pulled some strings or the new ownership of this place reads the reviews daily, but I was shocked when I saw how beautiful our room was. It looked brand new inside. We had a Spa Suite, room 2104, (I remember because it's similar to our first home address). We were overlooking the pool/bay. Obviously, the room wasn't comparable to Parlor Suites at the Wynn, but I could honestly say that it reminded me of the Junior Suites at the Doubletree Grand in Miami. Clean decor, modern bathrooms (a necessity for me), and good space to move around with luggage. The jacuzzi looked like it had never been used before us.

We checked in at around 3:30pm so we were not really in the mood to go to the pool. Instead, we just wanted to get a good feel for the city. The hotel manager gave us the skinny on everything within 10 miles of the hotel. He really made the city feel comfortable because he seemingly knew everyone. One call, and he had us connected with a travel cell phone and the number of a personal driver named Ceasar that would become one of our best friends on the island by the time we left. Side note: with Ceasar's help, we were able to visit cities throughout the entire island instead of just Puerto Plata.

After stepping out into the city for a couple hours, we return to the hotel for dinner. Our first dinner was recommended by the hotel manager. We ate at the Cajun restaurant in the Hotel. The food was good but the shock factor was amazing. who would have thought that a trip to the Dominican Republic would yield chicken and waffles! The music was modern jazz and the setting was open-air overlooking the bay. We didn't go for the chicken and waffles, we opted for the Lobster and Blackened Fish. The fish was fresh, the sides weren't great, but the dessert was wonderful. We had the banana pudding. all in all, the restaurant was the best place to eat in the city if you want food to remind you of the states. We ate there at least once a day since they served breakfast as well.

We were told that the hotel rennovations will include private beach access starting in May, but for the time being, we had to walk around the resort to the general public access. It kinda stunk to wake up to the beach but have to walk around to get to it, but after a couple times, we got used to the little shops and peddlers along the route. We even purchased a few paintings and key chains before we left.

According to the manager, the whole resort should be finished with renovations by summer. He even took time out to walk us through the closed side of the resort, (this place is much larger than i expected). I think he was warming us up to buy a timeshare! Don't get me wrong, the property is beautiful, but there were way too many "island girls" there for my taste. Apparently, the hotel is known for a pool party every Saturday and let's just say, I didn't let my husband out of my sight for the entire afternoon.

This hotel gave us everything we needed and most of what we wanted throughout our stay. I can't wait to go back and see the resort after the renovations. I give it a 4 out of 5 because they are still renovating. Eventhough they are fully functional now, there is always room for improvement. If you are thinking about booking here, definitely stay in a Spa Suite and always ask questions. The more we asked, the better we got to know everyone there. I think this place will be the next great vacation resort if they stick to the plan they laid out for us. Kudos to my husband for a chance well taken, and kudos to Victorian House hotel for making our trip memorable.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a Spa suite to enjoy the views of the bay unobstructed
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank elisa C
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We just stayed at the Victorian House in early April 2014 for a week. Looking at their latest website, www.victorianhousehotel.com, we were impressed at the quality of the accommodations. Everything looked upscale and refined. However, that's not really the case.

The location, as other reviewers have reported, is stunning, and every room has an amazing view. But the rooms are very substandard and in need of refurbishing. We stayed in a Spa Suite (not really a suite, it's a room). The lighting was horrible, we had to swipe some brighter light bulbs from the outside lights so we could see in the room at night. The bathroom had great water pressure and plenty of hot water but did not feel clean and emitted sewer gases that fouled up the room. We also had to re-arrange the furniture so that we could get to an outlet for my laptop. One good thing is that the bed was great....very comfortable. The air conditioning (no remote) was very noisy. The sliding doors to the balcony were very difficult to close and lock.

The beach is about a five minute walk away and we had the use of the two pools in the closed
hotel next door.

We had various meals at the restaurant (separately owned and managed) and the food was very good. The service is friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the people who staff the front desk (except for Maria) are very indifferent and we never felt like a "guest".

A couple of other things about the room: the wi-fi is very good, there is no clock, radio or telephone and if you want to use the safe, it's $3 a day extra. Also, we were told that if we wanted to pay our bill by credit card, there would be an 18% fee added.

Overall, the Victorian House has an excellent location but needs to be refurbished. If that doesn't bother you, you'll probably be okay. And like another reviewer said, maybe this is as good as it gets in Sosua.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views. The Penthouse Suites on the top level have the bedroom on a loft level t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank paradise-people
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed at the VH for two periods in March 2014.

The first stay I got a basic room at the lower level. All rooms have immaculate views, so don't be bothered by the room selection. However, access to all floors is via s concrete spiral staircase which can be challenging with people moving in both directions or if you've had more than a few drinks - I experienced both but did not have an unpleasant experience to report. The only downfall of my first room was that it was plagued with problems: Firstly, the AC was leaking water. This was resolved immediately. Next there was a water leak behind the toilet and at the sink. This was adjusted but never fully remedied. It required mopping daily to remove the ponding water. There was also a pool right inside the door which I could not figure out the source.

The second stay, I got a superior room on the first floor. At first, the lights didn't work but after a replaced fuse, I am happy to report that the accommodation was perfect. No problems. Beautiful view. Everything was to my delight!

A few notes about the Victorian House - What a beautiful resort! The grounds were also perfectly kept, clean and tidy. The security at the gate was also very helpful and accommodating to guests. The view of the beach and the pool are breathtaking! You have to see it to understand! The restaurant is perfectly situated, spacious, great meals - the things that millionaire's experience. For an added $10USD per room, breakfast is included and well worth it...

But the major selling point for me was the location. Everyone knows where the VH is in Sosua. It's close the the beach, bank, grocery and most importantly for me: the night clubs. I walked everywhere! No need for a motoconcho ride. Even though it is close to everything, its location at the bay overlooking the beach, allows for a restful night's sleep and a true happiness to pull the curtains in the morning and experience the fresh air.

This hotel has my recommendation

Room Tip: All rooms have immaculate views!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank ShawnB_TT
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I travel often and almost Never leave reviews but considering all the negative reviews from 2012 i read about this hotel I had to tell you guys the real. Lets be honest, Sosua is no St.Tropez...That being said, this hotel is the BEST place to stay when your in Sosua. I just got back and already booking my room for 4th of July weekend. Comfortable beds. Killer view. Great food and a staff that are helpful and very friendly. The rooms are very spacious and well kept. The bed was crowne plaza or Marriott quality which is rare in Sosua. The hotel sits directly on the Sosua bay so there is no better view. step out on your balcony and you are looking right into the bay. Its also in walking distance (4blocks) to EVERYTHING there is to do in the town. Most of the other hotels in this town feel like a cheap truck stop motel but the Victorian House is as luxurious as you will find there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank ramaine F
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We arrived on January 17 2014 to find the hotel gates closed and locked with chains. The taxi backed up and we entered through the entrance to Victorian house. We had booked a room with a kitchen but were given a room with a microwave! We found that the hotel was closed and that only one other party was staying at Victorian house. Except at night when the prostitutes moved in with their tricks. We were asked to pay $60 per day per person mandatory all inclusive fee. What did we get for that....food at the only restaurant in the resort, with a very limited menu. And we had to pay extra for alcoholic drinks. They actually post prices for the meals in the restaurant and I calculated the my wife and I were not paying more than $30 each for meals. I complained to Bryon who graciously stopped charging us for alcoholic drinks. But the mandatory fee was still a rip off. Fortunately they did not take travelers checks, so we could not pay the fee until Monday when we went to the bank. Our next move was to get out of the Victorian house as fast as we could!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family