“Lots of FUN and GREAT PEOPLE”
Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #20 of 39 Speciality Lodging in Sosua
Toronto, Canada
“Lots of FUN and GREAT PEOPLE”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Hello All out there.
First of all, My husband and Myself own a Condo around the corner from Coco's.
Once we had it rented out and wanted to stay a few days longer. My husband went home and I stayed at Coco's by myself.
Had a Ball. Shelly and Ian took very good care of me and were more than accommoting. They even went out to get me food for lunch etc. Shelly and I went shopping and became very good friends.
Now after years of going down, This is one of our favorite spots to hand out.
Its so much fun there, to the FUN crowd who hang out at the bar. The stories are a laugh. NEVER EVER, a DULL MOMENT AT COCO's BAR.
And its very safe there as well.
Ian and his wife Marleney are very nice HONEAT people. They have 2 beautiful children.
Burnie is GREAT AS WELL. Burnie is a very close friend of my husband and myself as well. (Call him Burnie Bond. as in James Bond. He will love that.) That is his new NICK NAME BURNIE BOND!!!!

We go all the time, as we do have a condo close by and drink at Coco's alot. We always have a ball there. They treat us like gold and our FRIENDSHIPS are Close now over the 7 yrs that we have owned there in Sosua.
So if your looking for a very fun place that is clean and lots of fun. GO TO COCO's Motel.
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!!! YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT!!! WE SHOULD KNOW THIS AS WE HAVE A CONDO THERE.

Room Tip: Any room is fine. I liked the top floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heather092

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Hi - Just spent a week at the Coco Hotel. Excellent value for the money. Friendly staff, great low key atmosphere and very accommodating to all requests. Loved sitting at the bar chatting with Bernie and Ian. Marleney and Ian's daughter add to the easy going feel. Marleney does a great job cleaning. What was extra nice was the welcome our Haitian friends received.

Bernie is the best chauffeur, bartender, breakfast maker and rice cooker - bar none!

The little Dominican restaurant/take out next door is yummy & cheap.

Looking forward to spending my summer with Bernie, Marleney, Ian and the girls!

Bernice

Room Tip: The Penthouse is large and great for multiple guests.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Reading some of the reviews someone could be very confused about what Hotel Coco is really like so here is my version. If you want a vacation in which you stay in a little transported bubble and don't experience anything real about the large expat community of Sosua, this place is not for you. If you need to be forcefed the same boring food day after day and just hang out in a pool at some hotel while you have the greatest waters surrounding your area, this place is not for you. Now if you want to experience the real culture of Sosua, see the regular community hanging out at the bar, and just plain experience life...this place is for you. I don't know about the hostel part, but a normal room which I had will be cleaned every 2 days, any requests for a place to eat will be answered honestly, any activity you choose can be evaluated by the hotel and they will use real experiences to back up their recommendations. Any assistance needed will be met by an over abundance of help from the staff or the patrons of the place. This isn't only a hotel it is a community and as long as you want to belong and be somewhat social you will not regret your stay here.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear the motorbikes ask for a room away from the street, but then again tho...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris B
Norway
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I am one of the very few guest who has stayed very long time at Coco Hotel.
And this is my second review about this hotel. ( Should read first me review too, to get more information about this hotel)
In my first review in 2009 gave I this hotel 5 stars, this time will I give 4 star, based on more experience with this hotel.
But with new improvements they had lately started with, like improve the rooms and will even put in Flat screen in some rooms in the future, will it soon get a 5 star rating again.

From October 2010 to June 2012, was I going back and forth from Dominican republic and Cuba, and spend together more than 1 year in this hotel.

You get good value for your money by staying at Coco hotel.
The management like to call it a economical hotel, I will use the term " Cheap" even that they doesn't like that expression.lol

And Coco is a smart hotel, since they have room for all kind of travelers.
Like backpackers that will be satisfied with a simpler room and then pay lesser.
Or like me that want a little better room,with cable television with over 100 channels, refrigerator and a desk.
All rooms has WiFi internet connection and you can choose if you will use the fan as I did or the AC.
I have also heard they had now improved a least room with a small kitchen too..
A room I would liked to rent if I come back again.

I would say Coco hotel is close to a perfect hotel for single travelers, but also couples..
Even for kids, since they a entertainments center in their recreation area, with a big flat screen television with a DVD player with movies for all age, even a Nintendo for the kids or if the they had golf tournaments for some older kids(adults).
Some off the staff even learned a little kid to swim in the swimming pool one time...

Many first time visitors too Sosua or Dominican republic has given good reviews about this hotel.I know personally many of this reviewers.
You can use Coco hotel as you will, if you just will use it as a place to just sleep and relax after a day at the beach or a night in the town and not get involved with other guest or staff, will nobody bother you.

Or as I will recommend, sit down some time in their nice bar. look at television or listen to music from their excellent satellite radio with all kind of different music.
In the bar will you often meet the nice staff. other long time or new visitors visitors and now lately a more popular place to local expats that lives in the area.

There will you normally get all information about Sosua, where to go and visit..
What to do and not to do that can be important for newcomers.
Like one example, never accept the scam with free token to play Keno at Casinos,where the bill to your surprise later will not be 5000 peso, but 5000 dollars..lol..
Sometimes can Ian take you out to the city to visit to some bars, or even drive you to Cabarete or Puerto Plata as when I needed a special X ray for me dentist treatment.
Or as 7 of us hotel guest, once time did, rented a car and took a long day trip to Semana, Ian was driving., cost only around 20 dollar each person.

Bernie, is one of the person that work in the hotel.
He is a very nice person, that has many talents.
He knows everything about cable television, internet , even repair and fix program for your computer., excellent cook and bartender. And dance very good Irish river dance.lol..
So if you have a technical problem with something , just ask Bernie.

Daniel from Argentina is also a very nice person, that has lived a long time in the hotel. Many guests has become very good friend with him.
If you want to know the bar life in town, invite with you Daniel.and buy him two drinks( he only drink normally no more than two drinks lol) He knows the town very good and a lot of people, and also speak both Spanish and English perfect and will gladly translate for you if you should meet some local you will talk with.

I have also learn they has got a new female employer their that also make very good food.
And you will also meet Marlene , Ian,s Dominican wife, very helpful and nice and everybody will love their sweet and funny little daughter Abril. And they just got a new baby too.
And they has also a helpful and nice night guard, Lionell..
I would really recommend to live in a place with a security guard at night in Sosua.

Living in Hotel Coco was for me a as single travelers like living with a family.
In some hotels can you often be very much alone. That is not Coco hotel. Something I found very important and made my stay better.
As if I should be very sick one day, would some miss me very fast, not lay alone in the bed alone several days.
As I never forgot when a another long time guest,that had got some trouble with some locals in the town one night, partly because he was little to drunk. And was beaten up..
6. am in the morning they waked up Shelley , and she did a much better work to heal his wounds than the local hospital had did for 500 peso. Shelley is a nurse.

Well, Coco hotel is not a perfect hotel, but is all the time improving.
And most honestly say has not a perfect management either.
But different from other hotels that has very professional staff , that call you sir and everything.
Would I much more prefer the staff at Coco hotel with their warm and natural personality and their little special personalities.

An another guest complain about Ian temperament, it is very seldom he explode, mostly is he very nice to all costumers. But if people complain to much, so can he loose his temperament a little, but he is never violent.
But run a hotel and deal with problems and costumers and maybe little sleep, can maybe be very stressful sometimes.
And if you try to do your best and also must think economical, so can complains from not satisfied guest make you little upset.
But, Ian should try to relax a little more and also get some more vacation time from this 24 hours work sometimes, and also try to think, 1 missippi. 2, missippi, 3 missippi, etc... before he answer..lol

I learn from my long time visit that run a hotel is often a 24 hour job.
Like be available all the time., beside has a family.
Like sit up in the night to serve some guests in the bar.
Or some idiots, that comes to your bedroom 5.am in the morning because he has a problem or another one that call them 7.am to ask to clean his room.
And run a hotel cost a lot of money, many bills, and in high season must you save some profit to survive the low season.
So if you think about the low price for living there and all work and bills.
Should you maybe not expect to much , as cleaned your room every day. Cleaning staff and laundry cost money.
Then go for a hotel , that maybe are not so much better than Coco hotel, but cost twice the money.
I live now in a better and little more expensive hotel in Asia, where is written that 2 to 3 days guests, musts not expect to get their room clean everyday..

Well. I miss the staff and several good friends from Coco hotel,
Miss sitting in the bar at night and listen to old popular songs, and talk some serious or some nonsenses . In the hotel I live now is it very few that sit and talk at night in the bar, so,,, a better hotel, but more boring..

At last will I make some other recommendations in Sosua.
My excellent, beautiful and cheap dentist, Monica Garcia , in front of Playero supermarket, Coco staff knows where it is.
And the Scandinavian restaurant at Sosua beach with Tom the owner..
Mostly English speaking guests and good and safe food..Yeah, I am Norwegian too, but he has very good critic, so....

Hope my review was helpful to understand Coco hotel and if anybody has some more question about the hotel or Sosua, just me send a mail.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Chrismic59
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The first few days at this hotel was great. Shelley was fun, however, Ian has a very short temper and shows it in front of guests. I asked Shelley and Ian, the owners of the hotel, about changing my sheets and toiletries every day instead of once per week. Ian became very explosive in his temperament. Days following, I had to ask him if still wanted me to remain at his hotel. At one point, I felt uncomfortable asking Shelley or Ian for any changes that may need to be made to make my stay comfortable.

Though they were in renovations, the hotel was not entirely clean. Ian uses the pool to clean some of the hotel outdoor chairs. At one point, the pool chairs were used to hold unclean mattresses.

The environment was not professional.

They have a great private beach but they didn't act like they wanted my business. Fortunately, I found another hotel with professional services.

As Shelley told me in one conversation, " What do you expect for $25/day?"

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Fred S
Shelley-retired, Owner at Coco Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for your review. The Coco Hotel does its annual renovations and maintence (pool cleaning/painting, furniture cleaning/repair,purchasing new mattresses, room painting/ maintenance, etc.) during the slow season of July & August. This unfortunately requires some disruption around the hotel and movement of furniture with short pool closures as well. We try to inform guests of these renovations at their time of booking and make sure that noise is kept to a minimum with no work starting till after 10:30 am. We have reduced rates and specials at this time to help compensate these inconveniences. Our guests are always asked to let us know of any problems or concerns at their time of stay. Also we ask our guest on arrival how often they would like their room cleaned. We have learned over the years that some guests do not like anyone going into their room and so we let our guests decide how often and when. Clean sheets and towels are always available. Also guests who book day by day make it difficult for managers to plan around them. I appreciate being able to respond to this reveiw and make sure that everyone is aware of our routine at the hotel and I hope feel comfortable enough to let us know how we are doing at the time of their visit.
bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I had debated about this property but after reading others reviews decided to spend two weeks at the Coco. The owner Shelley and her son Ian picked me up at the airport for $15 and this is a very good deal, taxis charge at least $25. Both Shelley and Ian explained some things about Sousa to me on the ride to the Coco. They were both very helpful to me my entire two week stay. Shelley would ask me if I needed anything at the store if she was going and gave me a ride a couple of times. Bernie works at the Coco and is an all around guy and seems to be able to do anything. I would recommend making contact with him as he has many funny stories! The Coco is not right in the hub of things but this also makes for a more peaceful stay. The highlight of the Coco is that the beach is short stroll away and there is a reef to snorkel. The beach is also very scenic and quite with few people using it so much better than the main beach in Sosua with no vendors trying to sell you something. One of the main reasons I chose the Coco is because I do not speak Spanish and I knew that it was Canadian owned thus someone there would speak English. Ian also contacted a tour operator for me and the guy came to the hotel and I made my choices for excursions. The buses picked me up at the Coco. If you like to snorkel take the Paradise Island Excursion the best! If I am ever back in Sosua I would stay at the Coco again.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street as the motoconch drivers start up at 6:30
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank behaman
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Went there 2 times, (12/25/11 - 01/07/12 and two weeks after, in Jan/2012. for 2 weeks more). Will go again for sure. Nice people, nice rooms, nice time!!! They got a private beach !!! which is no questions to ask if you have a companionship... :-) Good and quick transportation to Sosua "downtown". Canadian/Dominican family owned , open to any of your desires. Loved it. Recommend it if you are not an all enclusive type of traveller. Special hello to all friends (miss your guys) I met there, including owner's family (baby, hello) and personal (thanks for the those eggs in the morning - they were the second best I got in my life ever).! The best home made Fish&Chips ever... Boris

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo