“THANX!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #22 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Sosua
Reviewed 31 January 2014

What a great place! Stayed for a month and had a fantastic time. Met lots of great people (even though I can be a little quite at times) and no problems. Thanx Ian, Marlanie, April, Mackenzie, Bambi, Hazard and Gange. Will see you guys again soon.

Super Dave

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This was the first time I stayed off the resort, and I'm glad I found this place. The owner and his wife are awesome people who made us feel right at home. Its a short motoconch ride into town with a restaurant and laundry mat on either side. Its clean and safe, and your guaranteed to meet all the cool locals from around the world who now live in Sosua. I stayed for 3 weeks and learned a lot about the town and culture, more than I would have on a resort. It was an experience I won't forget and I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel every time I come to the d.r for the past 5 years if your a 1st timer or do not know a lot of people in sosua this is the perfect place for you lots of repeat customers and staff that will help you get around. I had a stroke. So not very easy for me to get around the owner helped with everything also gave me help walking around the pool which was great therapy . The kids are great the little girl April would always try to help me walk

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Drsosua
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at the Coco for 9 nights, over the Christmas holiday. I had reserved a room for myself but then had 2 friends decide to travel with me for part of my stay, and they were easily accommodated in my room for a minimal addtl charge, the room had 1 queen bed and 1 twin bed and was located on the ground floor. Linens and towels were fresh and clean, toilet paper was provided. The minifridge was cold. I never saw a cockroach or bug in the room/bathroom. (well, except for a few mosquitos, but thats a given ;) ) The shower water was hot, the AC worked great, but I only needed it once as the ceiling fan was very effective. I never had a problem with the internet. I never turned on the tv. They offered to clean the room more times than I let them.

There is definitely a family feel at the Coco, there were several nights that I sat arnd the bar with other happy travelers and there was great chats and laughter, and it was fun to have the adorable children out and about during the day and in the evening. The other guests were all very friendly and hospitable as well, I had lots of invites- for good eats, activities, etc. More than once a local asked me where I was staying and when I said the Coco they burst out in smiles, 'oh Ian and his wife, aren't they great?!' I loved that I was staying in an establishment that was viewed positively by the community.

The location is great, just a short walk to downtown/dicso/bar area, or the publico taxi to get to cabarete/puerto plata, restaurants a plenty on the same street, 2 mini markets within 3 mins walk. I never took the moto, I always chose to walk, but there were always plenty of motos out front if I had so chosen. There are 5 different beaches (3 of which I stumbled upon, maybe theres more) within a 10 minute walk, the private beach (< 2 mins walk) is gorgeous, and most certainly private. The manager, Ian, was very friendly, down to earth and very helpful with advice abt how much things should cost, things to do, places to eat, making my other travel arrangements, scuba diving, changing money, etc. I left for the airport predawn and both Ian and his wife, she is also very friendly, had gotten out of bed to see me off, so kind!

I felt very safe (single white female), very welcomed, taken care of, and watched out for. I have budget traveled all over the world and the Coco delightfully exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank d w
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed at Coco Hotel on a whim. I e-mailed the owner the night before and they saved a private room for me, which was very cheap and clean! The website for the hotel stated that it had a private beach, but you don't really believe it until you see it! Just a 1-2 minute walk through the forest behind the hotel, you find yourself standing on a 500 foot stretch a soft sand, surrounded by rocks and cliffs.You can snorkel here and venture out to the beaches down the way if you're a decent swimmer. The hosts (who are a Canadian woman, her son, and his family) were very accommodating and easy going. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank StacyG947
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The staff and family were super helpful! The location is great with the access to a beach a short wall out the back door and a longer walk to town. The community built here is super open and welcoming to all walks of life.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 2 July 2013

When I was picked up by Ian at the airport my leg was the size of an elephant’s trunk. I had just torn my MCL and ACL. When we arrived at the hotel he arranged for me to have a room on the ground floor. My leg was in an immobilizer and I had no crutches. For three days Ian and Marlane brought me bags of ice for my knee. They set up a lounge chair outside of my room so I could sit by the pool comfortably and ice up my leg. If I needed something they got it for me. When I needed to get medicine they took me. I had never met Ian or Marlane and they treated me like family. They even arranged to get me crutches so I could experience Sosua on my own. Cool, relaxed, great people, excellent service and a fantastic vibe. CoCo Hotel is where I will be spending my next vacation. It is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. Next time I plan on staying longer. IF you ever find yourself in Sosua you would be doing yourself a disservice staying anywhere else. Excellent Experience, Can't say enough.

Room Tip: There is a room on the on the second floor west side of the building that has a sweet balcony overlo...