“An extra value behind what you might have expected from other positive reviews.”
Review of Tropix Hotel

Tropix Hotel
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

Me and my fiancée visited Tropix while we were exploring northern coast of DR. We didn't want to leave this great place where staff is more than helpful and willing to put extra effort to make everything perfect and enjoyable.

Little cabins (around 30 sq. m) are very clean and welcoming (not one of those generic rooms you might have encountered before), colourful and nicely arranged. Pool is clean, located perfectly in a lush and well kept garden yard that justifies the name of the place more than enough. We didn't take the breakfasts from the hotel menu as we prefer to cook our own food but the staff always remembered to make a fresh coffee.

To top it all, the price is the best you can get. We double checked that.

Also, if you're friend of animals as I am, you'd be happy to know that the Tropix is supporting local animal shelter. All and all, I can hardly find anything that could lower our enthusiasm for this special place. I strongly recommend it to everyone willing to spend some time in Sosua. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Glybin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My partner and I wanted to stop over in Sosua for a night before our flight back to the UK. I found the hotel on Tripadvisor and booked by email. When we arrived we were greated by Carl and shown to our room.

We had a double room with separate WC and shower which was clean and spacious enough for our needs. There is a nice clean pool in the courtyard and if we were staying longer I could just see us spending nice relaxing evening by the pool.

Breakfast cooked by the friendly staff although basic was delicious and considering we had been staying at Cayo Levantado the previous two weeks compared very favourably.

Although the checkout time is 12 noon they allowed us to stay in our room until 2pm the next day and arranged a taxi service for us to the airport.

The price for our room was an astonishingly good value $44 for the night which including all taxes.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and I would highly recommend Hotel Tropix

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael O
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I think that the other reviewers have already said most of it... The hotel is very pleasing and a reasonable walking distance away from one of the nicer beaches in the Puerto Plata area. The staff are great and keep their standards high in terms of service as well as weeding out questionable clientèle so I felt very safe.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mona P
Dominican Republic
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My friend came to visit me while I serve in the Peace Corps. I would pleasantly surprised. It was low season, so my friend and I got a room each at no extra cost. Carl is a true cosmopolitan and made our visit a delight. Be sure to ask him about the strange place up the hill!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank thompcha
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My law partner and I were recently called away from the United States to handle a client matter in the Dominican Republic. We had less than 24 hours between notification and departure... it was a frantic situation, to say the least.

The frantic nature of the our trip, combined with the typical adjustments required when visiting a new (and very different) country, could have made for a nightmare. Because of Carl, Jolee (sp?), and the Tropix Hotel, that was simply not the case. Stressful afternoons of navigating the Dominican legal system were washed away in the bright clean pool. Adjusting to a completely different culture was a breeze, thanks to Carl and the rest of the delightful staff. My rusty Spanish was never an issue; in fact, all of the staff seemed to delight in helping me remember a word or phrase. When the day was finished and it was time to retire, the rooms were perfect - spacious, inviting, and clean.

If you are looking for a full-service resort, Hotel Tropix is not for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for the hospitable and relaxing feeling that is typically only found in a bed and breakfast, the Hotel Tropix cannot be beat.

My wife and I hope to return to the DR within the year (this time for vacation, not business). Without a doubt, we will be staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Michael B
Naples, Florida USA
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I just returned from a trip with my daughter to Dominican Republic. We had the pleasure of staying at the Tropix Hotel in Sosua for three nights and it was, without a doubt, the highlight of our trip. It's location, on a quiet street a few blocks from the main street and the beach, was perfect. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go. The room was very spacious, clean, air conditioned and nicely decorated in a bright, tropical theme. The beautifully landscaped courtyard area is centered around a refreshing swimming pool. Breakfast, served poolside, was very good and inexpensive. The pancakes (made by Juan) were a must try. They were delicious. Our host, Carl, was very friendly and welcoming. He went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. He had great recommendations for local restaurants and sites to see in the area. He and Juan were even nice enough to take us to the '27 waterfalls' (a must see) and wait patiently until our tour was done. Then they took us to a restaurant serving authentic dominican food and on a tour of the area. It was fun to sit around and chat with Carl and the other guests about the culture, history and life in the D.R. If you are looking for a relaxing place that's a little lower key and not a big all-inclusive with way too many tourists, you will really enjoy the Tropix Hotel. It's a great value (at $44/night) for a gem like this. We were lucky to find it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat W
Spring Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was the 3rd time I've stayed at the Tropix over the last 15 years. Sylvie, the prior co-owner who passed away, was sorry missed but Carl, the manager, and his staff could not have been more accomodating and helpful. The hotel retains the same charm evident when I first stayed there some 15 years ago.

Room Tip: We chose a "suite" for just US$10 more/nite & enjoyed the extra space. I've staye...