“Ten Fantastic Days”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Hunter, New York
“Ten Fantastic Days”
Reviewed 20 August 2008

This is a first for me. I have never felt the need to write a "fan letter" before. But the excellence of this small hotel simply must be acknowledged. Casa Valeria was recomended to me by a friend and I booked my stay from their web site. I was pleasantly surprised to be contacted through personal e-mail by the proprietor. This set the tone for the entire stay. Personal sincere service is the hallmark of this friendly, intimate oasis.

But the excellence does not stop there. My room was clean and fully functional. Maid service/valet service as quietly efficient as any Ritz Carlton or Fairmont Hotel I have stayed in on corporate trips. Each room has its own private veranda overlooking the central pool area.(My favorite place for morning coffee and newspaper.) The restaurant (open to the public) clearly dispenses some of the best dinners in the Carribean. It's not often one looks forward to the next "hotel meal" of the day, but that was certainly the case for me during my entire ten day stay.

Over the course of those ten days I came in contact with not only the proprietor Arien and his wife Diana Vlogtman but all of the hotel and restaurant staff. The friendly,courteous, sincerity evident in my first encounter with managment is consistantly displayed by all in their employ. This is the stuff of not only fond memories but lasting friendships as well.

Other reviewers have accurately mentioned the convienient central location, security, and quiet surroundings. I concur but will try not to duplicate the reviews of others.

Suffice it to say: if an All Inclusive Resort sounds more like a prison sentence than a vacation to you, than this little gem of a hotel is your lush tropical Eden.

• Liked — Restaurant above all...but everything
  • Disliked — Never come off a vacation cold turkey!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Road_Less_Traveled_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Brooklyn, New york
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Let's start out by saying I am A Frequent traveler and travel often for business. I am picky! Being a New Yorker, born and bred, I expect good service. This hotel and their owner/operators went above and beyond my expectations. Their attention to detail in every aspect of my stay was astounding. My room was cleaned spotless every day. The pool and grounds were imaculate. It was also conveniant to have a bar and restaurant with great food right on the property. We were 1/2 block away from city center and a 5 minute walk to the beach. Perfect. I am already booked for this November with friends and am looking foreword to another week in paradise.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank djmouse1
Jokela Finland
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Our first trip ever to the Dom.rep. (Sosua) and Casa Valeria was amazing! We selected Casa Valeria due to the several positive reviews and were not disappointed at all - quite the opposite. We had high expectations due to the fact that we had long been waiting for this trip and to spend quality time with the family (my sister and mom joined us the next day from our arrival). We were all together 4 adults and 2 teenagers (14 and 15 yrs. boys) and accomodated two rooms at Casa Valeria. Both rooms were very cozy, spacious and functional. The decor is very caribbean/mexican-style; colorful with unique paintings of butterflies and tropical flowers. The beds were firm and supportive and all the linens clean. The room had a fridge where you can keep the after sun lotion cool and drinking water cold.

The bathroom is rather large and the maids made sure we had clean and fluffy towels each day. They even folded out the towels into the artistic "sculptures" such as swans etc. A small - yet very beautiful - gesture to show genuine care and appreciation towards guests.

Also there was a TV in the room and once it went out of order (due to a sudden thunder storm), Arien (one of the owners) quickly took a look at the problem and fixed it.

Casa Valeria is like a little hidden garden hotel surrounded with beautiful flowers and trees. All the 9 (?) rooms are located around the pool which was kept clean from the tree leaves. Arien and Diana (the owners) are keeping busy all day long helping guests and doing it with a smile. You surely feel yourself welcome and free to ask them anything. For example, one day I asked Arien if the waterpark nearby would be open. We had just seen an ad about the place and thought it would be a nice place to visit. Arien used his computer (internet) and phone constantly to find out answers to all of our questions. The web pages of the waterpark had not been updated for ages so Arien suggested he could drive me there to check out the place and see if it was open or not. He did that volunteerly and charged nothing for the service. (The waterpark was closed.)

Casa Valeria has a nice restaurant on-site. The staff of the restaurant is SO friendly and constantly smiling. This was propably the best part of it all; the heartwarming smile of every staff member. Not all of them speak fluent english but it doesn't always require one to know the language if they can speak with their hearts:-) I will miss that smile!

What ever we required at Casa Valeria, our needs were well taken care of. And believe me, we had QUITE A FEW questions! Casa Valeria was exactly what we wanted out of our accomodation. Surely it all depends on what you like, but if you prefer small, cozy, intimate, friendly, safe, clean and quiet resting place, Casa Valeria is an excellent choise. It is the opposite to those multicomplex, all-inclusive, non-personilized chain hotels that would not make you feel special.

• Liked — The sfaff
  • Disliked — The on-going renovation (did not cause any disturbance to us)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank finnishJokelaFinland
Catania
Reviewed 15 August 2008

I want to share my experience, so nobody will get ripped off again. I was so stupid believing to all those tripadvisor's reviews.
This place is a junk, old dormitory style. There are no nice owners. Basically, what the owner does is spending his time on the Internet to write all those nice reviews about his propriety.
He has to lie just to keep his business going. There is no good deal 50$ a night. For only 15$ a night you can stay at brend new aparthotel in Cabarete, named Sansouci. After I refused to stay there owner did not returned my money back. I booked that nasty place for 2 weeks and lost one week of my deposit. I am very disapointed how some people doing business but it will not last for long. I am reporting owner of this place for fraud, advance fee scheme and not delivery of services.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — costant noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
42 Thank Eugenio6
new york
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I booked a week stay in the hotel. I must say I'm a bit conflicted in writing this review. I went with high expectations that of the hotel because of the reviews i read here, but was a bit disappointed.

The pros:
-quaint little place
-For the price, it's good value.
-The owners are super friendly and accommodating and hospitable.
-It's in the heart of Sosua, very easy to find and bars and restaurants are within 5 mins walk.
-A very nice restaurant is around the corner 2 mins walk from casa valeria
-Staff is nice and polite
-24 hr guarded. Daytime by the owners, night time by a guard at the gate. Gate is locked at night, only residents are allowed in.
-small and cozy. <10 rooms in the whole place.
-clean fridge, bathroom, kitchen. clean towels every day.
-feel quite safe
-US $15 cab ride from airport. $6(200 pesos) from cabarete one way.

The cons:
-One of the rooms is being renovated. So construction work starts at 8am and ends at 6pm. i got waken up every morning
-The twin beds do not give enough support to back. The pillows are crappy. I wake up every day with a sore back and neck.
-Might have bugs in some beds. I have at least 10 bug bites on my legs. it's not mosquito bites, but probably some invisible tiny bugs.
-A/C works ok in small room, not in the big ones. at least the fan makes it tolerable.
-room is dark. lights are dim.
-bring your own shampoo and conditioner. only soap and 2 towels are provided.

If you are going kiteboarding, stay somewhere in cabarete instead. You'll hate the commute. If you stay in sosua or might venture to puerto plata and cabarete, this might be a good place in the middle.

I would rather pay $25-75 more to stay at a more comfortable hotel.

• Liked — The friendliness and accomodating of the owners.
  • Disliked — The bed, the pillow, the bug bites
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank booyaBooya b
chicago
Reviewed 3 August 2008

We booked Casa Valeria for part of our honeymoon after reading such positive reviews on tripadvisor.com. This is the best value you can find in Sosua - a quiet, charming place to stay for an EXCELLENT value. Casa Valeria is steps away from Playa Alicia (a quiet beach) and a 10 minute walk from Playa Sosua (the more populated but extremely beautiful beach). The owners - Arien & Diana - were extremely accomodating and helped my husband & I take care of everything we needed to. We also had breakfast there every morning and the food there was fresh & simple. this is a great find, but make sure you book early - we wanted to stay an extra night, but they are booked almost year round!

• Liked — Location & value
  • Disliked — room tended to get hot with only one small a/c unit
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eileenchicago
Copenhagen
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Wanted to see sosua and was recommended this hotel by a local diving instructer, who used to stay here.
We loved it - extremely friendly dutch couple is running a small 7 room hotel with a pool.
My family realy liked it there. Good food and clean, cosy rooms with aircon, fans and fridge. Two rooms in the hotel has a kitchen, but didn't try that.

• Liked — friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family