“A Hidden Gem”

Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sosua
Wash. DC
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I shouldn't be writing this bacause the next time I want to come back I probably won't be able to get a room but I have to give credit where credit is due. I've stayed at almost every hotel in Sosua over the years and Casa Valeria is at the top of my list. The location is perfect, it's a small quiet place,nice bar / restaurant with lush tropical setting around the rooms and pool. The rooms (9 total) are priced very reasonably and are clean as well as newly renovated . If you are looking for somewhere that's nice and peaceful and not overwhelming then this is the place you want to stay. I will be back for sure.

• Liked — Location,price and quality
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank SosuaBlue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
new york city
Reviewed 5 November 2008

casa valeria is the best place i've stayed at in sosua in the last 5 years its very very clean great rooms,everyone there was very nice and its very safe there with great security at night for your safety I will be staying there every time im in sosua i've already booked my room for feb.

• Liked — clean close to bars and the beach
  • Disliked — all was great
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank biscuit6963
NY, NY
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I've just returned from a 12 day stay at Hotel Casa Valeria in Sosua. Once again I'm impressed with my accomadations. I've been traveling to Sosua from NYC for the past 7 years and have stayed in a dozen or so hotels. 6 trips and 2 years ago I decided to try a stay at Hotel Casa Valeria due to it's small cabana style hotel look and Caribbean feel. During that stay I met Arien and Diana, a lovely couple from Holland who were in the process of buying the hotel. The past 5 visits, since their purchase, I stayed at the hotel. Each stay better than the next. The Hotel is a family operation with Arien and Diana and their small staff of about 5 people sharing all duties. Attention to detail, the small accents around the pool area, candlelight setting after dusk, down to an umbrellas for use in case of those unpredictable tropic showers. Each of the 10 rooms have been rerenovated with all the amenities of home, AC, WiFi, Cable, etc. Outside each room is a patio where you can sit in a garden setting around the pool area. At 9AM one morning I met 2 German men, Gunther and Winfred, from Bavaria around the pool. They shared local wine, cheese and meats from Bavaria. We wound up staying till dusk chatting and laughing about the the world around us. As the day went by we were served poolside by the hotel restaurant which serves, breakfest, lunch and dinner. At night the hotel is a popular spot for couples looking for a romantic spot to dine. It's small, quaint and nicely decorated. Service is also excellant for Dominican Standards.

• Liked — The serene garden setting and close proximity to the town and beach.
  • Disliked — The bed was somewhat uncomfortable.
  • Stayed October 2008
2 Thank Michael M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2008

My wife and I were there in august with our daughter for our anniversary dinner, we would like to thank all your staff for a great evening. The staff were very professional, polite and courteous. The food was amazing, our best to the cook/chef again. The service was impecable and the atmosphere was very relaxing and with a nice ambiance.
We travel often to Sosua and will recommend your fine establishment to anyone we know wanting a fine meal there,

We would like to thank Diana and her staff again for a great dinner and experience and hope to see them next year on our annual trip there.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank gold83wing
Milan
Reviewed 10 September 2008

Me and my boyfriend stayed two nights in Casa Valeria...The hotel is very nice, clean and the atmosphere is very romantic. I chose the luxury room, very confortable and with a beautiful bathroom. The owners, a dutch couple, are very kind and helpful. Moreover the hotel is near to Playa Alicia, the best beach of Sosua .So if you decide to go to Sosua, no doubt, choose Casa Valeria. Ciao Francesca

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tuttamagia
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 22 August 2008

My family and I loved this beautiful, quiet, and friendly hotel and its staff. With its clean, relaxing pool surrounded by lush vegetation, Casa Valeria felt like an oasis to us. This was the first time my Mom and I had been to the Caribbean, and we felt very welcome and well taken care of. We stayed at Casa Valeria for a week, ending on August 2, 2008.

Even before our trip we got a very good impression of the place as the owners replied to my emails promptly and thoroughly. We too had read all the TripAdvisor comments before our trip, and can concur that the owners of the hotel are really as helpful as the reviews suggest. I even needed someone to help me pick up my passport from an embassy in Santo Domingo (an 8-hour trip roundtrip!), and Arien arranged someone to help me out. I felt that there was never a question that the owners or another staff member did not help me resolve!

The location of the hotel is ideal--just a 10-minute walk to the beach, and near the main restaurants, etc. It's very quiet during the night, so we all (a 6-person group) slept very well.

In sum, I think the best features of this hotel are: comfort and relaxed atmosphere, the pool, friendliness of staff, location, and quietness. I think this is an awesome hotel to stay at, whether traveling with kids, friends, or by yourself!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank SatuAtlanta_GA
Hunter, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2008

This is a first for me. I have never felt the need to write a "fan letter" before. But the excellence of this small hotel simply must be acknowledged. Casa Valeria was recomended to me by a friend and I booked my stay from their web site. I was pleasantly surprised to be contacted through personal e-mail by the proprietor. This set the tone for the entire stay. Personal sincere service is the hallmark of this friendly, intimate oasis.

But the excellence does not stop there. My room was clean and fully functional. Maid service/valet service as quietly efficient as any Ritz Carlton or Fairmont Hotel I have stayed in on corporate trips. Each room has its own private veranda overlooking the central pool area.(My favorite place for morning coffee and newspaper.) The restaurant (open to the public) clearly dispenses some of the best dinners in the Carribean. It's not often one looks forward to the next "hotel meal" of the day, but that was certainly the case for me during my entire ten day stay.

Over the course of those ten days I came in contact with not only the proprietor Arien and his wife Diana Vlogtman but all of the hotel and restaurant staff. The friendly,courteous, sincerity evident in my first encounter with managment is consistantly displayed by all in their employ. This is the stuff of not only fond memories but lasting friendships as well.

Other reviewers have accurately mentioned the convienient central location, security, and quiet surroundings. I concur but will try not to duplicate the reviews of others.

Suffice it to say: if an All Inclusive Resort sounds more like a prison sentence than a vacation to you, than this little gem of a hotel is your lush tropical Eden.

• Liked — Restaurant above all...but everything
  • Disliked — Never come off a vacation cold turkey!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo