“Kerala at its best!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mararikulam
New York City, New York
“Kerala at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

My parents live in Kochi but my husband, who is American, and I live in the US. I wanted to introduce my husband to Kerala culture and also give my elderly parents a break, and this seemed like a good enough option. Little did I expect the perfection of our time there. The staff were warm and sweet and thoughtful all the time, going out of their way to notice our needs and fulfill them even without being asked. The yoga in the morning held by Gopal and the meditation in the evenings by Krishna Kuruppu were calm and peaceful and restorative and the ideal way to start and end the day (and I don't even like yoga when I am in the US!!). The two men were thoroughly impressive at 70 and 75 years respectively, by how supple and fit they were and the wisdom of their instructions - made me want to start yoga as soon as I got back! I am still amazed that one place could have surpassed both my parents', my husband's, and my expectations all at the same time. The beach grill restaurant was a fun place to be with the multi-talented staff getting up and singing old Malayalam and Hindi songs that anyone could recognize - it even got my 84 year old father up and singing songs from his childhood! The beach was pristine and the coconut grove leading up to it idyllic, with its hammocks and the bar closeby. We even went out to the beach late one night and saw an army of crabs fleeing from us. The club house was a nice retreat from the mid day sun and we played games and watched movies in there. The doctors and staff at the Ayurveda center were warm and leisurely in chatting with us and diagnosing our various conditions, the rejuvenation massages were thorough and we walked out feeling rejuvenated. The management, from the restaurant manager to the housekeeping manager, to all the staff, all exuded the same qualities of sincerity and warmth and humor and concern, and all without being intrusive in any way...how did the resort balance this so naturally? The seafood restaurant was the only place that was not truly worth the expense - the ambience was romantic and beautiful but the food could have been more memorable. One evening, there was an Ottanthullil performance which was outstanding - I have never seen this dance form and my parents were quite prepared to be bored, but very soon into the performance, all four of us found ourselves throwing our heads back and laughing in delight - I looked the man up on youtube and found out that his name is Maruthorvattom Kannan - what a talent!! At one point, the staff invited us to witness one of their staff birthday parties in their staff cafeteria - what a fun time that was - they had songs and skits and we were given front seats! The naturalist Daniel who walked us around the property to show us the eco-friendly techniques used by the resort was knowledgeable and accommodated us outside the scheduled touring time. We walked around the vegetable and butterfly gardens and the security guard pointed out interesting things along the way. My father enjoyed the music lessons with Benny in the morning, and has now returned home to resume playing the organ. The rooms and the bathrooms were charming, and sitting outside in the verandah in a sudden evening thunderstorm was magical. We were sad to leave - the physical beauty of the place, the activities that made every day novel, the sense of having walked into the most welcoming and genuine of families - we thank God for all of you who made this trip so perfect for us. You were outstanding! Oh, and did I mention that on the last day, I mentioned to Suraj, the manager, that my parents were both celebrating birthdays, and the whole staff brought out a cake, with a scroll with all their signatures, made out to the "best couple". This was truly Kerala at its very best. When I saw how well you all do your work, it inspires me to do my best at my job...Forgive me that I do not remember all your names, but Suraj, Shiva, Maya and all of you, we will remember you and we wish you much blessing for the blessing you were to us.

-Sara Varghese
(as well as Richard Green, and my parents Mr. and Mrs. Varghese, whose sentiments I have included here)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank sara v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
london england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here for 5 days at the end of a hectic tour of the Golden Triangle. It is such a peaceful place and other than breakfast and dinner we saw very few people. We booked a garden room with a pool and it was beautiful. We had the sun from 11.30 until it went down so used our own pool quite a bit. We also used the hammocks down by the beach which was very relaxing. The food was nice and we enjoyed the cookery sessions before dinner. The spa was lovely and the massages as good as any we have had. We booked a trip on the backwaters through the hotel and that was a very nice day. We also booked a trip into town but would give that a miss, there really isn’t very much to see! Our only disappointment is that there are no chairs on the beautiful beach but I guess they must have a reason for that. The staff throughout were very friendly and always had a smile. If you want a relaxing place to stay this is it

Room Tip: If your budget runs to it have a private pool!
Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buzzLondonEngland
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Was due to stay at this hotel for 6 nights at the end of a bit of a tour. Had seen the property a few years back and loved its beach location, peace and quiet.
At check in the girl describing the hotel talked down to us like school children and her sari uniform was quite dirty. No warmth there in the welcoming experience.
Room was good albeit charcterless.
Thatched rooves come down too low so that if you are either looking out of your room or sitting on the terrace outside the door you cannot see anything.
Hardly anyone around during our stay, which in itself is not bad, but it did feel a bit like a graveyard.
Lunch at the beach grill restaurant was good. The head staff member at the grill restaurant was touting big time for evening business, which was a ittle annoying.
Dinner in the buffet restaurant for dinner and breakfast was poor. Very few choices and nowhere near as good as other CGH Earth Hotels, which I had stayed in. Service in this restaurant was poor and they had a group of Russians, who were taking all of their attention. I was told by a friend, who stayed there after we checked out that on one evening in the dining room they had endured Russian Karaoke!
We checked out after two nights and returned to our previous hotel, which had been just excellent.
We were disappointed because we had looked forward to this last part of our stay so much, maybe too much.
I would not return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WOLFSPIRITTRAVELLER
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

This place is made even more special by the wonderful staff who work so so hard to make you stay special. They really are fab!
The rooms are beautiful and spacious.

The outdoor pool is massive and great to swim in- the beach is beautiful but not the cleanest outside of the resort area.

The food is just stunning- the chefs are truly talented and work to create fantastic dishes.
Badminton court - good workout
Yoga every morning - wonderful
Eco tour- the hotel really does try to make a difference
Great cocktails!

Just brilliant :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at the Marari at the end of August, during a Christian pilgrimage in the church nearby, so we had music all day which gave a particular atmosphere to our whole stay. The hotel was very good, nice bungalows, nice pool, good restaurant, very nice and friendly staff. The beach is unbelievable, but we could not really go swimming, as the waves were huge. The outside showers are a bit of an experience, but we enjoyed it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cochin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Vast white sandy beach resort, coconut groves, village theme cottage accommodation, warm service, good ayurveda centre, spacious bed rooms,private pool villas, great bar. Great Place for a long beach holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Howden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

stayed here for 3 nights at the end of a 2 week touring holiday. wonderful, so peaceful and restful. no noise, no tv in rooms, lovely surroundings, no attractions on the beach ect. just peace and rest. staff are so helpful and always smiling, nothing is too much trouble.my only advice is take a torch. on an evening the paths are quiet uneven and we had a storm and the lights went out. no problem about umbrella's they are everywhere and staff run up with them for you. but my friend who is partial sighted had a bit of a problem in dark places, even with the lights on. There is no room service but the restaurant is not too far away. the massages are fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maureen R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mararikulam
Xandari Pearl
Coconut Lagoon
Coconut Lagoon
#3 of 26 in Kumarakom
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,168 reviews

Been to Marari Beach Resort? Share your experiences!