“Antebellum jewel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakeport Plantation

Lakeport Plantation
More attraction details
Owner description: Lakeport Plantation is an Arkansas State University Heritage Site near Lake Village and Greenville, MS. The house was constructed ca. 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson. It is the only remaining Arkansas antebellum plantation home on the Mississippi River. ASU began restoration of the house in 2003 and the house opened to the public in September 2007.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Stoup
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Antebellum jewel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Located at the base of the Arkansas/Greenville Bridge{btw...brand new and worth seeing too} Lakeport Plantation is completely restored through at grant money and the Arkansas State University. Donated by a local family the plantation was really rundown but was still a working cotton plantation. There is little furniture here because their focus is the rare architectural elements that are all original to the home. The plaster and painted doors to mimic wood and even the exterior original paint color was discovered and matched exactly. If your driving near this plantation home take the time to go 10 minutes off the main highway and experience what life must have been like as a wealthy landowner.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Stoup

Los Angeles, California
“Great visit very educating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Well the person we had was great my daughter asked a lot of questions and and he was so patient to answer all she asked. She did keep thinking because we had the same last name that they were our kinfolk. Lol. The house had been upgraded a lot and considering how old it was and what it represented, I think everyone should visit this place at least once. I am from Arkansas and everyone should want to learn more about the history of places in their towns and state. Keep history going because it is becoming far forgotten.

West Virginia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Lakeport Legacies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I recently attended a short film screening at Lakeport as part of the "Lakeport Legacies" series. During my visit, I had the opportunity to walk around the grounds. It was my first time at the home and I was very impressed. The home itself is beautiful and has been restored in some parts, but conserved in others. The result is that you get to see the craftsmanship of the house alongside how the house looked originally. It is a fascinating step into the past.

1 Thank Mountaineer2015
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This was the highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We loved this antebellum home. Especially impressive is the authentic history and restoration. The tour guide took my husband and I through the house. We spent 2 hours there and really enjoyed it. The house is surrounded by majestic trees and tobacco fields. I had never seen cotton growing before. A must see!

1 Thank csser
Atlanta, Georgia
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“The Plantation is neat, the people who are working need some work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

If I were rating the Lakeport Plantation alone, this is a solid 5-Star attraction. Arkansas State University has spent several million dollars restoring the building to its historic past. The stories of the plantation and the care that was taken to restore it to its former glory are well worth the tour. My only complaint with this attraction is the people working at the site. As I was researching this site, I tried to call the site several times and could not get information about times and tours. Then the person who was working the day we visited was 30 minutes late for the 2 pm tour. This plantation is worth a visit, just maintain patience while visiting.

Visited October 2012