“Pleasantly surprised...awesome place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakeview
Gaston's White River Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lakeview
Dallas, Texas
“Pleasantly surprised...awesome place”
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My husband found this place online and I was a little nervous about driving the 9 hours with my kids without seeing it first. Most reviews seemed to be good, so we took a chance. I was nervous as we opened up our cabin (because I have stayed in some nasty places other family members have booked). It was imaculate inside. Looks dated in the pictures because of the paneling, but realy it was clean. Seems like ew carpet and new eiling tiles. The view to the river was gorgeous. All the cabins are lined up along the river and there is plenty of lush grass leading down to the water. The river flows very very fast and is about 50 degrees. So at least when we were there we needed to keep our kids wiht us when we headed down there. There are a lot of amenities for the kids/family. They ahve a nature trail, a peacock sanctuary and a prvate large fishing pond (catch and release ) that the kids loved . Pool was imaculate and not too many people there. Restaurant was very expensive, but good for a night out. View there was great.
Fishing guides were amazing. One we had was featured in Southern living in June 2008 he said, we need to take a look at that.
Other things to do in the area:
dam tour. Go to the state park visitors center to book that at the beginning of your stay. Also there are boat cruiseys, but they were booked up.
You get a boat with your cabin, but you need to rent the motor. We felt better about letting the guide drive us since we have a two year old.
Rented a pontoon boat on the bull shoals marina for about $130 for half a day.
Service was great. Their towels were thick, cushy big and abundant. They came by each day to change them out if we wanted. Grill outside the door, picnic tables down by the river. Game room for the kids with pinball machines and grocery and laundry were about 10 minutes away by car.

• Liked — Peaceful setting, wonderful managemnt/service, internet in cabin, allows pets, kids had a blast
  • Disliked — The location...quite a drive to get there from where we live.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank PattiSch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I stayed at Gatson's with my family (all adults) the first part of June.

I am not a huge fisherman but did spend some time fishing from the bank and was successful. Other's in the group did book float trips and had a great time!

The cottages were clean and spacious (we had a couple of the 2 bedroom units). Could use a little updating though. Each cottage has a view of the river and it was quite nice, even the day it rained. The grounds are very well manicured including the river bank right down to the water. It made it very nice to walk or sit on the bank and fish.

Swam in the pool one day, not huge but nice and clean.

The restaurant is good. They have a big variety, most hits, some misses. They do have resort prices though.

The best part was the people. Everyone was very nice and accommodating, couldn't do enough for you.

The resort is remote, with not much else to do but fish, hike and enjoy the scenery, so keep that in mind.

• Liked — People
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank gregoDfw
North Carolina
Reviewed 31 May 2008

There is not a better place to trout fish in America. I have been there well over 20 times in my life and we have had a wonderful time each trip. The staff will certainly help you in any way they can. When you are there they treat you like family. The food is great and the river is second to none. Whether you like to fly fish, or you like to fish from a boat, you will not be disappointed. On a recent trip we watched as bald eagles caught fish, and deer crashed through the shoals heading for the opposite bank. We could hardly fish for watching all the wild life. I have been all over the world traveling as well as fishing and this resort is a very special place. My only regret is that I can't get there more often.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank scottnanster
memphis
Reviewed 9 May 2008

America's greatest fishing resort. Several drawbacks. I ordered the biggest steak on the menu and had to send it back because it was 50% fat. The rooms had no reading light above the bed and the TV was kitchen size with no cable. One morning wade fishing I had the worse case of diarrhea of my life due to the previous supper. Regretablly I did not go to the emergency room and report it to the authorities. One year later I was attending an outdoor supper in Cotter catered by Gaston's and the food was unedible. I had a martini at supper and inquired as to the brand of gin used. It was Heaven Hill which sold at a liquor store down the street for $10 [per 1.75liter]. Anyone who endorses the restaurant is a moron. Gaston's will never see me again. If you care for food even worse, try the Baxter Inn in downtown Mountain Home. It hosts the Rotary Club once a week and those guys must be oblivious to dreadful lunches. Fishing the White River is first class, but you're on your own for dining. John Townsend

• Liked — riverview and pool
  • Disliked — the restaurant and TV
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled as a couple
6 Thank traderjohn46
Central Illinois
Reviewed 26 November 2007

Our family stayed at Gaston's at Christmas time while visiting retired family in the area. This was the perfect get away at a very reasonable price! During the off season their prices are 40%off! We were in the deluxe 2 bedroom cabin which was perfect for our family of 5. So often we don't really fit into a hotel room with 2 teenagers and a smaller child. Here each bedroom had it's own bathroom and 2 double beds-perfect for us. We especially enjoyed the fireplace with fresh wood right outside our door. Each night we had a fire going, watched tv or played games at the kitchen table, my teenagers checked email (great internet connection) and when the kids went to bed, we could stay at the fire! Very clean rooms, fully equipped kitchen and an amazing view of the river (lit at night so you can enjoy it even then!) right outside our window. The only drawback we saw was that the restaurant was not open during our stay the week after Christmas. It would have been nice to have a dinner there or even a lunch. We were informed of this when we made reservations however, so were prepared for this. My young child also enjoys the small "zoo" located on the property. We could take a walk on their trail and enjoy the peacocks and other small animals. If you need a private airstrip, they have that too! I've heard this is THE SPOT for trout fishing, but even if you don't fish, if you need a place during the holidays, I highly recommend Gaston's!

• Liked — View of the River/Location/Fireplace
  • Disliked — Lack of restaurant during Christmas.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank hmusic
Norman, OK
Reviewed 2 October 2007

This, our first stay at Gaston's, was a great experience. The view out the large windows is breathtaking. Most of our time in the cabin was spent where we could look out!

Our two-bedroom cabin was clean and the furniture was well taken care of and comfortable. One note - when we return in October, we will plan to provide some method to shelve limited grocery items in the kitchen, since Gaston's provides dishes, flatware, utensils, pots, pans, etc., and uses most of the cabinet space for these items.

Gaston's staff was friendly and helpful. The ladies who cleaned the cabin were very accommodating. Kitchen and bath linens were generously provided, not like many places we have lodged. Gaston's was also very pleasant about allowing our two toy poodles to stay with us.

We did not make it to the restaurant on this trip - but we will definitely try it out next trip. Friends have highly recommended it.

• Liked — The quality of the cabins and overall accommodations.
  • Disliked — Could have used more kitchen cabinet space.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank JAMNorman_OK
NW, AR
Reviewed 22 April 2005

What a beautiful place to stay. My son and I stayed at Gastons Resort on the White River in March of 2005 for a few days and had an okay time. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking. Of course, we live in Arkansas so pretty much every time we go near a stream or lake the beauty astounds us.

Gastons has a multitude of cabins of varying types right on the river bank and each one is appointed with nice, if dated, furniture and decor. The view from each cabin is of the river which is quite stunning. Each cabin that sports a fireplace is also provided with it's own firewood, which is a nice accommodation, but bring your own starting materials as the wood is green.

The resort has a small game room, a club, a gift shop with lots of pretty cool stuff, a boat dock, aviary, nature trail, outdoor pool (seasonal), conference center, landing strip and a restaurant.

As to the restaurant, they serve one mean breakfast. My son absolutely fell in love with it. Can't say it's not on the pricey side at about $20 for two (with tip) for breakfast, but the coffee and service with a view that just won't quit makes up for it.

If you're there for the fishing, well, I hear it's great. I say this as when we were there in March there was a sum total of 1 (one) fish pulled from the river that we saw or learned about the whole time. Nevertheless, we did take out a boat and fished up and down the river for what seemed like miles, got rained on, frozen, drenched to within an inch of our behinds and still loved it.

We even bank fished the next day and enjoyed that.

What we did not like about our experience at Gastons this trip, and will not tolerate when we return in April 2005, is the rude dock hand. Perhaps he was having a bad day that day but every encounter we had with the guy was unpleasant, to say the least.

Notwithstanding, as I said, we intend to return and this time we're taking the wife along.

Oh, and by-the-way, for you four-wheelers out there- if you get a chance, there's a road labeled as county road 1 that runs directly opposite the resort on the other side of the river...take it. But be careful if it's been raining. Lets just say that we took that road as a shortcut (which it's not) and it's definitely challenging, but fun.

Overall, Gastons is not cheap but it's an okay place to go for peace and quiet and a great time fishing.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank bdb1985
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeview
The River Rock Hotel
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 16 in Mountain Home
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Mountain Home

Been to Gaston's White River Resort? Share your experiences!