“If you vacation Arkansas you should stay @ Gastons, you will be glad you did”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakeview
Gaston's White River Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lakeview
Olathe, Kansas, USA
“If you vacation Arkansas you should stay @ Gastons, you will be glad you did”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

it the justice it deserves. We just returned from another pleasant trip to Arkansas where we stayed at Gaston’s once again, we always do when we can get reservations so call ahead, it's a busy place. Watch out for the deer on the roads in the area, there are many many, horny little devils they must be.

Take a look at the aerial picture on Gaston’s web site and you will see the row of cabins right on the river, there are many; they are big enough if you want space and some small if you don't. We always try to get a cabin with a deck but you can sit in your chairs between your cabin and the river if not. All cabins are on the river as you will see on the web site. Besides the runway for pilots, duh, they have a pool, river boat rental and fishing guide service. If you are like us, we don't fish but we get a boat when the generators are running and just float.

The kids will enjoy the nature center with a hiking trail and the restaurant besides serving great food is a museum in itself with the different antiques hanging on the wall and from the ceiling. We always try to get a table overlooking the river which adds to your good time and they have a bar in the restaurant. You will find that the staff is very friendly and they will take care of you.

I have flown in numerous times, the runway is a nice grass strip but don't fly out loaded as there are high lines at one end of the runway and bluffs at the other end. I'm not trying to scare you but it's a pilot’s airport, you can figure it all out in your pre flight before you fly down or when you leave.

And NO, I never worked there and I am not related, it is just our kind of a place to relax and enjoy. You will too!

Room Tip: Just research or ask questions before you book your room, you can get a condo type room, a cabin or...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Ed - I have recognized Gaston’s White River Resort on Trip Advisor before but I don't think I did
it the justice it deserves."

You made our day !!! Thank you for taking the time and effort to share such a VERY kind review !!!

We have been a family business since 1958 we do every thing can to make our guest happy and hope that they we take great memories.

This makes 52 years for me and I still love each and every day ... I am so lucky to have spent those 52 years here along the White River ... I am a very lucky man :-) :-)

"Jim" Gaston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

By waiting over a month since our trip to the White River, I hope to bring an objective review for your reading pleasure, not just a hot headed blast. Having called ahead to Gastons Resort for a fly fishing guided trip on the White River. I showed up at the appointed hour at the boat dock only to discover my guide did not know anything about fly fishing. The office did get on the phone and called in one of their backup fly guides and he arrived in less than 30 minutes. We loaded up the boat and were off. My guide never left sight of the resort and the river is Over 700 miles long! We caught one trout, beating the same stretch of water to a froth. The equipment was a joke. The cheapest Bass Pro c**p in nonworking condition was provided. The drag did not work, the fly line came off the reel in twisted loops. There were guides missing from the rods. Ok, says I to myself...just make some lemonade.
Here's what got me though. After deciding that the matter did deserve the attention of management, I called the office and spoke to some person in charge. I was told and I quote "If we gave our customers good equipment to use it would only get broke anyway". Needless to say I will NEVER return to Gastons. To be fair the food was good and the room was clean but that still does not make up for their outrageous snarky attitude. If you are a serious fly fisherman steer clear.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank afrigatebird
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank for taking the time to express your feeling about Gaston's White River Resort ... Of course no one enjoy a "bad review". However, I feel the need to make some comments in ref' to your remarks.

Your guide was "West" this is the ONLY "bad" comments we have EVER had about his service ... he is an excellent fly fishing guide. All any guide can not is "put" where the trout are... he can not put a trout on you line.

Yes, the White River is about 700 miles long ... However, only about 100+/- of trout fishing waters.

We check ALL rental equipment rods, reels, boat, motors each evening ...

No we do not rent $1,500 fly rods ... People simply would not pay the rental price. That said we to rent excellent equipment at a very fair price. "Serious fly fisherman" normally bring they on high end fly rods and reels. They problems you state with the equipment, sounds very much like a user problem not equipment.

The statement about the "some person" is simply not true ... It was my grandson and he has been apart of the resort since he want five or six years.

Of course each of us have our views ... If I was to give a review of you, it would the most rude guest of the year.

Once again thank you ... Please feel free to contact me if you have any question or I can be of service.

With Best Wishes,
jim@jimgaston.com
870-431-5204
San Carlos Park, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Even as visitors from Florida that were not staying at the resort, the resort staff bent over backwards to help plan a surprise engagement for my niece and allowed us to use a gazebo by the river for the very special and magical event. The view was breath taking and the NOW engaged couple were extremely grateful and happy for the beautiful spot there on the resort property on the banks of the world famous White River. Gazebo #4 is truly a wondrous spot on the Gaston's resort property and I cannot wait for my niece and her fiancé to return one day with their own family.

*My two nieces, my sister-in-law, and I did also have lunch at the restaurant a few days before (while we were scoping out the location) and it was some great food with an even better view. As we ate lunch we watched people cruising in the john boats up and down the river and my favorite thing is to watch the hummingbirds dine along side us in the large picture windows over the river. Really is a MUST DO if you are visiting the area. Thanks Gaston's staff!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
“Place where magic happens” <blushing> and a BIG :-).

Wow, wow what a kind review and comments !!! I am please that we could be a part of helping making memories for you and your loved ones. After all memories is all we really have in life.

Thank for taking the time and effort to share you comment with all.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

When my family stayed at Gastons Resort we fell in love. To have had it any other place would be unthinkable! The service is amazing. The rooms are cozy and made us feel at home. And the food there will put any big time 5 star restaraunt to shame. There are so many things you can do there, swimming, fishing, boating, hiking, bird watching, there are even arcade games for those gamers. No matter the weather, you'll never be bored.

• Stayed June 2014
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello and good day from the White River and Gaston's White River Resort !!!

Your VERY kind review is most welcome ... It ALWAYS gives a lot of personal pleasure to learn that folks like you enjoyed your visit.

Try and visit this coming fall and enjoy the fall color of the Ozark ... The last two weeks of Oct. and the first two weeks on Nov. Are the best time.

Russellville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Awesome staff! We had a bad experience at a nearby resort on the 2nd day of our 6th day trout fishing trip. Gaston's had one cabin left! Lucky us. They not only let us check in early, they made the remainder our trip great! They are successful because they know how to treat people. It is a beautiful place with lots to do! We will be going back in the fall! Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Great place to stay!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Good day from the White River and Gaston's White River Resort ... Hope that you and your loved ones enjoyed as pleasant weekend as we did ... cool for this time of year :-)

THANK you for your kind comment and rating ... such means a great deal to all of us here at Gaston's and our staff. Looking forward to you next visit ... please let me know anytime or way I can ever be of service.

Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

For approximately 50 years my husbands family has been enjoying the beautiful White River at Gaston's. We always go up for the 4th of July. The river views are breathtaking and the staff at Gaston's are always friendly and helpful. Gaston's is our happy place. My husband has enjoyed Gaston's since he was a child and now his daughter enjoys it and I feel sure we will be taking our grandchildren there one day. It is a wonderful place to make lasting memories.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Greetings from "Jim" Gaston ... Love you very kind review ... it is a TRUE honor to have been a part of your family memories ... memories is really we have in life ... The photo you shared was most welcome also :-)
Wildwood, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed in one of the cabins at Gaston's, the rooms were clean, adequate accommodation, and a great location. It is a family friendly resort and the trout fishing is amazing. Hire a guide we used a guy by the name of Rodger that the resort provided. He was awesome and we had a successful fishing experience. You need an Arkansas fishing license, which you can buy at the office. They are several different size accommodations, something for every size family and they have a beautiful pool.

• Stayed June 2014
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
WOW ... you are so kind to us :-) :-) :-)

"Jim"
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeview
Hampton Inn Mountain Home
#2 of 16 in Mountain Home
Days Inn Mountain Home
Days Inn Mountain Home
#4 of 16 in Mountain Home

Been to Gaston's White River Resort? Share your experiences!