“Still poor”

Crinnions
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Lanchester
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Still poor”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our third trip to this place will, I fear be the last. The service in the bar area is just appalling, the staff seem much more interested in talking between themselves and their mates at the bar rather than serving thirsty customers ...... not the best intro. The restaurant is well laid out but not very clean, our table was very sticky. The table waiting staff were pretty good, the menu was ok but the food was average at best. Cool scallops with undercooked fatty bacon followed by an average cut of lamb. It was not cheap either, average at £70 per couple. Not one of our party of six enjoyed the experience. I'm told it is better at a lunchtime but I for one won't be back to sample that experience. There are better places offering better service for less cash.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Keith C

Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“what a shame”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

nice place good menu but sooo slow over an hour and a half to get lunch staff forgot about us the food was great when it did come but we were then so rushed didn't have time to enjoy

Visited June 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The family had to meet for unfortunate reason and we had the wake here. This place is attached to a butchers which does all the cuts and supplies the meat. They do an amazing spread of sandwiches and cakes. They also have some nice ales on tap. Very friendly staff as well. Shame it is small but a beer garden and a bigger area for a largish marquee compensates. You have to find your own parking but I recommend just finding some where to give this place ago. Seen people eating some of the meals and they looked lush. I will go back but may have to stop somewhere over night as I like a few ales.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Fireblazer2k7
Durham, United Kingdom
“Local gem”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Food and service good. Specials are real value. Wine list reasonable. Have eaten here several times, coffee, lunch and dinner and is a favorite choice for a meal out.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Springwell9
Cullompton, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and ambience”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Clearly a popular venue, the bar area was very busy when we arrived. We were meeting friends who had pre-booked a table although I think we would have been ok without doing so. That said, it is clearly a well supported local restaurant so probably better be safe than sorry.

The menu was clear with a good choice - we went for the two course special at £11.50. A choice of 3 starters and 3 mains, I opted for the salmon and prawns followed by homemade steak pie. Both wee delicious and the chips were divine! My friend had ordered the mixed grill as he couldn't decide what to have. His plate came absolutely loaded and as he stood no chance of eating it all I helped him mop up! And very tasty it was. The owners pride themselves in sourcing local meats and you can tell by the quality of the food that this works.

The service was very good and we hade a great evening here. If I lived anywhere near this place I would most definitely return but a round trip of 700 miles would be excessive for dinner.

So in summary, highly recommended.

• Visited June 2014