“Nice location but scruffy and a technology black out zone”

Premier Inn Maidstone (A26/Wateringbury) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wateringbury
Hertfordshire
“Nice location but scruffy and a technology black out zone”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I usually give PI hotels good write-ups, but sadly this is not going to be one of them. This hotel is on the main road running through the village of Wateringbury. At the door we were greeted by two huge hanging baskets of petunias. Very nice. The other similar baskets hanging along the hotel frontage would have been similarly nice, if only someone had bothered to water them. Instead they were all practically dead. I had a downstairs room at the front - slightly smaller than usual but with a huge window at the end of the room it seemed airy enough (see photo).

The first bad sign was finding several hairs on one of the spare pillows and the other one also looked slept on. Back to reception with those. I later found a hair in the bath. Yuk. Other poor signs of housekeeping were a large area of dirty dust motes on the locked (room adjoinging) door in the bathroom (see photo) and a similar build up of dust coating the cage of the desk fan. This dust had taken a long time to build up. The decor was heavy magnolia and the hotel is in need of a make-over. The coving in my room had a huge stain (see photo) and my bed did not get made on the second day. On checking out I was asked if everything was ok and when I mentioned poor decorative state and the dust motes on fan and door, the housekeeper, who was at the desk at the time, got a bit defensive, excusing the dust by saying the fans had been in constant use. I pointed out it only took 10 seconds to switch a fan off and dust it. I didn't bother mentioning the other issues; I got the feeling they would not go down very well either.

Housekeeping aside, a big problem with this hotel is that you cannot get a signal on your phone unless you stand by the road and have a lucky day. Even the TV kept getting an interupted signal and freezing occasionally. I couldn't even buy any wifi time either for my laptop as there appeared to be no signal to log on to.

I have stayed at many PI hotels but this was the worst for decor and housekeeping. But the IT issues were the final nail in the coffin for me and I would not go back there for this reason alone even if the hotel had been great. Which is a shame as this hotel is in a good location for me to return to.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ashbymouse
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Maidstone (A26/Wateringbury) Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Please email your details to talktous@whitbread.com. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was an overnight stop en route to the Dover Cruise Terminal and we chose it as our first choice was fully booked.
We were not disappointed,however, and the only slight downside was that it was slightly further off the Motorway than Maidstone.
The beds and bed linen were of a superb standard for the money and with a good quality restaurant attached ,it has everything for an over night stop.
The breakfasts were comprehensive with a massive choice even for healthy eaters.
Nothing is too much trouble for the staff attached to Premier Inns. There was no air-con but they had put an efficient fan in every room.
Reliability is what you get!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

My Partner and I stayed here for one night, as he was taking part in the Bewl Triathlon. Its a small hotel with fantastic restaurant attached. The room was clean and tidy with a huge bed. Our room over looked the car park and it is on the main road and at times when we had the window open it was very noisey. But other than that is lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed in the hotel last weekend as I was attending a wedding in the area. We wanted to check in before we got to the wedding so we arrived just before midday. The receptionist was very friendly and advised that check in wasn't available yet but if we could wait till 12.30 they would get a room ready for us. We had plenty of time so went next door to the pub for a drink where they were also offering local strawberries and cherries - nice touch.
As offered our room was ready at 12.30 and we were able to take our bags up to our room. There is no air con but there was a fan available in the room. The room was a good size for a twin, the usual amenities for a premier inn and we had a comfortable stay.
Hot breakfast next day in teh pub was amde to order rather than taking it from a buffet station which I thought was better as it came out fresh and when you wanted it (we have stayed at premier inns before where there is a queue for breakfast as they can't get food out quick enough!)
All in all a good stay - very nice staff, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The reception staff were great but when we got to the room we had only been left 1 bath towel. The problem was quickly resolved with a trip to reception. We look forward to the day Premier Inn offer air con and free unlimited WiFi.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

An enjoyable night, friendly staff, sad they still make you pay for wi-fi

Premier inn Group are still Dinosaurs when it comes to Wi Fi

Good location, good looking place good Beefeater next door

will return

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Warm welcome, great staff, my bedroom a little tired but hotel was an ideal location for my business visit. Nice quiet village location, little traffic in the evening.
My bathroom could have done with a makeover and smaller than average bedroom, still a doudle size but would have been congested if two people shared.
Lovely pub / restuarant next door, good food (better selection than most Premier Inn resturants) and nice choice of real ales. A warm night so sat in lovely beer garden, would have liked to stay more than on night. Would stay here again. Reccomended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wateringbury
Hadlow Manor Hotel
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 15 in Maidstone
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Premier Inn Maidstone (A26/Wateringbury) Hotel? Share your experiences!