“Access to the wonders of the area from a secluded base”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Reading through the previous Tripadvisor reviews for this property it is clear that it is a wonderful place to stay, and for all the right reasons; I agree with all of the accolades, but rather than repeat them I would like to make mention of some other attributes that this resort can lay claim to.
The Nakamanda Resort & Spa is in convenient reach of beautiful and unique islands, the islands, with their limestone karst outcrops, populate the sea in this area, the beaches are second to none – same goes for the snorkeling. This very special area is of course a big attraction for tourist so, after taking in the incredible sights, exploring the beaches and caves, hiking and rock climbing if that is your thing, it is then great to be able to return to the relative seclusion of Nakamanda Resort.
Better yet, you can accomplish the trip in a boat with your very own skipper who lets you stay for as long as you want at each destination.
There are numerous other activities that you can enjoy during your stay but if you would like to participate in them all you had best plan on at least a week; check out the activity page on their website for more details.
Nakamanda is located in a cove that offers an interesting beach used by guests of the resort, when the tide is out you can walk over to an island, when it is in it is a safe place to swim, best of all though is that you can feel somewhat secluded.
I will mention our accommodation however since it too was special, we had a Jacuzzi Villa with a cold, yes cold, Jacuzzi tub -- what a great idea and nice way to cool down. The view was exceptional too, and the sunset stunning.
It has been ten years since the devastating tsunami impacted Thailand but if there are lingering concerns about this happening again it may be of interest to know that the layout of the land around this resort acted like a sea breaker, the wave barely came over the boundary of the resort and caused minimum damage to property. Best of all though, this beautiful resort is built on rising terrain and if all else failed you can take the steps to higher ground.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NormD
Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Firstly, it you're weighing up a trip to Phuket or Krabi, definitely go to Krabi.
Secondly, it's a pity Trip Advisor doesn't do 1/2 star ratings, because I would be minded to give this property 4.5 stars if possible.
This is definitely a beautiful property. It is located around 20 minutes drive from Ao Nang section of Krabi. It is located right on a beautiful beach which is great for swimming and entirely uncrowded.
We stated in the base Sala Villa which was beautiful and roomy.
Excellent friendly service from all the staff.
The pool and poolside area is beautiful, however, can get a little crowded during the day. As a small property, I'm not talking about 100's of people, but there can be a shortage of beach chairs and umbrellas if you're not early. For us this wasn't a problem and we got great chairs each day.
Generally, the food and drinks were excellent with a good selection of both western and local food.
A few main areas for improvement:
1) The air conditioner in the room was ridiculously loud. Whilst it wasn't too much of a problem for us, I'm sure some would find it off-putting.
2) The charge for the shuttle bus to Ao Nang and Krabi town I thought was a bit rich. In a 5 star resort located out of town, I would expect this to be included rather than an opportunity to make money.
3) Like most properties in this part of the world, the general maintenance/upkeep is not 100%. Although it is perfectly clean, it is starting to show it's age a little.
4) Although the omelettes were excellent, I've definitely had better breakfasts in a 5 star hotel.

Overall, I would definitely recommend people stay here and would return here again myself. But, with some small changes, this property would be definitely a 10/10.

Warning: this property has a lot of stairs. I wouldn't recommend it for movement restricted people.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burner84
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I can state that Nakamanda Resort & Spa is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. We arrived at the hotel to experience literally the warmest welcome of our entire life. After spending 20 minutes going through village roads, nothing felt better than having dozens of hotel staff members give the traditional Thai bow to us as we entered the hotel lobby.

We were given Room 2001, which is a hydro pool villa with private rear terrace and pool. The villas are equipped with everything you want - good showers and bathtub, nice beds, tv, living area and private patio. They provide all sorts of useful stuff - flip-flops, shaving kits, moisturizer, mosquito repellent cream, dental kits, minibar and an expresso unit - even Aloe Vera should you overdo it in the sun. The layout of the suite was great, even more private than the standard suites and a nice luxury to have a private hydro pool to unwind in at the end of long days.

The resort itself is landscaped and decorated beautifully, with lovely lush vegetation, fantastically well thought out cozy villas, nice pool and excellent location.

What really makes Nakamanda special though is the staff. Everyone from our housekeeper to the pool staff to the reception treats us like family and is genuinely interested in making our stay as nice as possible. We were greeted by every single staff member we passed and the staff we interacted knew us after a day truly made us feel welcome.

We had a wonderful holiday and are already ‘working through our finances’ to see how quickly we can get back to Nakamanda. I would happily recommend a stay here to anyone and I thank the entire team for looking after us so well on our first visit to Krabi - it won’t be our last.

2  Thank nazrin_navin
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Where does one start? In short don't hesitate and book your stay at Nakamanda - from my experience at Nakamanda you will not regret it.

I have stayed at many 5* resorts over the world and can safely say my 5 night stay at Nakamanda tops every other place I have stayed in. This was especially made by the exceptional staff. Normally I would highlight a couple of staff members but everyone at the resort were an asset to Nakamanda who would go out of their way to help with any queries or questions one had.

I had excellent communication prior to my visit with Ms Por and i recommended a higher floor (those rooms ending in '2' after reading previous reviews). The resort is about 45 minutes drive from the airport and we arrived quite early in the morning. Check in was very quick. Unfortunately, they had no rooms ending in '2' but when we were shown our villa, we were more than happy. Ok it does not have a sea view but we didn't care. (In fact after a couple of days they offered us a room on a higher floor but we were perfectly happy in our room). The resort itself is beautiful structured with only 39 villas. We wanted a nice relaxing 5 days and Nakamanda provided us with this. Although the resort was sold out it never felt busy. Breakfast was good and their restaurant I thought provided good meal options. Yes it is slightly cheaper just outside the resort but quality wasn't as good and portions smaller.

We booked the day tour to Hong Island through the hotel and it was great. The pool is amazing and the villa we had was great. Free wifi throughout the resort and excellent connection.

I would also add that some staff English is not perfect but one has to remember that English is not their first language and how many of us speak Thai? I personally had no problems.

Thank you Nakamanda, Mr Chai and your wonderful staff for providing a memorable visit and I for one can't wait to go back. It truly is paradise if one wants to completely relax.

1  Thank Dharmesh S
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a great place to stay in Krabi! Wonderful staff/service, EXTREMELY accommodating! Luxurious villa like rooms, amazing grounds, feels like you're in a jungle. The pool is gorgeous and right on the beach. It is very "coupley". I wouldn't say it's very family oriented. I went with a friend and we were definitely the outsiders. I took away 1 star for the food which definitely needs improvement and for the very slight smell of sewage in certain parts of the grounds but I think that's in a lot of places because Krabi probably doesn't have the best sewage system. Keep in mind I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell. The location was more secluded I would say. It depends on the type of stay you're looking for but I wouldn't say there is a whole lot going on around the hotel. Across the street there is an amazing thai restaurant. Fresh food and great prices. The hotel can always arrange a car for you though if you prefer to go elsewhere. But overall I do recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Before even arriving at Nakamanda my standards were set pretty high. My expectations were met 10 fold. I cannot rave about this place more. From the truly 10star service upon arrival, to the setting, to the room, the food, the staff and facilities. We stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon trip and we decided it was simply the best hotel we have stayed in too date. The rooms is out of this world including the bath tub area, before arriving we asked for a room on a higher floor but unfortunately we were informed because the hotel was full we couldn't get it. So due to that we received a complementary spa treatment! However upon arrival we soon found out that we did get our requested room plus the free spa treatment! Lovely honeymoon decoration, large bottle of Champaign and fruit waiting in our room for us. Staff waiting on us all day long with a smile and very friendly. The setting is truly unique, and the staff at the restaurant we particularly lovely. Their attention to detail is spectacular. I was so upset to leave, and I will be recommending Nakamanda to everyone and anyone that I know will be travelling to Krabi. The only but only thing that I could fault this place on - but again this is a general phenomenon in Thailand, was the slightly small portions at the restaurant and also the lack of English of many of the staff members. Don't think twice about booking this hotel. It truly deserves its SLH award.

Room Tip: Try get a room on a higher floor and close to the pool, the sunset view from there is spectacular.