“Fantastic week”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Spent a wonderful week at this hotel as part of a two month holiday in Thailand and must say it was my favourite hotel. Loved the layout of the hotel, the gardens, the extra large bathroom, the balcony, even supplied with a mosquito zapper, the pool area where there were always enough comfortable loungers and most of all, the fantastic service. The hotel was in a bay which was very calm. At low tide you could walk across to a small island and when the tide was in it was perfect for swimming. If you wished to take a long beach walk you only had to step a few minutes from the bay onto a long flat beach. Ate in the hotel several times as the setting was beautiful and the food as good as any nearby and very reasonably priced. The barbeque evenings were especially good value. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room low down . There are many steps and it just makes life easier
1  Thank Jackie M

Reviewed 26 March 2014

After my second visit in two years, I cannot stress how much I love this resort. The Thai owner has created a very charming and authentic thai resort. The size of the resort (around 35-40 villas) is truly ideal as it never feels crowded.
You might find cheaper resorts in the area but not of this quality. The service is absolutely charming and they do remember you very well day after day and do their utmost to please.

One of the best aspects of the resort is that while they only have one restaurant, the menu is very extensive and costs nothing (5-7 USD for a starter and 7-10 USD for a main course). There are literally approx. 100 dishes offered in the menu and most are exquisite and truly done in the authentic Thai cuisine.

Positive aspects:
- Comfy villa even the smaller ones that are approximately 40-50m²
- Excellent food & beverage at extremely reasonable prices
- Beautiful sea view
- Excellent swimming pool area
- Feels authentic
- Never crowded even when fully booked
- Very reasonable spa treatments (40 USD for an hour)

Areas for improvement:
- no door to separate the restrooms from the rest of the bathroom which is unfortunate
- Air conditioning is often blowing on the bed so you have to ask staff to fix it for you

I'll come back next year for sure

1  Thank SeamasterFrance
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This boutique resort with only 39 villas is perfect for a relaxed beach getaway. About forty minutes from Krabi airport, it is located on Klong Nuam beach, and is fairly secluded in that there is nothing much else to do around the resort except eat, drink, get a massage and relax by the pool/beach. Aao Nang is much more commercial and is a 20-minute car journey away if seclusion is not your thing.

Each one of the staff members was consistently excellent and, because of the small size of the resort, gave very personalised service. The spa service is excellent too.

We had gone there on our babymoon, and our bed was suitably decorated with flowers etc. on our arrival. My wife's birthday also happened to be during our trip, and the staff was very enthusiastic about helping me surprise her with a birthday cake early in the morning.

We visited in mid March and it was very hot during the day - so much so that one had to stay indoors during mid-day. But the villas were so nice that there was no reason to complain! Perhaps a cooler month would allow one to enjoy the outdoor area more, though.

All in all, a wonderful stay. A highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Higher villas will have a better sea view.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Reading through the previous Tripadvisor reviews for this property it is clear that it is a wonderful place to stay, and for all the right reasons; I agree with all of the accolades, but rather than repeat them I would like to make mention of some other attributes that this resort can lay claim to.
The Nakamanda Resort & Spa is in convenient reach of beautiful and unique islands, the islands, with their limestone karst outcrops, populate the sea in this area, the beaches are second to none – same goes for the snorkeling. This very special area is of course a big attraction for tourist so, after taking in the incredible sights, exploring the beaches and caves, hiking and rock climbing if that is your thing, it is then great to be able to return to the relative seclusion of Nakamanda Resort.
Better yet, you can accomplish the trip in a boat with your very own skipper who lets you stay for as long as you want at each destination.
There are numerous other activities that you can enjoy during your stay but if you would like to participate in them all you had best plan on at least a week; check out the activity page on their website for more details.
Nakamanda is located in a cove that offers an interesting beach used by guests of the resort, when the tide is out you can walk over to an island, when it is in it is a safe place to swim, best of all though is that you can feel somewhat secluded.
I will mention our accommodation however since it too was special, we had a Jacuzzi Villa with a cold, yes cold, Jacuzzi tub -- what a great idea and nice way to cool down. The view was exceptional too, and the sunset stunning.
It has been ten years since the devastating tsunami impacted Thailand but if there are lingering concerns about this happening again it may be of interest to know that the layout of the land around this resort acted like a sea breaker, the wave barely came over the boundary of the resort and caused minimum damage to property. Best of all though, this beautiful resort is built on rising terrain and if all else failed you can take the steps to higher ground.

1  Thank NormD
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Firstly, it you're weighing up a trip to Phuket or Krabi, definitely go to Krabi.
Secondly, it's a pity Trip Advisor doesn't do 1/2 star ratings, because I would be minded to give this property 4.5 stars if possible.
This is definitely a beautiful property. It is located around 20 minutes drive from Ao Nang section of Krabi. It is located right on a beautiful beach which is great for swimming and entirely uncrowded.
We stated in the base Sala Villa which was beautiful and roomy.
Excellent friendly service from all the staff.
The pool and poolside area is beautiful, however, can get a little crowded during the day. As a small property, I'm not talking about 100's of people, but there can be a shortage of beach chairs and umbrellas if you're not early. For us this wasn't a problem and we got great chairs each day.
Generally, the food and drinks were excellent with a good selection of both western and local food.
A few main areas for improvement:
1) The air conditioner in the room was ridiculously loud. Whilst it wasn't too much of a problem for us, I'm sure some would find it off-putting.
2) The charge for the shuttle bus to Ao Nang and Krabi town I thought was a bit rich. In a 5 star resort located out of town, I would expect this to be included rather than an opportunity to make money.
3) Like most properties in this part of the world, the general maintenance/upkeep is not 100%. Although it is perfectly clean, it is starting to show it's age a little.
4) Although the omelettes were excellent, I've definitely had better breakfasts in a 5 star hotel.

Overall, I would definitely recommend people stay here and would return here again myself. But, with some small changes, this property would be definitely a 10/10.

Warning: this property has a lot of stairs. I wouldn't recommend it for movement restricted people.

1  Thank Burner84
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I can state that Nakamanda Resort & Spa is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. We arrived at the hotel to experience literally the warmest welcome of our entire life. After spending 20 minutes going through village roads, nothing felt better than having dozens of hotel staff members give the traditional Thai bow to us as we entered the hotel lobby.

We were given Room 2001, which is a hydro pool villa with private rear terrace and pool. The villas are equipped with everything you want - good showers and bathtub, nice beds, tv, living area and private patio. They provide all sorts of useful stuff - flip-flops, shaving kits, moisturizer, mosquito repellent cream, dental kits, minibar and an expresso unit - even Aloe Vera should you overdo it in the sun. The layout of the suite was great, even more private than the standard suites and a nice luxury to have a private hydro pool to unwind in at the end of long days.

The resort itself is landscaped and decorated beautifully, with lovely lush vegetation, fantastically well thought out cozy villas, nice pool and excellent location.

What really makes Nakamanda special though is the staff. Everyone from our housekeeper to the pool staff to the reception treats us like family and is genuinely interested in making our stay as nice as possible. We were greeted by every single staff member we passed and the staff we interacted knew us after a day truly made us feel welcome.

We had a wonderful holiday and are already ‘working through our finances’ to see how quickly we can get back to Nakamanda. I would happily recommend a stay here to anyone and I thank the entire team for looking after us so well on our first visit to Krabi - it won’t be our last.

2  Thank nazrin_navin
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Where does one start? In short don't hesitate and book your stay at Nakamanda - from my experience at Nakamanda you will not regret it.

I have stayed at many 5* resorts over the world and can safely say my 5 night stay at Nakamanda tops every other place I have stayed in. This was especially made by the exceptional staff. Normally I would highlight a couple of staff members but everyone at the resort were an asset to Nakamanda who would go out of their way to help with any queries or questions one had.

I had excellent communication prior to my visit with Ms Por and i recommended a higher floor (those rooms ending in '2' after reading previous reviews). The resort is about 45 minutes drive from the airport and we arrived quite early in the morning. Check in was very quick. Unfortunately, they had no rooms ending in '2' but when we were shown our villa, we were more than happy. Ok it does not have a sea view but we didn't care. (In fact after a couple of days they offered us a room on a higher floor but we were perfectly happy in our room). The resort itself is beautiful structured with only 39 villas. We wanted a nice relaxing 5 days and Nakamanda provided us with this. Although the resort was sold out it never felt busy. Breakfast was good and their restaurant I thought provided good meal options. Yes it is slightly cheaper just outside the resort but quality wasn't as good and portions smaller.

We booked the day tour to Hong Island through the hotel and it was great. The pool is amazing and the villa we had was great. Free wifi throughout the resort and excellent connection.

I would also add that some staff English is not perfect but one has to remember that English is not their first language and how many of us speak Thai? I personally had no problems.

Thank you Nakamanda, Mr Chai and your wonderful staff for providing a memorable visit and I for one can't wait to go back. It truly is paradise if one wants to completely relax.

1  Thank Dharmesh S
Beyond Resort Krabi
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!