“Oh sweet Nakamanda, how we love thee!”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Oh sweet Nakamanda, how we love thee!”
Reviewed 7 February 2009

I hesitated before writing this review, as I normallly keep good things to myself. But I must do my duty!

My wife and I have just returned from a memorable stay at this beautiful place. If you want to be near the shops, have lotsof nightlife on offer, and lay on the finest beach, then please look elsewhere.

If, on the other hand, you want to slow down awhile, hear the waves on the shore, feel the breezes of the Andaman on your face as you dine, hear the birds at dusk, and want genuine 'best in class' service, then read on...........

From the moment we were met at Krabi Airport by the irrepressable Dao, (don't underestimate this little lady, she organises everything you want during your stay, with grace and enthusiasm) we knew this was going to be a great experience.

It was a special trip for us, so we booked a pool villa (try it if you can - its really special) but all of the accomodation is very high quality, spacious, cool, and private.

The 39 rooms sit on a gentle hillside, between reception, and the beach, and the pool is enormous. The open-air restaurant is divinely situated on a deck, with tables strung out along the beach-edge, where you can dine with sensational views. In front of the Hotel is a small (mainly sandy) bay, and whether the tide is in or out, its a beguiling spot.

The add-on facilities for a Hotel of this size are excellent (internet, gym, gift shop, and a superb spa and treatments programme which you really must try!)

The food? Well, we're fussy, and can tell you its damned good! Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, you can choose 'Thai' or 'Western' dishes. Wine is a bit pricey, but hey, you are on holiday! The quality of the food and presentation was always of the highest order.

The service? The staff to guest ratio is very high, and all of them seem determined that you will have a fantastic stay. Nothing is too much trouble, and I really don't know how they keep the standard so high for all guests, so just sit back, relax, and enjoy being pampered.

There are plenty of wonderful things to do in the area. We went to the night markets and foodstalls in Krabi town, (be brave! its fantastic!) a 4-island speedboat tour, and elephant ride in the jungle. Our best tip is to hire your personal longtail boat, and go snorkelling to nearby Hong island. Its divine, but go early, as other day trippers turn up in numbers from late morning.

In summary, its better than the brochure, it really is. Oh, and by the way, my final advice is not to book the pool villa in early February next year, because we will be there already.

Thankyou Nakamanda for giving us outstanding memories, and a beautiful stay.

Gareth and Melanie Jones

• Liked — Tranquil location and quality of service
  • Disliked — Nothing to say!
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DavidSuzanneBob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Chicago
Reviewed 29 January 2009

what a FANTASTIC hotel!! you must stay here if you want to spend quality time with your loved one.. its a 20 min drive from ao nang which is a problem if you like to shop.. the hotel is self sufficient though and the spa is amazing!! i would definitely re visit! enjoy :)

Stayed January 2009
2 Thank traveltheworld2001
Dublin
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We stayed at Nakamanda Resort&Spa for 3 weeks in November and our overall stay was far beyond our expectations!!!! The hotel was absolutely amazing and that was definitely the best hotel we have ever stayed.
The Sala Villa which we had was breathtaking, spotless and clean...the room was immaculate and excellent with the most comfortable bed and pillows we have ever enjoyed. Brilliant over sized bathtub and pressure shower, very nice cosmetics, robes and slippers.His and her bathroom areas were brilliant.We did enjoy it...The ouside verandah was a lovely place to sit and relax ..
The staff was professional and excellent - everyone!!! We were escorted to our room at check in and given a thorough tour by Dao - wonderful person, she look after us during our whole stay and she was amazing, charming and professional...She could not do enough for us...thanks a million Dao for everything...
Every day a High Tea was served in the Living Room betw een 2 and 5 o'clock and the pastries and cakes were just delicious...Thanks Nut for a lovely service, your pretty smile and everything you did for us.
Breakfast was outstanding: cooked and continental, staff who served us especially Jig,Narm, Bee were lovely, we always had a nice chat with them, they were so informative and helpful...we shared many laugh with them every morning..:-)
The landscape is stunning and hotel has a private beach...you can also take a canoe to explore the nearby areas - good fun, definitely worth trying!!! Swimming pool is just amazing and so huge.....
Loved the whole experience and would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a special treat...PAMPER YOURSELF..YOU WILL LOVE IT FOR SURE.
We would love to thank Rit,Dao,Po,Narm,Jig,Cook,Nut,Nuk,Bee and all the staff whose names we do not remember...thanks for everything guys, you will stay in our hearts forever!!!
Ela and Marcin

• Liked — We loved absolutely everything!!!!
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2008
2 Thank ElaMarcin
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Just returned from a 3 night birthday treat ... and I wish I could go back tomorrow!

Architecture's pretty stunning, food's fab, service excellent! And those heavenly spa treatments ...... worth every penny and then some! Only gripe I have is the bed .... mattress is too firm and this is worsened because of the hardwood base. I know firm mattresses are good for bad backs but my pain-free back didn't do too well during those 3 nights. That said, it's a small price to pay for such bliss!

• Liked — The excellent food!
  • Disliked — The bed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulesB66
Mexico
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Great place. Basically has its own private beach. And you can use the kayaks to paddel around a nice little island just in front of the hotel. The pool is reallly nice and the kitchen cooks reaaally good!
Amazing service, great ultra friendly staff. Dont go to the big and crowded hotels. stay in this one!

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank MexicoMac
Brisbane
Reviewed 6 November 2008

My Husband and I have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Nakamanda Resort, Krabi. At the risk of sounding like an overdose of superlatives, there really is only one word to describe our stay there and that is "flawless". From the minute we were picked up at Krabi International Airport by the wonderful, bubbly and informative Dao (Nakamanda's Concierge), our holiday truly began and the service upon which the Nakamanda prides itself really came into its own.

We had booked a Sala Vila (501) which was just lovely. We were pretty exhausted after our long flight and one of the things I really loved was having a bath and watching the rain fall on the glass ceiling above- an outdoor bath completely private and still undercover. The room is spacious and well-designed and the his and her bathroom areas are wonderful as well. The outside day bed is a lovely place to relax, read and chat. A couple of mornings, the staff served us breakfast on our verandah and I cannot tell you how pretty the whole place looks when you watch the rain over the trees and out over the water.

As part of the Nakamanda experience, a daily High Tea (which is included in the room rate) is served in the "Living Room". Every day there are different cakes and pastries and the Coffee is really good. On the first day, because we were still so tired, we wondered if we could take the cakes and coffee in our room. I was on my way to ask, when I was asked very nicely if I was lost? It was in fact the Owner, Eric who was supervising the planting of new garden undergrowth. We struck up a conversation and he said that he had studied his Masters at Bond University on the Gold Coast. We later had several conversations with Eric and really enjoyed hearing his vision for Nakamanda, his staff philosophy and how the resort has come to be what it is today. Eric, is to be complimented on his Staff (as well as the overall Resort Design,) as they are all wonderful and they are a genuine credit to him.

That night, we were still pretty tired, but went down to eat at the restaurant by the Pool that looks out over the little Bay and Island. The Chef and Restaurant staff take great pride in making their guests happy and the Chef even came out personally to ask what we would like. Being really jetlagged, we were more concerned that we were hurting his feelings as we were too tired to eat a feast, so we said just something small and we let me choose. What came out was lovely, one of the dishes was prawns wrapped in a type of dry noodle and fried- excellent.

The Breakfast too was awesome. During our stay it was served a la carte. Dao explained that she and the staff make a note on each guest of what they like and how they like their preferences served. Since I had said that I love red pawpaw, they went to the market and this was served everyday, along with the dry crispy bacon as requested and fresh guava juice. We give a genuine 10/10 for the breakfasts as they are very special and it is a wonderful way to start the day, looking out over the water of which the beachscape changes as the tides go in and out. We shared many a laugh with the staff each morning.

Rit, is the Head Concierge and on the third Day asked if we would like him to take us on a Day Tour. He took us to the Hot Springs, Emerald Pool and Tiger Temple. He really went out of his way to give us a lovely Day, and the flowing conversation was enjoyed as well. Thankyou Rit and we have since found that you also took some really great photos on our camera for us.

Dao, took us to nearby Ao Nang for dinner on the second night and we ended up having a great seafood dinner in one of the many restaurants along the beach. I also had two lovely silk dresses made, at excellent prices and quality at one of the Tailors there. The service was excellent and they even came out to Nakamanda for one of the fittings- Thankyou Royal Tailors, Ao Nang.

I cant review the Spa as we went to the little massage place outside the Nakamanda. This gave us more pleasure to do so as being low season the trade was very quite and the owners went out of the way to please us. One night we didnt leave until midnight as they gave us an extra long Thai Massage which was excellent too and very well priced. One night my husband was too late to buy cigarettes and one of the daughters just jumped on her motorbike and came back with a packet- out of nowhere! We explained to the Nakamanda that we wanted to give a little back to the shops outside the Resort and they understood. I am sure the Spa is great though as we did look in and it was very clean and smelt great. Another Couple said they had been and rated it as excellent.

I really want to give a heartfelt thankyou to Dao who will be in our hearts forever. She and the Nakamanda Driver, Nuk, came with us on a day trip to Phuket which is only about 2 1/2 hrs away by car. We had a lovely day and met up with some friends from home. Again, the conversation and general fun was flowing and natural and it was one of those great days. The next day our friends drove up from Phuket to see what Krabi was all about, and Dao and the staff put on a wonderful lunch at a table right next to the beach and all the Nakamanda staff went out of their way to make sure our guests had a lovely time. Dao then organised a long boat to take us to Pha Nang Bay and dinner in Ao Nang and again, I risk being accused of verbal overkill, the experience was so fun and has created some really wonderful memories.

ALL, the Staff at the Nakamanda are to be praised and if I have missed any I hope I dont give any offence. The Resort surroundings are truly beautiful but it is the staff with their lovely smiles and heartfelt genousity of spirit that make this Hotel stand out above any that I have ever stayed in before.

So, I must thank Rit, Dao, Num, Au, Chai, Made, Lik, Jig, Ya, Nut (Good Afternoon!), Fa, Chai (2), Bum (prounounced Boom), Nu, Anna-phut, and Apple for giving us a truly wonderful holiday and I hope that this review will encourage others to come and stay there as if you are looking for a "honeymoon", experience no matter how many years you have been married, then I can only recomend this hotel to the highest degree.

Most Genuinely,

Dianne & Stephen Tam, Brisbane

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TamsBrisbane
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 July 2008

The Nakamanda is an incredibly beautiful resort. EXPENSIVE but worth it. Highly recommend it. Service is impeccable; rooms are large, well appointed with all the amenities one could ask for. With this said, the staff can be better trained to assist Western/European clientele whose expectations and demand for service is different than Asian visitors.The staff works quite hard to please but guests who misinterpret Thai hospitality, gentle presentation of service as inefficiency will get impatient.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Beyond Resort Krabi
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!