“Peaceful retreat in luxury”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Peaceful retreat in luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

We are an American couple living in Bangkok that wanted to spend a weekend away from all the hustle and bustle. For a relaxing, quiet, luxurious retreat with personalized, friendly service, Nakamanda is the way to go. This is a boutique hotel located in a secluded beach far away from the crowded, touristy, party-going atmosphere.

We were picked up at the airport by the hotel concierge and a driver and were provided cool towels and water for the ride. During the 45 minute ride to the hotel the concierge was very welcoming and spoke excellent English. She informed us about the various activities offered and we ended up booking a private speed boat tour for the next day. Upon our arrival, our bags were carried off and we sat in the open air lobby and were given welcome drinks as they collected and processed our passports, etc. Then, the concierge escorted us through the grounds and showed us to our room. It appeared that the natural landscape was minimally impacted when building the resort. There were plenty of trees about, birds chirping, frogs and geckos seen off the paths. The villas were nicely spaced out and blended well with the natural environment. In my opinion the grounds offered a more personalized, relaxing, and local feel versus a towering hotel with elevators and cookie-cutter rooms. As a result, expect a few extra stairs when walking across the resort - this did not bother us but might to other people (note that there are no ramps for wheelchair accessibility). The resort sits on a small bay that is filled with beautiful blue water during high tide that transforms to a muddy waterless pit during low tide. The pool, bar, and restaurant are positioned closest to the bay so that the view is enjoyed during high tide at breakfast and dinner. For clarification from other reviews, there is a stand alone bar near the beach side sitting area by the restaurant.

We chose the garden view sala villa and were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. The room was large with a comfortable king sized bed, TV, and sitting area. The bathroom was huge with separate his and her sinks and ample closet space. There was a separate standing shower that is quite big, separate toilet, and a large bathtub for 2 under a skylight. The bathroom area also had some trickling ponds with plants in it and real fish swimming around. The entrance of the villa had a private terrace with a sitting area and day bed. Our villa was on the first floor and privacy could be an issue if the curtain were left up and someone walking by were purposefully trying to look in. We didn’t think it was a big deal and simply closed the curtains if needed.

The resort offered a wonderful buffet style breakfast located by the pool with tables closer to the beach as well. The had both western and Asian style food, plenty of fruit, pastries, meat, made to order eggs, and a la carte ordering. We always left breakfast full. The afternoon tea was in the lounge where they offered several types of tea and yummy cakes, cookies, and snacks. We could enjoy the outdoor seating or sit inside in the air conditioning and watch the big screen TV, read a magazine, or play games.

The service at Nakamanda was truly exception. The concierge was always greeting us by our names whenever she saw us and always asked how our day went or if we needed anything. We always saw her greeting other guests as well, playing with their kids, and making recommendations and arrangements. She was extremely helpful and friendly, yet not overbearing. During breakfast she showed us how to eat longan and we chatted about our previous night out and how we liked the local beer. She told us she would have an ice chest with ice ready for our beers for the boat tour. She also surprised us by adding a box full of longan since we enjoyed them so much at breakfast.

We did try out the spa facility and booked the sunburn relief therapy on our last day. This included a sit in the sauna, a light massage, and a cold body wrap of some cucumber mixture. I’m not sure how much it helped my sunburn, but the therapy was nice and relaxing.

The hotel provided us transportation to the nearby city of Ao Nang. They recommended a seafood restaurant and dropped us off at the place. It was a big place that offered lots of dishes. Everything we had was delicious. Later, we walked around, did some shopping and enjoyed the magnificent sunset over the water. For a cheap bar, start at the large seafood restaurant and walk on the beach-side sidewalk away from the bridge. There is a small stand-alone hut that serves cheap, yet strong drinks.

The private speed boat tour is a must do in Krabi, and it’s the only way to visit the Phi Phi islands (longboats are too slow). While it is a little expensive, it is well worth the splurge - after all isn’t the point of being in Krabi to check out the postcard-like islands in seclusion and not with a bunch of other tourists? After breakfast, our boat was waiting in the bay right by the hotel. It was a nicely sized and very modern speed boat complete with a driver and 2 helpers. We spent the entire day island hopping, snorkeling, laying on beaches, jumping cliffs, etc. If we thought an island was too crowded, we simply told the driver to move on until we found a more secluded spot. There were several times when we had an entire island to ourselves! We noticed that other boats were packed with tourists and had set stops for short periods of time. What a drag. Having your own private speed boat means going wherever you want and spending as much time as you want at each place. Again, I highly recommend booking this. The next day, we booked a private longboat and checked out the nearby islands, most notably Hong island. The cove at Hong island is beautiful but there were too many people there for our liking. We ended up going to a more quieter place for some relaxation. Later that day when we returned, the concierge recommended we walk along the beach to the Sheraton to watch the elephant bath in the ocean. 10 minutes later we were watching the elephant getting wet and playing with the tourists. Pretty neat.

We had dinner at the Nakamanda restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the set menu. While a bit overpriced, they served good (I wouldn’t say the best, but far from bad based on our experience living in Bangkok) Thai food, a decent wine list, and an interesting selection of desserts (the pumpkin with ice cream was great!). The atmosphere was great as we sat at beachside a candlelit table. Another dinner option is the grill. They have a display of freshly caught seafood where you can pick what you want and they will grill it right there on an open fire for you.

Overall, we loved staying at Nakamanda for it’s quiet seclusion and top notch service. We plan on making a repeat visits.

4 Thank liveitup29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

The headline covers it all. We stayed 5 nights at Nakamanda for our honeymoon and it was nothing short of a wow experience. Something about this place is so special that i find it hard to express in words, from the personalized top notch service, the beautiful scenery, the great food to the architecture and the ambiance everything is amazing!
We have stayed in our 3 weeks of honeymoon in 4 luxury resorts in the south of Thailand and no doubt that Nkamanda was one of the best if not the best we stayed in.
If I am really pushed against the wall and need to say something less good to make my review more reliable I would say that the location is not exactly lively and is 20 a min drive to the closest shopping area (wasn’t such a minus for our needs) and that in a room in this type of hotel I would expect a flat screen TV and not an old CRT, but seriously, I really needed to think hard to say something less then amazing on this place.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan_Einav
Avon, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

This was our second time staying at Nakamanda and nothing had changed from last year. It is still fantastic!

The rooms are excellent, king size bed and the bathroom has his and her sinks and there is a glass ceiling above the bath so you can look at the stars whilst relaxing in the tub.

The food is very good, I looked forward to the huge choice at breakfast each morning.

All the staff at Nakamanda are so friendly and helpful they really complete this fantastic resort, in particular, Rit, Dao and Jip at the pool, talking of which the pool is huge and very clean.

On our last day we went for a massage in the spa and we both came out saying that was the best massage we'd ever had, would definitely recomend it.

I'm sure we'll be returning next year!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank missnbs
Ludlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

We had a week at Nakamanda in late February and can safely say that it surpassed our expectations. The staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. Special mention to Rit and Dao who looked after us so well. The food, accomodation and spa were world class. Plenty of local places to wander out to for a meal or a drink. I would recommend this place 100% particularly for a quiet, relaxing break.

2 Thank Chrisvh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

I found this hotel thanks to TripAdvisor and after staying there, I understand why many love this place. If you want total tranquility, peace, and relaxation Nakamanda is for you.

After spending 3 weeks working in Pattaya, I didn't need Ao Nang. I needed Klong Muang and its small and slow living.

Service is amazing. From Dao the consierge who rode in our van after picking us at the airport (energetic and full of life), to Jig our breakfast waitress (graceful and kind), and to the gift shop girl who kept on giving me gifts and was so happy to see me buy items in their lovely little shop! They and the others made my stay memorable. Dao even had someone waiting for me outside my room when I departed to help with the luggage! And she was always there after a tour to ask if everything went well. The staff is the best!

The beach is deserted! At night, it's romantic for a stroll (during low tide), during the day it's a great place to walk and get some exercise.

Although the hotel has a wonderful restaurant for meals, there are less expensive options (The Coconut, next to Paddy's is my favorite for Thai food.....they serve pastas and other items as well but I can't vouch for any of those items).

There's a Jamaican bar on the beach (turn right after leaving the property) where I watched the sunset every night with a drink and great peanuts. And you can get a massage next door (she's good).

My favorite massage place was next to a little convenience type store to the left of the hotel on the street. She worked hard to get the knots out of my shoulders.

Back to the hotel..... the pool is beautiful. There are no chairs on the beach, but there are chairs facing the water on the property. The cove that the hotel faces had jellyfish and is a little muddy. It's not very deep even during high tide (low tide is REALLY low).

The rooms are stocked with everything! Mosquito repellant stick, razor, and aloe vera gel were a nice surprise. A nice beach bag with 2 towels, 4 bottles of water per day! :-)

The outdoor sitting area is great way to relax in the evening or check email on the *free* wireless network. I lucked out and had a room near a hub so my connection was excellent even indoors.

I took a number of tours through the hotel, which were all top-notch and inexpensive. Hot lunches are much better than the boxed lunches I saw other tours had.

All in all, I loved my stay. Although I came for R&R and ended up having to work a little, working in paradise made it OK. The bar area, overlooking the calm water of the cove with a breeze blowing on a sunny day is the best "office" ever!

• Liked — The staff is excellent
  • Disliked — It's not a dazzling white beach
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank honhi96825
Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

I hesitated before writing this review, as I normallly keep good things to myself. But I must do my duty!

My wife and I have just returned from a memorable stay at this beautiful place. If you want to be near the shops, have lotsof nightlife on offer, and lay on the finest beach, then please look elsewhere.

If, on the other hand, you want to slow down awhile, hear the waves on the shore, feel the breezes of the Andaman on your face as you dine, hear the birds at dusk, and want genuine 'best in class' service, then read on...........

From the moment we were met at Krabi Airport by the irrepressable Dao, (don't underestimate this little lady, she organises everything you want during your stay, with grace and enthusiasm) we knew this was going to be a great experience.

It was a special trip for us, so we booked a pool villa (try it if you can - its really special) but all of the accomodation is very high quality, spacious, cool, and private.

The 39 rooms sit on a gentle hillside, between reception, and the beach, and the pool is enormous. The open-air restaurant is divinely situated on a deck, with tables strung out along the beach-edge, where you can dine with sensational views. In front of the Hotel is a small (mainly sandy) bay, and whether the tide is in or out, its a beguiling spot.

The add-on facilities for a Hotel of this size are excellent (internet, gym, gift shop, and a superb spa and treatments programme which you really must try!)

The food? Well, we're fussy, and can tell you its damned good! Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, you can choose 'Thai' or 'Western' dishes. Wine is a bit pricey, but hey, you are on holiday! The quality of the food and presentation was always of the highest order.

The service? The staff to guest ratio is very high, and all of them seem determined that you will have a fantastic stay. Nothing is too much trouble, and I really don't know how they keep the standard so high for all guests, so just sit back, relax, and enjoy being pampered.

There are plenty of wonderful things to do in the area. We went to the night markets and foodstalls in Krabi town, (be brave! its fantastic!) a 4-island speedboat tour, and elephant ride in the jungle. Our best tip is to hire your personal longtail boat, and go snorkelling to nearby Hong island. Its divine, but go early, as other day trippers turn up in numbers from late morning.

In summary, its better than the brochure, it really is. Oh, and by the way, my final advice is not to book the pool villa in early February next year, because we will be there already.

Thankyou Nakamanda for giving us outstanding memories, and a beautiful stay.

Gareth and Melanie Jones

• Liked — Tranquil location and quality of service
  • Disliked — Nothing to say!
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank DavidSuzanneBob
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

what a FANTASTIC hotel!! you must stay here if you want to spend quality time with your loved one.. its a 20 min drive from ao nang which is a problem if you like to shop.. the hotel is self sufficient though and the spa is amazing!! i would definitely re visit! enjoy :)

Stayed January 2009
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,338 reviews
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!