“I just wish the owner would take this critigue”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Bangkok
“I just wish the owner would take this critigue”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I just wish the owner would take this critique seriously. I am a Thai and had stayed there nearly ten years ago. It is a beautiful place. I am very sad that after nearly ten years the writer from Mianz fairly and correctly stated her case. I just wish the owner just do something to make this into a real 5 stars hotel. I just wish them well since it will take just so little effort; for our country's travel reputation.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed at the Nakamanda for 1 week at the beginning of March. When we first arrived following a 7 night stay in Khao Lak we were slightly disappointed, but couldnt put our finger on why that was, however after a couple of days the place really does grow on you, so much so we didnt want to leave!

We were allocated an upstairs room which had a lovely view through the tree tops to the beach below. The bedrooms are very comfortable, huge comfy bed, great bathrooms with double sinks, a very large shower, bath and separate toilet.

We spent most of our days chilling out around the swimming pool and walking on the beach. We thought the beach was lovely, especially when the tide was in, the sea water was really clear, we really enjoyed going into the sea here. The guys around the pool were great, filling your glass with chilled water constanty or moving sunbeds and umbrellas as required.

Breakfast was served on a decking area overlooking the beach, the sea and the islands beyond. The breakfast selection was good, everything you could possibly want. Latte and cappucinno coffee was also available if you asked the waiters at no extra cost.

At night we tried 3 of the local restaurants but were not impressed at all, we found the food bland at all 3 that we tried plus they are located on a main road where huge lorries are passing by on their way to the peir nearby to drop off building materials.

We also ate at the hotel restaurant at night where the food is great and not too expensive, the location looking over the beach and the rocks which are lit up watching the crabs beats sitting up on the main road watching the lorries go by.

We had a lovely day out on a long tail boat visiting neary local islands including hong island which has a fabulous beach and emerald green sea.

We found all the staff excellent, friendly and professional. All in all I would totally recommend this hotel for a quiet, relaxing holiday.

Manchester
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My husband and I spent 8 nights at the Nakamanda at the beginning of March 2010. We were looking for a place with nice accommodation, where we could relax, soak up the sun but, have the opportunity to get out and about if we wanted it.

We booked directly with the Nakamanda and got a very good rate. We arranged for a transfer from the airport – nothing nicer after a long flight than a chilled bottle of water and cool towel plus, a smart air conditioned car. On arriving at the hotel, it looks very unremarkable. Don’t get me wrong, it was nice with traditional woods and design but, because the resort is set on a hill and is very small, it’s not until you’ve been there a few days that you appreciate the place. As some people have mentioned, the Nakamanda really does grow on you.

Reception is at the entrance near the main road and then you wind yourself through the pathways to the salas and down to the beach, pool and restaurant. The pool was really pretty and very big – it’s nice to get a pool which is actually something you can do some serious swimming in. It would be nice if the white sun loungers were replaced with wooden ones since they are a bit of an eye sore. For exercise, there was also a gym with a bike, treadmill and some weights but, it was nothing spectacular.

Room
From reading other reviews on Trip Advisor, I requested a sala on the first floor and we got 1812 which was towards the back of the resort. The room was nice and traditional in design with lots of wood and light fabrics. There was a seating area at the foot of the large bed. Behind the bed was the dressing area with 2 sinks and beyond that the bath, toilet and separate shower. There was always a fresh supply of towels, toiletries and you even got a beach basket and some flip flops as well as a robe. We had an outside covered deck but to be honest, it was too hot to sit out. Another plus is the free water. I hate nothing more than having to go out to the local shops to stock up on water when you are staying in a nice hotel. At the Nakamanda you certainly won’t go short and I drink a lot of water!

For breakfast there was a buffet with a large selection of fruit and cereals. You could also get eggs cooked to order and there were pastries and bread. The buffet was good for me since I love fruit but for some I would imagine it would get a little boring. Some home made fresh bread instead of shop bought would have been nice.

We ate lunch hat the hotel everyday and this was great with a selection of Asian or Western sandwiches and pizza. It was really nice to have lunch sat out on the deck by the beach. We also had dinner here – the outside tables were popular so you some times had to reserve them. Again, the evening food (we only ate the Asian food) was wonderful and very tasty. You must try the soft shell crab and also the seafood steamed in a coconut – delicious. All the food at the hotel was really reasonable priced and with the added benefit of eating by the sea it made for a great dining experience.

We also ate at the Coconut Restaurant (out of the entrance, to the left next to Paddy’s Pub). Lovely food and service but, the sound of the large trucks going past to pick up aggregates from the port down the road wasn’t very relaxing. We also tried dinner at the restaurant on the beach (to the left of the hotel on the way to the Sheraton). The food was okay but not great. A favourite place was the Terrace Restaurant outside the entrance to the Sheraton Hotel. It was set back from the road so the noise of the trucks wasn’t too bad. The food here was excellent.

The beach
As other people have mentioned, the beach outside the hotel is a little rocky and it’s very tidal so there are only a few days when you can go swimming. However, the view was stunning. The beach to the left of the hotel towards the Sheraton was much nicer and cleaner than in the other direction.

Spa
I had a couple of Thai massages in the spa and the therapist certainly knew what they were doing! I found it a little hard to walk afterwards but, they certainly got rid of some niggling knots and a few days later my calves had never felt better. There was a promotion on which made the treatments good value.

Diving
The hotel recommended Manta Point Divers, who were a great outfit. My husband and I were collected by the owner, Keith, an English man who opened the dive company with his wife a few years ago. It was so nice to have a private transfer to Ao Nang and not be on a dodgy van that resembles a cattle truck. The boat and the equipment were new and in great condition. There were only 6 divers and it was lovely (as 40 years olds) to have older, very experienced dive guides, Keith and Peter. We dived the wreck of the King Cruiser, Shark Point, and Anemone Reef and it was wonderful; the plentiful fish and corals, beautiful colours and the highlight of patting a Leopard Shark! If you go diving you must use these guys.

When we first arrived I thought the service at the restaurant was little brusque but, after a few days everyone gets to know you and actually, the guys and girls there are really friendly and the service was excellent.

At the beach and around the pool, the guys really looked after us, constantly filling our glasses with water, moving beds and generally looking after us. Thanks!

All in all we had a lovely stay at the Nakamanda and would whole heartedly recommend it for a relaxing holiday.

london
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We stayed here for a week and a half in March and had a great time. I was very pleasantly surprised at the rooms - very good quality and a lot of thought had gone into the design. We only stayed in the standard room, but it had a fantastic bath with a skylight and fish ponds on either side and a walk- in shower as well as his and hers wash basins. The view was lovely and there was a large private terrace where we could just about see the sea and lounge on the day bed. I found the bed to be too hard, for me but my husband didn't agree with me.

We were v lazy and ordered breakfast everyday. The staff were very lovely but we often had trouble getting them to understand us. However their English was a lot better than my Thai so I can't complain but I did find it quite irritating that every time we dialled recpetion we had to wait for the person who answered the phone to put us onto a member of staff who could speak English.

We ate at the restaurant several times which was very good value and had a lovely chilled out atmosphere without being too dead. The menu was half Thai food and half western food. The thai food was so good and with a decent variety we didn't actually order too much western stuff. My only negative comment was that the only white wine they do by the glass is chardonnay so if you're not a chardonnay person you end up having to order by the bottle which isn't cheap.

I recommend doing the 4 island trip, however I wouldn't bother doing as we did and paying the (huge) extra cost for the speedboat rather than the longtail boats. The boat was very old and rusty however the management of the hotel did sort it out very swiftly and said they would make sure they wouldn't use that boat in future. They also arranged a local car hire for us (we drove to Phuket for the day and to Tiger Cave and just round and about on another day) and the hotel car to take us to Ao Nang in the evening a few times (go to one of the restaurants in Seafood St - not so easy to find but ask someone). The latest the hotel would pick us up again from Ao Nang was 10.30pm which i thought was too early, but it wasn't a problem as there were plenty of taxis in Ao Nang when we came home up until the early hours.

I recommend doing the cookery course with the hotel chef - they set up a prep area by the pool and showed us how to cook then we sat at a little table to eat what we'd made.

The spa itself was nice, although i wasn't sure how experienced the girl was who I had so I only used it twice.

Within Nakamanda there is a little cafe called the Living Room which they did afternoon teas in. It was such a shame it only opened 1pm - 5pm and only did cakes. The room and its outside terrace was very pretty but got hardly any use and the cakes were left on display uncovered and I imagined to be a bit stale. It would have made a great place to have pre and post dinner drinks.

Overall the hotel is very good value for money. We went through quite a lot of the minibar and had room service quite a lot but our bill was very reasonable. We had lunch at the Tub kaek hotel near by which looked like it had a nicer beach but was completely dead and more isolated. I also think the rate was more than twice Nakamanda's.

We also paid a visit to the token Irish Bar- Paddys within a 5 min walk of the hotel which had a pool table. It was quite quiet but good if you fancy getting out of the hotel.

Having visited the Sheraton nearby for dinner, I was very glad we didn't book in there. Very commercialised -as you would expect from a large chain with very dodgy evening entertainer bands screeching over the whole complex. Not classy.

The hotel was mainly couples in their 30s 40s and even 50s. There were a couple of young kids who were so well behaved I hardly noticed them. The pool was very designer with slate tiles and water cascading from the walls. Seemed to be quite huge for the size of the hotel.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

Mainz
Reviewed 26 March 2010

My and my boyfriend went to Nakamada as we wanted to have a calm and luxurious stay after coming from Koh Samui. We booked it because of the many recommendations on Tripadvisor and this was the first time we rated a hotel completely different than most of the reviews. We know that hotel didn't have a nice beach which wasn't a problem. The rooms were nice but a bit dated. We found breakfast poor, not a good choice and the presentation was not very inviting, more the opposite. We stayed in 5 hotels in Thailand (all 4-5 stars) and this was the poorest breakfast of all. Also, different to all other stays, the grounds were not maintained well. Everything looked a bit dated and dirty, the equipment of the pool area was poor, plastic sunchairs and some wooden chairs that were dated again - not luxurious at all. We also tried the gym but this was really dated, that was not so important but it added to the overall dated impression.

We were there four 4 nights and were happy when they over - simply as we had been in better resort for the same price and much happier there - it's really not 5 stars.

The staff however was very nice - not really trained - but very friendly and willing to help.

Would not come back again and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My girlfriend and I chose Nakamanda after weeks of searching for a boutique-style, affordable hotel with a good beach location in Thailand, having been to Koh Samui before and wanting to see more authentic Thai scenery, where we could also relax after hectic few days in Bangkok. We weren't disappointed. It's easily the best hotel we've ever stayed in for 10 days or more and the most relaxed we've ever felt and we've had some great experiences over the years (not at stupid money).

So, what's good: staff, location (between two good beaches) yet still secluded as hotel sits on corner of both with island in front of it, beautiful pool next to beach, second floor room we had with seaview, breakfast (overlooking the beach. wonderful) and barfood (we ate out locally every night as cheaper and better, though hotel not pricey).
What's not: nightlife - if you don't want low key every night, beach when tide is out - but this is really scraping the barrel really.
Tips:
-nightlife: laid back and quiet overall: head for Sabai bar for chillout music and cocktails to watch sunset. Irish bar around corner good for pool or football with a beer
-for food: try Mother's House next door, but Ruen Siam next to Sheraton complex is incredible overlooking the beach (with stunning garlic and pepper chicken and cheap beer and good lunch menu, plus good massages) and other beach: Jo's kitchen does the best chicken satay in the world and Beach house next to it little pricier but still lovely. We spent £15 or less for both of us every night incl alcohol and tips
-travel & trips: book cab with guy opposite hotel to get to Ao nang and to get back try a sidecar for a great experience. Barter for everything. hire a longtail boat through Mother's House or swim pool attendants for the day to Hong Island (go early to beat Sofitel speedboat and you'll have it to yourselves. Paradise) and surrounding islands (try Pakbia-breathtaking). Do Railay and Phra Nang beaches on public longtail from Ao nang. we also did speedboat day to Phi Phi and surrounds with Krabi Sea Angel in ao Nang and they collect you/drop off to hotel - superb value and best day out for snorkelling ever
-other: go next door for food and drinks at minimarket - great service and cheap. use the free hotel kayaks to check out the island in front of hotel and the beaches around each corner

It's a perfect getaway hotel for couples of every age, ideally suited to those not looking for serious nightlife - get a cab to Ao Nang for that, or eat/drink/club there when you get back later that day from boat trip.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benny175
brussels
Reviewed 16 March 2010

this is a very well mantained property with super friendly staff. the rooms are spacious and the bathrooms large enough to be your private spa. it also happens to be a perfect spot for exploring the islands nearby (although i would recommend avoiding the hoards aboard the large organised groups); just get one of the local long-tail boats to show you around. lunch and dinner are tasty and cheap in the hotel resto (try their seafood BBQ) plus there are some stunning sunset views from the resto terrace!!! 5 mins down the beach is teh Sheraton which is worth visiting for an afternoon nap in their shady hammocs. It is a pitty that the spa is priced so highly vs the local rates for massages. Accros the hotel gates there is a great massage place for 1/10 of the price of teh hotel. All in all this is great value for money, enjoy!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
Beyond Resort Krabi
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!