“Spare yourself the disappointment; you can do better...”

The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We haven't even left the walls of the hotel, but couldn't leave soon enough. Heeding the positive reviews, my wife and I decided on this hotel for the mainland Krabi leg of our honeymoon.

While there are admittedly positive aspects about our stay here -- the staff is friendly enough, the premises are somewhat idyllic and the breakfast buffet is well equipped -- there pluses are just not redeeming enough to pull this place out of purgatory and don't hold a candle to the kind of service we got at other hotels in the region, like Layana on Koh Lanta.

To start, the food is absolutely atrocious, while also being ridiculously overpriced. We had our most expensive meal to date in Thailand in this hotel, and not because we'd ordered any more extravagantly than we had anywhere else. Everything from the $8-French fries to the insipid Thai dishes were surprisingly bad. It's almost as if their small serving sizes were an admission of its shoddy quality. My wife had a craving for a hamburger and the meat was grey, rubbery and unnatural looking. Think of a waterlogged cadaver.And it tasted about that good as well. We know that hamburger isn't a traditional Thai dish...but really?!?! And good luck finding other eating options close by; this is sadly all there is.

The rooms are basic but nice, but the bathroom is moldy ( see pic) Yes, mold. And lots of it. And when the cleaning service came to make our bed, they literally threw the sheet back up over the bed (see pic) and put the dirty dishes (from room service) off to the side, limiting their effort to the bare minimum. Our room service remains spent more than 24 hours waiting outside our door. Coming back after a long day out, we saw that at least the hordes of ants outside our door were well fed.

The beach is eh -- falls far short of elsewhere in Krabi and very far short of the islands' nearby. And the hotel services here are far more expensive than those offered elsewhere.

Construction next door for the hotel's expansion is both loud and unsightly. 'Boutique'? Try corporation. It's as boutique as Macdonalds, both in philosophy and atmosphere. When we were forced to cut our honeymoon short due to a family emergency, the manager refused to reimburse us for the days unspent -- even partially. Profiting from misfortune; more of the same. 'Boutique'? Try having some class and compassion first.

Stayed: April 2013
16  Thank JJB2003
Nagamount, Manager at The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

To JJB2003

Thank you for your comments about our food and room. However, the non refund matter that happened, was agreed by you since you booked the room via your .com travel agency. We understood that you are upset but the terms and conditions have stated that way. And these terms and conditions are set by your .com travel agency. We accept all facts but your action that you made on 16 April 13 was totally unacceptable and illegal in our country. You sent a fraud email to your travel agency, to inform them that we will refund money to you for your unspent 2 nights. We have the prove that you used an unauthorized username to create this fraud email.

Our hotel is open for 11 years and we never reply any comments on Trip Adviser because we fully believe that all people who read the reviews can judge all pros & cons that list on our page by themselves. However, this is our first reply as you are trying to ruin our hotel reputation by making fraud evidence. We never had guest said curse words as you did to me. You said "I hope such family emergency will happen to you then you can understand my situation." But the worst part that you said "I'll do whatever action to ruin your hotel reputation."

Sunyadech Srimanee
Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,798)

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Fresh off the ferry from Phi Phi and ready for some pampering...and we were not disappointed! It's a beautiful boutique/small resort in a stunning part of Krabi province. We had a very charming welcome from the concierge & reception staff and shown around the resort and into our room. The deluxe room has the added benefit of being on the second floor of the pool facing 2-storey bungalows, extra privacy and also a balcony with lounge area. The room was very well appointed with lots of small details that made it just perfect. An outdoor bath and shower, free minibar (incl 2 beers), Nespresso machine, anti-mosquito plugs, nice amenities, and the before mentioned balcony were nice surprises.

We fully enjoyed the pool, beach and cocktail happy hour during sunset. The restaurant we tried for both lunch and dinner and, although expensive for Thailand standards, it was well worth it. Can recommend the lobster pasta in white wine sauce! One of the waitresses kept being very persistent in filling up our wine glasses (didnt take a repeated no from us) but guess it added to the memories :)

Would highly recommend this resort to anyone and can't wait to go back myself. Big thank you to all the very kind staff!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the deluxe room with the balcony and views from the 2nd floor. The downstairs (superior...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jurganito
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This resort is the ideal place for relaxing and soaking in the gorgeous beach all day! They have an excellent pool and all the amenities are well thought of and cared for. Rooms are a great size, clean and serviced well. One aspect I absolutely loved was the outdoor shower - in a humid climate it is lovely not to be perspiring when one gets out of the shower. It is amazingly private and clean. The only negative aspect about the spa bath was that it was in the middle of the pool, and unless one could swim, access was difficult to get to, whereas most hotels have the spa in a separate or adjoining location, so maybe they should re-locate this. All the extras were excellent, e.g. breafasts, massages, beach bag, towels, insect repellant, so one did not have to bring anything. I am not sure how they did it, but even being outside in the evenings/night I did not get bitten by insects once.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rogheathertrips
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Traveled here in March with my college-age daughter for sun and relaxation in the midst of whirlwind tours of Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Tubkaak is off the beaten path, but worth it. It's an exquisite small boutique hotel in one of the most unspoiled areas of Southern Thailand. No big chains for me.

Why Krabi? Do your research. Many of the islands in Thailand become tourist nightmares during the Thai summer. My daughter had been to Koh Phangan during the Full Moon Party and believe me, staying up all night with 20,000 people is NOT my thing. Honeymooning friends also stopped after Tubkaak at Koh Samui, and said that Krabi was far and away the better experience. We went on a tour to Phi Phi, and I was SOOOO glad we didn't stay there, though I'm sure there are some lovely secluded spots somewhere?

Ao Nang town was much more lively than I expected, so it will satisfy your desire for souvenirs, nightlife, and additional restaurants. I do wish they had more regular, less expensive shutttle service into town.

Tubkaak is lovely and well-laid out. The rooms are spacious and our was right next to the large pool. Not sure you need "beach-front" rooms here...you're always just steps away from shore, as I had thought before booking. Our bathroom had both an outdoor shower and tub -- heavenly. They supply beach bags, towels, robes and flip flops. I appreciated the espresso maker in the room and the refrigerator. All small amenities were in the room: toothbrush, comb, cotton etc.

The restaurant is an unequivocal highlight. It's right overlooking the beach for spectacular sunsets. Breakfast options were plentiful: fresh fruit, yogurt, omelettes and rotis made to order, rice, bacon and sausage, pastries. Fresh juices include mango, orange and there are also many smoothie options. Meals, especially the nighly prix-fixe, including the vegetarian menu option, are superb. They use coconut, mushrooms and other healthy ingredients profusely. Every meal was outstanding and service excellent. Soft guitar and vocals most evenings. They have a koi pond right next to the restaurant and kids can feed them. However, this is NOT a kids resort...it's a quiet, romantic, retreat.

We had very nice Thai massages in the spa. Please note, however, that couples can book private suites in the spa for FREE for an hour with a hot tub, cool plunge pool and steam room or sauna. Take advantage! Great after snorkeling!!

There is also a gift shop and library with beautiful photography books of Thailand and Internet service. We had absolutely no problem with WIFI service in our room.

We took two tours: a speedboat with a group to Phi Phi islands (crazy and very crowded beaches at this time of year, but very good snorkeling) and a private long tail to the Hong Islands -- spectacular, but get there EARLY as it is not fun when dozens of other longboats arrive. The Phi Phi trip was fun as we met people from all over the world on our speedboat. You visit several islands, including Maya Bay -- which was PACKED. The lunch on that trip was mediocre on Phi Phi Don. On the latter trip to the Hong Islands, BRING YOUR OWN MASK AND SNORKEL if possible as the one provided by the guide was kid-size and IMMEDIATELY filled with water no matter what we did. The Hong Islands have small, gorgeous beaches and little else, but you will greatly enjoy the views and the water!!!! At the first stop, fish swarmed all around us as we swam.

Kayaks are provided free of charge. Do NOT bring your camera or cell phone. I did and...well, you can guess the rest of the story. Salt water is NOT forgiving on circuitry. Lost ALL of my fantastic Thailand photographs.

I agree with another reviewer that the lobby/front desk is a bit cool. The space is large and very pretty, and they are efficient, but a bit more warmth might be a better fit for the intimate loveliness of TubKaak.

Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Vineyardlady
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Location: Pretty much in the middle of nowhere, about a 45min drive from the airport.

Pros:
+ Beautiful location right by the beach and the resort is well maintained and presented throughout.
+ Service. The people working here can't do enough for you and the resident manager even remembered our names throughout our stay.
+ Food is very good and reasonably priced considered you are a 'captive' audience. As are the items you can pick up from the shop.
+ Free transfers to and from the airport.
+ Room cleaning was outstanding, we even came back from the pool to find new pool towels already waiting for us and the clothes we left behind folded up and left on our beds.

Cons:
- The wifi didn't really work in our room. It was just about ok on the balcony but inside it was very hit and miss (Tried streaming a radio station from home and it wouldn't last a full song without cutting out, for example)
- The beach has very comfortable bean bags and is beautiful at night but it could be kept a little bit cleaner. Perhaps the picking up of very occasional bits of litter that wash up on shore etc.

Would I recommend to friends?: Without a doubt. This place was beautiful.

*Due to us booking very far in advance they were kind enough to offer us a discount recently due to the new work being done to expand the resort. This was a very nice touch but equally we heard very little of the work being done as people have mentioned (They are effectively doubling the size of the resort by building on the plot next door so there is no real work actually happening on the existing site)*

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite was impeccable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Liver_Red
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I have simply nothing negative to say about the resort. It was perfect! Clean and very well maintained, the resort offers a spa-like experience. It is perfect for those who don't want busy and noisy chain hotels with lots of entertainment. It is also perfect for those with kids ( regardless of their age). We have traveled with a four-month old baby. We were picked up from the airport and the car had a baby sit already installed. Upon our arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by our names (including our baby). The room had a baby bed. The spa offers various face and body treatments, excellent massages and the best manicure and pedicure ( ask for Sun, she does an amazing job). There is only one restaurant at the hotel, but it offers such a variety, that it is difficult to get bored. The chef does not use MSG. The breakfast is excellent: everyone can find something they like. Happy hour is from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m, just around the sunset time, which can then be followed by a dinner. Do reserve a table close to the beach to enjoy an unobstructed view. I have also appreciated the fact that the hotel management is always present. Last, but not least, the best asset of this resort is its staff: professional, efficient, polite and kind. We would definately go back.

Room Tip: We stayed at the deluxe room facing the swimming pool and liked it very much.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pivoine5
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I was at this hotel at the beginning of March for 4 days, the month isn't even over and I am already nostalgic for the amazing experience I had here!
It is a beautiful resort, very well designed by a Thai architect, ecologically minded and in tune with its natural surroundings. Grounds have lovely flowers and trees, there are large koi in a pond by the resturant you can feed if you want. Rooms are beautiful, beds are amazing (the most comfortable my entire stay in Thailand, at 10 different hotels), linens are soft.. just heavenly! I could just lie in bed all day! The bathroom is beautiful, outdoor shower and tub which they decorated with flowers the first day we arrived. Bath products smell heavenly and stored in little ceramic vases- very environmental! They provide a beach bag and fan for your stay to use. Mini bar comes stocked with beer and juices which are complimentary (the first set are free, but then you have to pay if you want it replenished). Every staff member we dealt with was kind and helpful. Service was outstanding in all respects.
It was my husband's birthday during our stay here, staff had noticed this (we had to provide passport information when checking in), and we found a lovely banana cake and fruit plate when we came back to our room in the evening! This was incredibly thoughtful and fantastic... I can never imagine this happening at a North American hotel!

The beach is beautiful, I never noticed any garbage or problems with overpopulation of crabs as mentioned by other reviews.
Water is warm and clear. Sand is powdery soft. There are gorgeous sandstone formations and amazing sunsets!
If you go deeper than your waist in the ocean, you might notice stinging sensations once in a while- due to small jelly fish tentacles/ larvae. This is mildly annoying but you get used to it.
Loved the bean bags, they are comfy and light and easy to move. there was never a problem with a lack of a place to sit. It was fun to kayak up and down the coast to check out the other resorts, there is a small beach about a 10 minute paddle up past the Amari Vogue which you can land on and watch the sunset, very fun!

The resturant was pricey by thai standards (appetizers started at 400baht, most resturants in town you can get entree for 200-300) but everything was delicious and it was worth it!Staff were helpful and kind. I really enjoyed the breakfast spread, a little bit of everything available! People made an effort to learn your name. We met the manager of the hotel twice, he was great, apologized in advance for construction taking place on new part of hotel. To be honest, we never even noticed the construction noise.

We rented boat for Hong Islands, this was TOTALLY worth it! I would recommend leaving at 7:30 am or very early, that way you get htere for 8am, and you can be the only people on the beach!!! (amazing!!! except the sun isn't very high yet, so a little bit chilly because alot of beach is in the shade of large limestone formations). Other tourist boats start showing up at 9am onwards. We also went to Paradise Island, which was beautiful (other than sad pile of garbage littering island), got there at 9:30am, were the only people on the beach!!! but then many large speedboats carrying 10-15 people each started showing up around 10am or so. Before big boats come and park on the beach, you could see loads of fish in the water! natural aquarium, very beautiful.

Ao Nang is interesting, very touristy, loads of resturants and usual chains (7-11, Burger King, McDonald's, Starbucks). I was actually glad we weren't staying there, but if you like action/ shopping/ crowds, this would be the place to be. Trip to town was around 800 baht, but coming home you can find your own way home, recommend taking those pick up truck taxi/ songthoews as these were cheaper (around 500 baht). Hotel arranges its own transport to and from town, for reasonable price (200 baht), this is in luxurious air conditioned vans.

I really liked the library at the hotel, got to read some amazing books on thai culture, architecture, enjoyed Thailand Tattler magazine and Bangkok post. They have free internet if you didn't bring your computer.

Such a wonderful stay, an amazing honeymoon, thank you Tubkaak Krabi and Tripadvisor, because I would not have found this hotel without your help :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Tup Kaek Sunset Beach Resort
#7 of 12 in Nong Thale
Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!