“Johhny!!! See the tanker”

Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Just stayed at the Ritz for a few days...Staff at the property are nice. But the surrounding area is a dump. A few meters away, there was a tanker sitting there for a days, I saw the rusted tanker more often than hot guys at the pool & the beach (yes I am gay). I had a car and drove and went to Krabi town a few times, between the Ritz & Sofitel (don't go here because the beach & view is worse than the Ritz), I saw at least 10, 18 wheelers every time I drove by. I think the Thai's found some minerals and they are digging deep. If you stay at the ritz not only will you see an ugly ship but you will also see this pipe line they build to transport the minerals from land to the ship. It is ugly as hell. In short, if you want to pay $600 night and if you don't mind waking up to an ugly pipeline, rusted ship with tons of smog and dust from the trucks, this is a great place to stay. I spoke to some Thai's (yes I am gay but I speak Thai), they told me that the ship, pipeline will be there for at least another 36 months. The Ritz looks great from the sea but the view of the ocean from the ritz is really ugly, in fact we checked out early as it was too ugly. I feel really bad for the Thai's who work there (who cares about the falang who work there, they were rude anyways). as they really made an effort. Nice property with an ugly view should be the def of this Ritz. Don't go.

Room Tip: room with a tanker & pipeline view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank greenb_11

Reviewed 5 November 2011

After reading some of the reviews I was very hesitant to book this hotel, but I definitely do not regret it at all, of the property is beautiful the geography of the area it's also beautiful and this service was amazing. We had our butler called Haze which made the experience unforgettable, we was very nice and cared about us so much. Every detail was taking care off even on
my husband's birthday here aranged a nice gift for him. We loved the property and food is good, we obviously understand that in a
small island you cannot expect a huge buffet of food like you would see in a Ritz Carlton in a big city. Overall we had a great experience hotel is beautiful the food was great and Our Butler Haze was wonderful, we definitely recommend the hotel for a nice relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank claudia007
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The NEW definition of what the hospitality industry IS. Takes any experience in what being a hotel guest has been in the past, pulverizes it, spins the clay wheel of amazing, and reforms pure brilliance.

After our 3 night stay, I cannot say enough about how absolutely fanatical my wife and I are about this place.
*The 2,000 candle entrance will knock your travel socks right off into the water you are step-stoning over.
*The grounds are remarkable, and just a quick boat ride (complimentary) to Hong Island which is also very private and a lot of fun.
*The "no front desk, only villas and your personal butler" is pura vida. And, btw, ask for "Hez" to be your butler if he's working, he made the whole experience memorable.
*Yoga in the morning over the beach - unstoppable.
*The Villas are all ridiculous. We say 3 while we were there, and each had its own cool thing. One had a double king bed (had never even heard of one of those before). The other two had private pools and indoor tubs the size of most kitchens I've seen. Totally over the top.
*The spa had this whirlpool with a strong current shower in it. It came out with force and pace like a massage. The "chill room" was great too.

That was the best hospitality experience we've ever had.

Room Tip: The Royal Villa is the best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I m alwalys trusted the Ritz Cralton brands until today it's not like that , overall standards are poor ( I travel so many 5 stars hotel so I can compared ) should improve and benchmarking according to good 5 stars hotel immediately, wanna say it again " I will not come back here and tell my friends and family to do like that "

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Yossakorn
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The Ritz Carlton reserve is the Aman of the Marriott. While it impresses on many levels, there are many misses that takes the wow away. To begin with the property is beautiful. Beautiful rooms amidst lush gardens. The main overlooks the beach and is very nice. The spa facility is impressive. But the main wow factor is the main entrance with it's 3000 lit candles at night which you will not see for your whole stay unless you make the track up to the reception.
Now you know where the money went. I am guessing none of it went to train the spa staff because we had a terrible experience there so much so I stop my massage after 10 mins and did not partake in any more treatments for the rest of my stay.
This place is pricey and you realize how ridiculous it is when you pay usd 50 for a plate of pad Thai. But you are captive since there are no restaurants within walking distance.
There isn't much of a beach at the resort but the boat ridebto the beach reserve is worth it since the beach is much nicer than phi phi island.
Overall, this is a great resort but be willing to put up with so of the unexpected quirks.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked for 5 nights at the hotel somewhere in April and I did so after much deliberation because it is not cheap. But there was a special offer and it was too good to resist.

Pick up service was impecable with staff who spoke fairly good English and helped us all the way when we checked in and when we checked out - and the small chatter as we drove to the resort was helpful in giving us an idea of the place.

BUT it was incredibly hot and we could have taken that if somehow the cooling facilities both in the rooms and the public places were efficient. Sadly the electric fans weemed to have a losing battle getting a nice breeze to us and this could have been because of the very high ceilings of most of the rooms which meant the fans were too far up to cool anything efficiently. Air conditioning was also inefficient. So what happened was that we chose to stay indoors most of the time waiting for the rooms to cool down. One might say we are supposed to be outoors enjoying the sun etc, but frankly, it is very hard to do that when you know that should you want to come in from the heat, the rooms are not much help in providing some relief from the heat!

In fact, one night at the restaurant, an Indian family with a very young child kept changing their tables in search for a spot that was cooler or where the fan or airconditioning could be felt. The fact that it was an
Indian family that would be accustomed to the heat is significant in that it demonstrates how the inside was just not comfortable enough for them.

The chalet we were in was beautiful, but maintenance was a bit questionable in that leaves were in our plunge pool and we were conscious of the fact that the pool was not cleaned on a daily basis! so we hardly used the plunge pool.

Service was brilliant and responses were so nice to whatever we wanted - to the point that we just did not feel like complaining. Buggy rides were efficiently managed, room service was good, service at the restaurants was
also good and our butler was a sweet girl ever willing to please. And the spa was heavenly!! You get garments for some of the treatment, you also have individually packed combs and hair brushes which you are welcome to
take because they would thrash it anyway.

Gardens and landscaping were also beautiful and pleasing to the eye - it was as one might say - a sight for sore eyes.

BUT one main point I would like to make and which I complained about in my feedback to the management. The cost of eating in their restaurants is unbelievable - unbelievably high. The thing is we selected only local dishes for our meals and it was on a sharing basis in the way that Asian meals are taken. But any main meal, without wine etc., set us back at least USD180. I could not understand such exorbitant pricing considering that ingredients were easily sourced locally. The problem compounding the situation is the fact that the Resort is so far away from the town. We could not consider eating outside. As I said in my feedback, the Resort has a captive market. Wouldn't it be better and nicer to consider pricing of meal items especially for local dishes? In fact one of the staff privately told me that a number of guests had complained about this and that it had put them off the resort as a whole.

We were also taken for a ride to a lovely place somewhere out about 20 minutes away by boat. It was certainly breathtaking and the resort made every effort to have towels sent with us and fresh drinking water. But the whole trip was a little spoilt - perhaps it was not a good time to go - because we had only choppy waters and certainly no space to sit quietly by ourselves except for an area that was filled with boatmen and guests smoking away! We gave up after about 45 minutes because there was nothing to do a proper space to relax in. the water was also so choppy that no one could swim or even snorkel. On hindsight it occured to us that the hotel could have advised on this so that we could plan for some other activity.

Room Tip: Depends on your budget
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Habibah M
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed here in August 2011 in the least expensive room (I believe it's called a Resort Villa). We really enjoyed our three night stay, and as other people have said we were more than happy with the size and quality of the room.

The next category Ocean view Villas are above the Resort Villas and are actually smaller as they lose the large rear garden and outdoor bath, Reserve Villas are larger and have a pool and the Royal Villa (which our butler took us to) have a private pool and are directly on the beach.

There are only around 50 rooms in the property, August is low season but I think even at full occupancy it would seem very private. We often had the main pool to ourselves, and at most saw 2 other couples when we were out.

I was expecting the food to be pretty bad as per previous reviews, maybe because of this I thought the food was okay, but it is quite expensive (burger $30). Breakfast is just okay as well, nothing to exciting.

Beach bar is great at sunset, loved the 4 meter bed in our room, and Yin our butler was great as well.

I would recommend this hotel for people looking for a luxurious relaxed hotel. Please be aware however that the resort is quite remote, you can't really walk to any bars/restaurants outside hotel and the main town is about 35 mins away.

That didn't bother us however - highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 12 in Railay Beach

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!