“A Living Work of Art”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Phuket, Thailand
“A Living Work of Art”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

From the moment we arrived at the Phulay Bay, we were amazed with every detail of the reserve. Incredible service. Spectacular architecture. Unforgettable landscaping. Perfect setting for romance and seclusion.

We consider ourselves simple folk but we were treated like royalty. When we arrived at the gate in our car, security was quick and friendly. We drove to the entrance where we were ushered in to the most amazing reception I have seen. Here we met our butler Judy who quickly transported us to our room. It was raining and Judy made sure that we stayed dry while sadly she got soaked.

Check in was done in the room where Judy proceeded to give us a full tour of our room; 15 large mirrors, 4 sky lights, separate shower room, separate rest room, walk in closets, high ceiling master bath, massive wooden and glass doors, private Japanese garden, private sala, private pool, private walled garden and another private walled outdoor area with outdoor bath. Jody informed us the mini bar was complimentary and covered a number of other services that were completely free of charge. She told us that if there was anything we else we needed that she was just a phone call away with a direct connection to her mobile. Some of the complimentary services were a free trip to Hong Island and Yoga on the beach. There were many more, but they were too numerous to remember.

At the end of our check in room tour, Jody told us about the baby elephant visit at the beachside bar at 6pm which we attended. After feeding the baby elephant and having some photos taken, Jody arranged an 8pm pickup service where she drove us directly to our car so we could drive off the resort for dinner nearby. While the resort has numerous onsite dining options we decided to visit Paddy's Bar and Grill. Jody was also kind enough to stop numerous times along the way to reception so we could take photos.

We met the Resident Manager Marta while taking photos. Marta was happy to answer our numerous questions and hear us go on and on about how much we enjoyed our stay thus far. We then drove off for Paddy's and after a delicious and very affordable meal we returned to Phulay Bay where Jody whisked us off to our room upon arrival. The rest of the evening was spent getting lost in the numerous wonderful spots in and outside our room.

Breakfast was delicious. The Executive Chef stopped by each table to ask us about our meal and how we found our stay. He mentioned how he liked walking through the trails higher up in the resort because most guests prefer to walk near the beach. He also said the spa was a must see, so we took his advice and did both. Every corner of every walking path at this reserve is masterfully landscaped. If our time wasn't limited, I'm sure we would have walked every path.

The ladyies at the spa were also kind enough to give us a full tour of the spa. Even though we did not have a spa treatment, it looked amazing. If only money grew on trees we would have ordered every option.

Overall, I am happy to say I cannot find anything negative about the reserve or services.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A benchmark for the 5 star resort. Spectacular rooms! Wonderful service. Beautiful grounds and scenery.

I couldn't have been more pleased with our butler Tanya. Such a friendly, pleasant and thoughtful person. Nothing was more than a smile and a wai (traditional Thai greeting) away. They use the term butler but I would probably say personal concierge.

Beautiful, well appointed and briliantly designed room. My new favorite room. Great nespresso machine, Bose sound system with iPod dock and a well stocked fridge. Comfy bed and lots of different spaces to sit and relax. Wasn't upset when we had to go back to the room to get out of the sun.

Food and drink were excellent and of very high quality. Expect international 5 star hotel prices for drinks and dinner. Breakfast was wonderful. Service amazing.

One thing to be aware of is that the resort is isolated. Trips into the town of Ao Nang (for dinner or shopping) take about 30 minutes each way and require you to rent a taxi for the night for about $50 usd.

Espa spa complex and treatments were incredible. Take the staff advice and go an hour early of your treatment to use the steam room, sauna and rejuvenation pool. These amenities can be used without a spa reservation which is nice. Treatments were expensive (internation prices) but were exceptional. My 2 hour hot stone massage left me smiling and insanely relaxed.

In summation, loved the Reserve concept. Loved the room, the spa and the service. Hope to experience more of the same soon. Bravo.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Just stayed at the Ritz for a few days...Staff at the property are nice. But the surrounding area is a dump. A few meters away, there was a tanker sitting there for a days, I saw the rusted tanker more often than hot guys at the pool & the beach (yes I am gay). I had a car and drove and went to Krabi town a few times, between the Ritz & Sofitel (don't go here because the beach & view is worse than the Ritz), I saw at least 10, 18 wheelers every time I drove by. I think the Thai's found some minerals and they are digging deep. If you stay at the ritz not only will you see an ugly ship but you will also see this pipe line they build to transport the minerals from land to the ship. It is ugly as hell. In short, if you want to pay $600 night and if you don't mind waking up to an ugly pipeline, rusted ship with tons of smog and dust from the trucks, this is a great place to stay. I spoke to some Thai's (yes I am gay but I speak Thai), they told me that the ship, pipeline will be there for at least another 36 months. The Ritz looks great from the sea but the view of the ocean from the ritz is really ugly, in fact we checked out early as it was too ugly. I feel really bad for the Thai's who work there (who cares about the falang who work there, they were rude anyways). as they really made an effort. Nice property with an ugly view should be the def of this Ritz. Don't go.

Room Tip: room with a tanker & pipeline view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank greenb_11
Miami
Reviewed 5 November 2011

After reading some of the reviews I was very hesitant to book this hotel, but I definitely do not regret it at all, of the property is beautiful the geography of the area it's also beautiful and this service was amazing. We had our butler called Haze which made the experience unforgettable, we was very nice and cared about us so much. Every detail was taking care off even on
my husband's birthday here aranged a nice gift for him. We loved the property and food is good, we obviously understand that in a
small island you cannot expect a huge buffet of food like you would see in a Ritz Carlton in a big city. Overall we had a great experience hotel is beautiful the food was great and Our Butler Haze was wonderful, we definitely recommend the hotel for a nice relaxing vacation.

1 Thank claudia007
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The NEW definition of what the hospitality industry IS. Takes any experience in what being a hotel guest has been in the past, pulverizes it, spins the clay wheel of amazing, and reforms pure brilliance.

After our 3 night stay, I cannot say enough about how absolutely fanatical my wife and I are about this place.
*The 2,000 candle entrance will knock your travel socks right off into the water you are step-stoning over.
*The grounds are remarkable, and just a quick boat ride (complimentary) to Hong Island which is also very private and a lot of fun.
*The "no front desk, only villas and your personal butler" is pura vida. And, btw, ask for "Hez" to be your butler if he's working, he made the whole experience memorable.
*Yoga in the morning over the beach - unstoppable.
*The Villas are all ridiculous. We say 3 while we were there, and each had its own cool thing. One had a double king bed (had never even heard of one of those before). The other two had private pools and indoor tubs the size of most kitchens I've seen. Totally over the top.
*The spa had this whirlpool with a strong current shower in it. It came out with force and pace like a massage. The "chill room" was great too.

That was the best hospitality experience we've ever had.

Room Tip: The Royal Villa is the best.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I m alwalys trusted the Ritz Cralton brands until today it's not like that , overall standards are poor ( I travel so many 5 stars hotel so I can compared ) should improve and benchmarking according to good 5 stars hotel immediately, wanna say it again " I will not come back here and tell my friends and family to do like that "

4 Thank Yossakorn
SF
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The Ritz Carlton reserve is the Aman of the Marriott. While it impresses on many levels, there are many misses that takes the wow away. To begin with the property is beautiful. Beautiful rooms amidst lush gardens. The main overlooks the beach and is very nice. The spa facility is impressive. But the main wow factor is the main entrance with it's 3000 lit candles at night which you will not see for your whole stay unless you make the track up to the reception.
Now you know where the money went. I am guessing none of it went to train the spa staff because we had a terrible experience there so much so I stop my massage after 10 mins and did not partake in any more treatments for the rest of my stay.
This place is pricey and you realize how ridiculous it is when you pay usd 50 for a plate of pad Thai. But you are captive since there are no restaurants within walking distance.
There isn't much of a beach at the resort but the boat ridebto the beach reserve is worth it since the beach is much nicer than phi phi island.
Overall, this is a great resort but be willing to put up with so of the unexpected quirks.

• Stayed July 2011
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,745 reviews

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!