“Holiday Paradise”

Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have stayed for a long weekend at Phulay Bay Ritz Carlton and enjoyed every single minute. We are travelling a lot for business and pleasure and always stay in top hotels, but Phulay Bay is truly a class of its own. It consists of not more than 50 villas, but provides the infrastructure of a large resort (huge pool, 3 different restaurants, various bars, SPA and gym, etc.). At the time of our stay there were about 50-60 other guests. Every place was wonderful and absolutely calm.
Staff is great and very helpful. Each guest has a dedicated butler that takes care of any request. Our butler JB was absolutely amazing. She and all other staff went the extra mile to make our stay as perfect as possible.

The villas are very well equiped, beds are great and huge (2 meters wide and 5 (!!!) meters long), in- and outdoors showers and bath tubs as well as a huge veranda with garden overlooking the sea completed the nice experience.

Food quality at the restaurants was always very high. We have also booked a private BBQ at the beach which was very tasty, nicely decorated and absolutely romantic.

Other guests have complained on tripadvisor about a nearby mile. We did see the ships ankering there, from a few places at the beach, but did not really felt disturbed by it. Another small drawback is the very limited beach access which is only available at high tide. We were initially not aware of that, but managed to use the beach during afternoon high tide. In that respect the hotel could ensure advance information to set the expectations.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

After losing the incredibly long review I just wrote... I have just a few words for you... If you want to stay in the prettiest resort you have ever seen, with the BEST service... Then book here! I would recommend this resort to couples and families with children that are on the more subdued side. It's an upscale, luxurious place with ocean views at all times, impeccable service and beautiful structures, amenities and rooms. You can not go wrong here, if we didn't live in California we would come every year!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a wonderful time here, booked as the luxury highlight in our Andaman Sky tour of the region. We could only afford 2 nights here, as it is expensive, but it was worth the price. This is basically the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was just stunning, the grounds seemed almost empty, the food was super-yummy, staff attentive. The best thing is the architecture though, which is out of this world, so tasteful yet visually arresting, just amazing

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We have just returned from 11 nights at Phulay Bay, and all I can say is....wow!
From the moment we were greeted by out butler, Tanya, and the operations manager Carlos at the welcoming pavilion, with cool drinks and cold towels, and a hand garland of orchids we knew we were in for a special holiday. No waiting to check in, no waiting for our room to be ready, even though we arrived at 10am, every thing was sorted.
We were upgraded to a beach villa, which was lovely, traditionally but elegantly furnished, which it's own garden, plunge pool and outside bath. Tanya was fantastic, always on hand for advice, and booking of trips, a lift to the gym, or just to say hi around the pool, not at all intrusive but ever present if we needed her.
Because we had done some research before we left, we knew the hotel was a little away from the main resort, so we paid for half board, which was a great idea, as the food, as to be expected at a ritz resort wasn't cheap, we found the food to be of an excellent standard, although we only ate at the thai restaurant, as it was so lovely there!
The service at this hotel is quite amazing, the staff are truly the best I have ever experienced, you could not lift a finger without a member of staff there to help you, including on the trip to hong island, where they send a member of staff with you to help with putting your towels out and supplying you with cold drinks! All members of staff need to be congratulated on their level of professionalism, but combined with a real warmth and genuine want to make your holiday memorable.
The beach is lacking, but could honestly say I didn't miss it, lots of the villas have their own pools, the main pool is amazing, the beach that is there is beautifully maintained, and a 5 min kayak paddle (free of charge) is a lovely beach, which we went to on a couple of occasions.
There is also a beautiful ESPA spa, where we had a 50 min couples thai massage, a totally amazing experience, followed by a sauna, steam and jacuzzi pool, so relaxing.
If you are after a holiday of total relaxation, in a beautiful setting, being waited on by attentive, wonderful people, I would highly recommend this hotel, it's in a class on its own.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband treated us to a week here, what a glorious place it is. We went in the off season so fortunately there was no screaming kids. Enjoyed many treatments in the Spa including a raw food lunch which was delicious.

The suite we had was amazing, large and the biggest bed I have ever slept in. Loved coming back to the room each night to have towels wrapped as animals, an unusual drink as a treat and toothpaste already waiting on our tooth brushes. That is the level of luxury I love.

This hotel introduced my husband to lychee martinis. The only place I have ever come across in my global travels where it was made from fresh lychees, amazing.

Swimming pool is great, especially with your treat box of water and coconut milk etc. unfortunately there is no beach but you can head out for the day to an island. This place is the best I have ever stayed at for luxury, peace and quiet and for being pampered. Love it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Well I've read some of the snooty neg comments re this hotel. I can absolutely say my wife and I had a fabulous time here. We had an upgrade to a beach villa...beautiful and well appointed. We enjoyed the food but didn't eat there every night as the pennys were disappearing too quickly. Anyway we hired a moped for 6 pound a day and explored the local area. Found some great places to eat and drink.........Back to the hotel ...Yid, our butler, was fantastic , couldnt do enough but was not over bearing....Miguel around the poor was great...Ana, the manager didnt hide away and was always visible to the guests......There was a problem with the lack of sun umbrellas---not enough basically....seems to be ongoing due to delivery problems.....The ESPA is out of this world. The beach is not what you might imagine, but we found a few secluded coves that were fine. Loved it !!!!! If you dont want to be isolated use the hotel limo and driver ( at a cost) or do what we did ...go for the motorcycle option Great fun.......

Room Tip: All looked good to me..
1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is what I call luxury!!

PROS
- The most amazing bed (king and a half), pillows and bedding I have ever slept on my life
- Beautiful grounds and pool, everything is SO CLEAN
- Massive villa pool (Royal Villa) massive soaker tub, multiple showers (inside, outside). I have never soon a bathroom so large with so many multiple rooms.
- Great food, had the best dinner in Thailand at their Thai restaurant.
- SERVICE and STAFF- where to start. You are personally greeted by the hotel manager and taken to your room. No counter, no line. Each room is assigned a Personal Butler. No request is too crazy, My boyfriend took me there for my birthday and our butler stayed late making paper hearts to string over the bed that said "Happy Birthday" I mean come on! Then after dinner I was taken to the beach to light a paper lantern that had a custom message written on it by the staff. I didn't even know such custom service could exist.
- Beautiful sunsets from the sunset bar

CONS:
- Not much of a beach, very rocky, if you are looking for a full beach holiday I would not stay here based on the price
- Oil/industrial site that can be seen from the grounds
- Based on the location you are pretty much confined to the resort, but then again once you are there you won't want to leave

Overall I would recommend this resort for anyone who is looking for luxurious getaway in thailand but at a steep price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 12 in Railay Beach

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!