“AMAZING” 5 of 5 bubbles

Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is the place to be. Its wonderful. Amazing. Something special . Great hotel. Great management. Great service. I went twice to this place in one month. The rooms are like a small house as they are too big. The bed is 3 king size and so relaxing. This is a 7 star resort . I really loved it. The place to relax and to enjoy.
capt jamal

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jimmy T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

There is a certain magic about this place that grows on you. After reading some of the negative reviews about the beach and gypsum mine, I had reservations and kept my expectations low. I almost arrived feeling critical in advance.

At first I found the design of the place a bit strange - the huge walls at the entrance and the strange purple colour of some of the walls. It's a very unusual design. I didn't connect with it initially, but it grew on me after a while.

The villas are magnificent. Huge and comfy. The beds are the 'piece de resistance' - 2.5 x bigger than a king size. They have to be seen to be believed. The villas are enormous with double volume, making you feel like an ant, and yet still cocooned in the comfort. The private pools are surrounded by a green hedge. We had birds in view all the time within the privacy of our room.

The mine? Honestly it does not affect the beauty of the place. Yes you can see it but it's right on the edge. Most of the time you don't see it. The beach, although not a swimming beach is beautiful. The stony outcrops have their own beauty and are very photogenic. The pool more than makes up for the lack of beach swimming. It is gigantic. The pool beds and canopies offer the utmost luxury and decadence. There is plenty of space and you are not on top of other people. Although the resort was full, there were always places available to lie, and the pool is so huge you never have to bump into other people.

The sunset bar on the beach is idyllic for sundowners. Dramatic sunsets every night. A photographer's dream.

Food? Hit and miss. We went to the Thai and Seafood restaurants. I think the Thai was better, although the ambience of the seafood was hard to beat. For that reason I would go there first. The breakfast however was amazing. It was the food highlight of my day.

Service - absolutely 5 star, above and beyond expectations.

Grounds - beautiful.

Location - if you want to go to the nature reserve it will take an hour or more by car. Ao Nang is about 30 min away. So it's very secluded but will take some time to get anywhere else.

Where could the resort improve?

1. Restaurant food - standard could be higher, although it was still fine (3.5-4 stars).
2. Add some plants to the courtyard in the villas.
3. Change the purplish walls to a neutral earth colour to make it feel more natural).

Room Tip: Reserve pool villas offer the privacy of your own pool which always makes a huge difference to me.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jenbennhoutbay
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

currently staying at a royal villa in hotel & this room & the hotel is very impressive! very, very, very relaxing! Rooms & service impressive! first time to krabi but not thailand but will def come back. area not as overdeveloped like phuket or samui. the bed is the best i have stayed in. view excellent. lots of healthy things to do. food very good. if you need a quick holiday before returning to hectic work life, this is it!

Room Tip: royal villa 35
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John K
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

There is no word to Describe the Property and Staff, it was absolutely amazing (fantastic) Experiences, Two thumbs up for our Butler Services (K.Aom and K.Bell) are very friendly and professional. To be honest, we didnt expect to have this level of the services in the country side, the services are topnotch among 5 stars hotel (I can only compare with Mandarin Oriental Hote). Our foot are hardly touch the floor, as we have the use the Golf cart services to go to places, you can imagine how big the property is. The bed is very comfortable; trust me I didn’t want to get out from the bed. The bathroom was fantastic; I think you can probably fit in additional 2-3beds inside. The Pool was huge and peaceful by the Beach front, as soon as we arrived; the Coconut drink was promptly served. Only small comments are the lighting in the restaurants was a bit dark (in the evening) for our parents and full with mosquito and fly (both morning and evening). As far as we concern our 9 years old nephew has enjoyed the services and facilities of the resort, as he felt safe to swim by himself, while the staff were oversea.

Keep up the good works; it’s truly heaven on earth.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dechapong S
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We are currently on holiday organised by andaman adventuures. This is our last stop before we go home. We have been to two great places and we are glad to have saved the best for last. We have now been here for two nights, with three to go. So far, this place has exceeded my expectations (which were already very high to begin with) in every aspect. From the architect, to the staff and the location. The food is also fantastic. If there is such a thing as heaven on earth. This is it. We have 3 nights left here and we are starting to feel like it is not enough! We will come back here for sure.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katherine M
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

From the moment we arrived and the larger than life brown doors opened to a passage way with purple walls and tiles over water greeting us with the sun in our faces we knew we had arrived at our peaceful retreat after a work week. The hotel manager, our personal butler, and other staff were waiting in the middle of the entrance and as one sounded the gong to announce our arrival, others gave us fresh, cold towels and refreshing drinks. Patty, our butler, made us feel at home (well at our dream home), as she asked us about our travels and took us to our villa. We had great conversations and had no trouble with communication. Villa #17 was immaculate. The views to the pool and ocean were one distraction as we arrived and the others were the bath tubs (inside and outside) and large shower area. There was plenty of space in the villa for the two of us. Even our two king size beds fit perfectly. The check-in process in our villa went great and another staff walked us through the activities (i.e. yoga) for the week. We didn't spend much time on this since we had a spa treatment booked for our arrival. Oh the spa! As soon as we walked in we felt at peace. The smell and the peace and quiet felt there were amazing. Wish I could've purchased that smell (bamboo I believe) or bottled it up somehow to have in my home! The relaxation room prior to massage was a great little area to prepare and the massage room was perfection. After a week of work and some travels this was the perfect transition to the Ritz experience. Lunch by the pool was refreshing. I highly recommend the papaya salad and spring rolls. Mojitos were delicious and so was the pizza. The staff by the pool were extremely attentive. Private yoga lessons were tailored to our specific needs and considerate of any issues we had with our bodies or yoga positions. The private trip to Hong Island was my favorite activity of the week. Next time I'd probably stay longer at the island. Sunset bar is a must for the amazing sunset views. Wear mosquito repellant because on nights when it wasn't windy they certainly were out. Restaurants on property beside the poolside one had delicious options. On the first night the fried prawns at the Thai restaurant were my favorite. The second night, the Andaman Sea bass at our private dinner on the beach was my favorite meal of my entire stay in Thailand (it may be one of my favorites in my life!). It was a bit hot in that private dinner area so dress accordingly. Breakfast buffet had so many options I wish I stayed longer to try them all. The boutique has a varied selection of items but there are also places you can stop for quick shopping on your way to the airport. Just ask them for that at the hotel when they take you to the airport. Really just ask them for anything to make your stay a pleasant one and they'll be supportive. I would love to return to this place.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any villas at this place.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mundo-es-un-libro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for 2 nights and it was a stunning villa. Very clean, large bed and the shower area allows you and your hubby at the same time, was very cool.

The butler was very nice though minimal English language. The place was definitely for people who likes high end, quiet and slow paced style. I rarely saw any other participants there. Spent the whole 3 days there. Didn't even want to go out at all.

The daily trip to Hong Island was a great offer from hotel. Only had to pay 200 buht instead of 800 from outside. The timing was early and they prepared snorkeling, waters and towels for you. It was the highlight in Krabi.

Definitely will return with my kids and stay longer.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,688 reviews

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!