“Dishonest, disgusting - stay away!”

Tup Kaek Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I arrived at the resort today at lunchtime and the first thing I saw were notices that there were construction works to bring the resort up to 'international standards'. I asked if they were close to my room, and was told no, they on the other side of the resort far away and I would not be able to hear a thing. This was not advertised on expedia or on the resorts website...It was midday, and when I was shown to my room, I thought great, can't hear a thing... But it was lunchtime... Soon masses of workers started walking past my beach front villa staring through the windows. Just standing there. Staring at me. The security guard did make an effort to get them away! Forget about going to the beach...that's the route where they transport construction materials... Que the angle grinders about 70m away! Correct. Hammering, cutting, sawing, staring, gawking, no beach access... great! I work in construction so this is the last thing I want.

Time for a shower then, or so I thought. I'm 6ft and it is a rain shower, which I love, but the slight issue is that the shower faces the beach front, and has a 1mx 30cm hole in the wall, evidently so you can watch the ocean whilst scrubbing up. Although the issue was this hole was located at approx 5'5", directly facing where the construction workers were staring and walking past, and if I attempted a shower, well hey everyone would have got a free show...

Then the rains came, and an awful smell... If only I could upload pics here from my iPad. A metre of sewerage damming up directly outside of this place, rising rapidly. A huge drainpipe which was blocked... Leading directly to the ocean. Slowly damming up towards my rooms drain pipes (poor design).

This is the point where I lost the plot. I tried to call Expedia. No external lines. Tried Skype, bad internet connection. Finally I managed to get Expedia to call me and hats off to them they helped. The resort was listening to this whole conversation as you could hear the echo on another phone. They said I had to stay one day and would refund me for the rest. But I was beyond even wanting to be anywhere near this pool of filth and deceit. I managed to get a friend to sort out accomodation down the coast line and sort out transport. I hauled my bag up the stairs to reception in the bucketing rain, gave reception 200bhat for stuff from the minibar.

This is when the manager started her vicious abuse and rampage against me. Screaming and shouting whilst I was standing outside in the pouring rain with my backpack looking like a drowned rat. The only way to keep her quiet was to call her a bad person, which I constantly repeated and it seemed to work. The idea came into my head after chatting to a lovely old chap on the plane from bangkok and remembering his comment of a 'bad person' and his expression as he said this.

My lift thankfully arrived in 10 mins and I got in the vehicle. The manager was then trying to force open the door, banging on the window, standing behind the vehicle - you name it this psycho was onto it. So she had no issues with instructing me to stand in the rain whilst waiting, after paying for a night I was not going to be staying, and giving her more money than required, but as soon as I'm going she goes mental! Locking the doors I told my poor driver to just drive, this woman is mental!

To summarise, avoid. You will be harassed by the manager or the construction workers, its unhygienic and over priced for what it is. You can't use the beach due to construction works, and the people loitering around, I wouldn't be surprised if you got broken into. There were 5 separate notices in one room about how they will not be responsible for any goods going missing. (Note the bathroom door can't be locked and it is part of the rain shower... Open access for all!).

Oh and lastly, my gmail account was attempted to be hacked from this place... Co incidence I am sure!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank joanimal

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Have booked this place for 6 nights in the expensive beachfrontroom.
Did not feel very welcome by receprionstaff at arrival.
Was promised wifi would work in room. Family used four devices and none could connect wifi. Only one, when we got outside at the terrace.
The staff told they would "adjust" the wifi but I didn't help at all. Spend all the first evening trying to connect as we had some things to do on the internet, eg. Skype to grandma having birthday.
Nothing to do around the resort in eveings... at all. Only after a long taxitrip.
Aircondition in the room, but made a very loud and rumble sound. Terrible and we had to turn it off before sleep. A hot night!
Friendly staff at restaurant but the restaurant itself was very like a militarycamp. "Cold" and very uncharming. A long way from matching the price staying at the resort and a long way to anything else!
Next morning, after seing the dirty pool and wifi still not working, we decided to go for another place, our lovely spot at Koh Samui.
We told the reception about our dissapoinment, why we were leaving and hoping to get some money back as they did not deliver what was promised. But the manager did not even come out of the office to talk with us. The poor lady in reception only came back and said we had to contact Sawadee (have ordered this way) to get refund. She did not help and the wifi was still not working. I had to help getting a PC to work so I could concact Sawadee. Sawadee said a refund was up to the manager at the resort and they have told him so! But still no manager in sight when we told the lady about this.
We had to leave without any refund (and smile) and we were lucky coming to Samui.
If this should be one of the best beaches at Krabi - don't go to Krabi at all. Dirty beach too in front of resort!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jes S
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here back in April and had a really great time. From the moment we arrived the staff were helpful, friendly and really couldn't do enough to make our stay as perfect as possible. The manager in particular was a lovely woman and gave us some great recommendations of things to do and see in our time there.

It is a bit away from the town but this was one of the best reasons for staying here - the beach is practically deserted. We hired a scooter from the hotel at a very reasonable rate and used this to get around most days.

The only small downside was the lack of variety of food at breakfast. We stayed for a week and could definitely have done with some different items on the table towards the end. But saying that the chef cooked me up some excellent pancakes on the last day after me asking for them the day before! Again - the service could not be faulted.

The room was spacious, well air conditioned and clean.

I would absolutely stay here again and would encourage other people to do so - having seen the quality of accommodation and facilities at the more expensive hotels on the same expanse of beach this is definitely the best value and quality.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights (July 2-5) and absolutely loved it. Stayed in a beachfront room with a nice view of islands in the horizon. Room was nice and spacious, bath was big and had an open shower with view of the sea. Food at the restaurant was quite good and the breakfast was decent.
There is some renovation going on at the hotel that is scheduled to be complete in Sept/Oct. This did not bother us at all as our room was quite some distance from it.
Downside of this place is the distance from shops, main town. If you rented a car/scooter then its ok, but if you are depending on taxi ( the hotel can arrange for you) , prepare to spend on the fares. Another one is the air conditioning, it can be a bit noisy at night.

We loved it here and will most probably stay here again if we visit Krabi.

Room Tip: Deluxe Beachfront room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Big resort, quite spread out. Rooms are good and big specially. Bath is nice, but no covers, all is open, becomes a balancing act with family present. Location is a bit away from any major city, there is a small village nearby but main Aonang beach is far off. It has its own big private easy access to beach. Not a crowded one at all and very peaceful / safe. Good for long walks etc. For swimming, hightide is good else you need to really cross a lot of shallow water with sharp rocks to reach deep water at lowtide - not advisable. Kayaking all is there, also cruise boats do pickup from resort. Tours are available from hotel itself which are a tad expensive than the ones if you were in main Aonang town.

Lovely sunset view with drinks being served there. The food is excellent though a bit on the higher side but worth it.Breakfast average. You can also eat at the restaurants in the village nearby. For commuting you need to hire bikes at the hotel. Pool is clean and well mantained, so was the outside Jaccuzi. Service levels are decent but Staff communication is a bit of issue.They have a inhouse spa, though we did not try that out. They do arrange a airport pickup. Restaurant has a amazing view.

Plus point - location is best for those that do not want the crowds and noises, only about three resorts on a 2 km long beach. Food, rooms, pool all very good.Not costly room rates, value for money. The sunset view is amazing. You can sit for hours for the view.

Minus point - far from any place, no traffic on connecting road, hence if you want to go anywhere, even the village nearby, hire from hotel which is very costly. Aonang town where most action is a good distance and very costly commute.

You can spend a good 3-4 days and with day long tours the overall trip becomes special.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed at the Tup Kaek Sunset Beach Resort for a week on our honeymoon in May 2013. We loved our stay at this hotel. We stayed in a beachside villa and the room was amazing. Just open your curtains and you are overlooking the beach and the Hong Islands. The room was massive and had everything you would expect for the price.

As previous reviewers have said the hotel is a fairly long way out of town. We hired a motorbike from the hotel and used that to ride to Klong Muang where there were loads of restaurants, shops, Thai Massage parlours and a few pubs. (If you are not confident enough to ride a motorbike you will need to pay for a taxi to and from which starts to get pricey).

We went on 2 tours booked through the hotel and were picked up by van/ car both times. We also booked a tour to Hong Island from a long boat driver parked out the front of the hotel (highly recommend this!!!).

The staff at the hotel were friendly. We had a few issues during our stay- but nothing major (international TV would drop out every night at about 7pm which despite numerous phone calls was not resolved). Main issue was that the spa was closed for the low season which we were not informed of until we checked-in (not a huge issue as we had the bike but we feel as though we should have been informed of this before our arrival.

The hotel provides snorkeling equipment, kayaks and extra beach towels and the beach out the front of the hotel was clean and great to swim at.

I look forward to returning to this hotel in the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie H
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Spent a while looking for a hotel in this area as wanted to see the lovely island views. I have stayed in this area of Ao Nang 3 times before, and highly rate it for a beach/ adventure holiday destination.

We drove here from Chumphon, and found it very easily with a basic map, and was well signed posted from the main road.

We had a good greeting by the staff on checking in and was showed the grounds of the hotel before showing us our room which was situated just back from the beach but could still see the sea from our room.

I will state now, during our stay they were removing the older bungalows/ rooms and building new, so there was a bit noise, but did not ruin our 2 night stay in any way.

The room was clean but looking a bit tired, but did the job, bathroom the same. Bed was comfortable. Free Wifi.

The view from the beach is amazing, the sunsets are just the best too. Lovely quite beach not to busy nice sea no rubbish around. A really nice relaxing place to be.

Breakfast is buffet which was OK with a good choice, the restaurant dinner, the food was average only ate here once. Restaurant is located next to the beach over looking the sea which is spot on.

Location of the hotel is at the end of the coast road pass some small shops and restaurants and other hotels, pass a shipping pier. The hotel is not close to any shops, probably a 15 minutes walk or a 20 minutes drive to the closet town Ao Nang.

Many island tours can be taken from the beach by long tail boat or Book in Ao Nang which will be cheaper and get picked up from hotel. I recommend paying more for speed boat trip. Hong island being one of the nicest in the area.

We stayed just 2 nights here, really just for the quite beach and views. We stayed a further 4 nights in Ao Nang. Which is a bit cheaper, more night life but not as quite.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
#10 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Tup Kaek Sunset Beach Resort? Share your experiences!