Tup Kaek Sunset Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Krabi Sands Resort(Krabi Town)
View Hotel
Klong Muang Inn(Nong Thale)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsao nangkrabi airportrent a scooterother hotelshong islanddirect pool accessnight lifelong tail boatoutdoor showerhigh seasonisland hoppingtaxi ridelimestone islandsseafood restaurantrooms are greatlow tidegarden villa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We had a hire car so no need for a pickup. Tup Kaek is a fair way out from the airport & town environs (40-50-mins), but that was fin, we wanted a getaway.
Our beach hut pretty well had everything, step 3 metres out, and you're on the beach sand with a few more metres before you hit warm water. The view is magnificent. Inside:TV, internet, outdoor-indoor shower, bath, combination safe, fridge, coffee-making facilities, and everything worth having for a week's holiday. Breakfast was part of the deal and it was expansive, help yourself to the cereals, juices, breads etc, or just order a hot meal. Dining was as good, altho not part of the deal, but no complaints, We wanted to go kayaking & a few tours, and they arranged everything. My memory is that is cost less than AU$600 for five nights-six days....for everything...for two people, We will definitely go back,

Room Tip: Can't comment on other rooms, but the beach-front huts are the ones with the views to die for.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The resort sent a van to pick us up and drive us to the resort, which was a great touch. As soon as we entered, we were greeted by three friendly, English-speaking receptionists who gave us drinks and quickly got us settled down in our Deluxe Beachfront bungalow.
Pros -
The beach view was amazing, with sliding glass windows opening right on the beach.
The "rain shower" is quite something - it's very powerful, nice and warm and it just has that something special you can't explain.
The TV had international channels like BBC and Star Sports, and worked fine.
There was construction nearby but we didn't hear it inside the room and the work is only in the late morning/afternoon when we're outside.
The staff are very friendly and will reserve nearby restaurants, call taxis, and recommend places to go.
You can just walk down the beach to get to cheap private longtail boats for hire that can do island trips for you - this is much, MUCH better than the island-hopping tours where you and fifty other people are crammed into a small speedboat and go to horrible places.

Cons-
The AC is placed right on the wall of the beachfront bungalow, which means if it's not set to quiet mode (which is very weak) there will be an annoying humming/vibrating noise.
The food isn't that good - the good dishes are the pad thai, pad se-ew, fried rice and spring rolls. Everything else (that we tried) isn't good. Do not order anything deep fried from them as the batter will be hard and chewy.
The good thing is that you can just walk down the beach and eat at the delicious (but a little pricy) Tup Kaek Boutique Resort, or ask the reception to call a taxi and bring you to restaurants like the Frog & Catfish or the Sabai Bar that are nearby, inexpensive and delicious.
If you stay in the resort after lunch instead of going to an island/to town/in the pool, the construction noise will bother you, though the work will stop during the high season.

Room Tip: Deluxe beachfront is the absolute best. If you don't get one of those, ask for a room far away from the construction.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HonyaB
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I rated this excellent because when compared with all other surrounding hotels, including the neighboring Ritz Carlton property, this has the best overal value - best views along with the best price (the RC property can actually see the Chinese freighters unloading at a nearby pier - a view we thankfully did not have). The beach front room is perfect and you walk right out onto the beach. The restuarant wasn't fancy but has excellent food and a great wait staff - even during the low season, when they had to be completely bored... It is a taxi drive distance from any Ao Nang stores, but that is precisely what we wanted - after exploring all the surrounding beaches, we found this to be the best, most secluded, beach of all. The neighoring hotels are very welcoming if you wish to have some fancy dining (try the Ritz Carlton as well as the Amari Vogue), but save your lodging budget and stay here!

Room Tip: Spend the extra for beach front - it is absolutely worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tampagator1
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I arrived at the resort today at lunchtime and the first thing I saw were notices that there were construction works to bring the resort up to 'international standards'. I asked if they were close to my room, and was told no, they on the other side of the resort far away and I would not be able to hear a thing. This was not advertised on expedia or on the resorts website...It was midday, and when I was shown to my room, I thought great, can't hear a thing... But it was lunchtime... Soon masses of workers started walking past my beach front villa staring through the windows. Just standing there. Staring at me. The security guard did make an effort to get them away! Forget about going to the beach...that's the route where they transport construction materials... Que the angle grinders about 70m away! Correct. Hammering, cutting, sawing, staring, gawking, no beach access... great! I work in construction so this is the last thing I want.

Time for a shower then, or so I thought. I'm 6ft and it is a rain shower, which I love, but the slight issue is that the shower faces the beach front, and has a 1mx 30cm hole in the wall, evidently so you can watch the ocean whilst scrubbing up. Although the issue was this hole was located at approx 5'5", directly facing where the construction workers were staring and walking past, and if I attempted a shower, well hey everyone would have got a free show...

Then the rains came, and an awful smell... If only I could upload pics here from my iPad. A metre of sewerage damming up directly outside of this place, rising rapidly. A huge drainpipe which was blocked... Leading directly to the ocean. Slowly damming up towards my rooms drain pipes (poor design).

This is the point where I lost the plot. I tried to call Expedia. No external lines. Tried Skype, bad internet connection. Finally I managed to get Expedia to call me and hats off to them they helped. The resort was listening to this whole conversation as you could hear the echo on another phone. They said I had to stay one day and would refund me for the rest. But I was beyond even wanting to be anywhere near this pool of filth and deceit. I managed to get a friend to sort out accomodation down the coast line and sort out transport. I hauled my bag up the stairs to reception in the bucketing rain, gave reception 200bhat for stuff from the minibar.

This is when the manager started her vicious abuse and rampage against me. Screaming and shouting whilst I was standing outside in the pouring rain with my backpack looking like a drowned rat. The only way to keep her quiet was to call her a bad person, which I constantly repeated and it seemed to work. The idea came into my head after chatting to a lovely old chap on the plane from bangkok and remembering his comment of a 'bad person' and his expression as he said this.

My lift thankfully arrived in 10 mins and I got in the vehicle. The manager was then trying to force open the door, banging on the window, standing behind the vehicle - you name it this psycho was onto it. So she had no issues with instructing me to stand in the rain whilst waiting, after paying for a night I was not going to be staying, and giving her more money than required, but as soon as I'm going she goes mental! Locking the doors I told my poor driver to just drive, this woman is mental!

To summarise, avoid. You will be harassed by the manager or the construction workers, its unhygienic and over priced for what it is. You can't use the beach due to construction works, and the people loitering around, I wouldn't be surprised if you got broken into. There were 5 separate notices in one room about how they will not be responsible for any goods going missing. (Note the bathroom door can't be locked and it is part of the rain shower... Open access for all!).

Oh and lastly, my gmail account was attempted to be hacked from this place... Co incidence I am sure!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank joanimal
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Have booked this place for 6 nights in the expensive beachfrontroom.
Did not feel very welcome by receprionstaff at arrival.
Was promised wifi would work in room. Family used four devices and none could connect wifi. Only one, when we got outside at the terrace.
The staff told they would "adjust" the wifi but I didn't help at all. Spend all the first evening trying to connect as we had some things to do on the internet, eg. Skype to grandma having birthday.
Nothing to do around the resort in eveings... at all. Only after a long taxitrip.
Aircondition in the room, but made a very loud and rumble sound. Terrible and we had to turn it off before sleep. A hot night!
Friendly staff at restaurant but the restaurant itself was very like a militarycamp. "Cold" and very uncharming. A long way from matching the price staying at the resort and a long way to anything else!
Next morning, after seing the dirty pool and wifi still not working, we decided to go for another place, our lovely spot at Koh Samui.
We told the reception about our dissapoinment, why we were leaving and hoping to get some money back as they did not deliver what was promised. But the manager did not even come out of the office to talk with us. The poor lady in reception only came back and said we had to contact Sawadee (have ordered this way) to get refund. She did not help and the wifi was still not working. I had to help getting a PC to work so I could concact Sawadee. Sawadee said a refund was up to the manager at the resort and they have told him so! But still no manager in sight when we told the lady about this.
We had to leave without any refund (and smile) and we were lucky coming to Samui.
If this should be one of the best beaches at Krabi - don't go to Krabi at all. Dirty beach too in front of resort!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family