“Excellent”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We just stayed one night here as a birthday surprise and there is nothing we could complain about. We arrived at 12 noon and although check in wasn't until 2pm they apologised that a room was not ready for us, so we was happy to sit by the pool until it was ready. A member of staff again very apologetic found us by the pool and took us to our room. Whilst chatting to her I mentioned we was just staying the night for my husbands birthday and later that evening after we returned to our room a very tasty chocolate birthday cake and card was waiting for him. Although we booked a garden view we had a fantastic view of the sea and the Islands. We only managed to spend a small amount of time around by the pool before a massive big storm came over. The pool is large with extremely comfy loungers and ample pool towels. There was a few groups of noisy children which you could say spoilt it a bit, but it's a family hotel so you have to expect some noise to a degree. There was also a strong smell from where they were cooking by the pool bar, but again nothing that would spoil it.
The room was large, with luxury bedding and pillows, ample tea and coffee supplies and also plenty of good quality toiletries.
Now to the breakfast. I would imagine during high season the Restaurant would be extremely busy and would not like to experience it then, but the quality of the breakfast was excellent, from freshly baked bread and pastries, to the ample selection of fresh salads and fruit.
Over all our stat at the Sofitel was excellent and it was a shame we only stayed one night, would definitely have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
RobinDeb, General Manager at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.

We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Krabi in the near future.

Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (2,626)

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We spent 5 days/4 nights at this sprawling resort a few months ago, and I apologize for this delayed post. But better late than never, I guess!

If I had to list 5 things that stand out about the Sofitel Krabi, those would be:
1. its huge, really large, swimming pool (largest in Thailand, am told); the water is not too deep at any point (1.30m), and everyone can have a quiet corner. There is a pool bar, and a separate kids corner as well.
2. amazing breakfast spread, with ample selection; even light-eaters would get tempted to overdo!
3. spacious, neat rooms and wonderful balconies (we had a view of the grounds and pool)
4. large property – the grounds, the building itself, golf course, even the driveway into the hotel
5. away from the hubbub of the ‘town’ area of Ao Nang (about 20 mins away from the resort by car/scooter) – that makes it serene and peaceful, yet there are some eateries and watering holes within 15-20 mins of walking distance from the resort (there is a back-exit from the hotel’s ground which we discovered a day or two after check-in and that really reduces walking time! There is one on the same side of the street as the resort, which is worth a visit.) For more choices, go to Ao Nang which even has a Burger King and a MacDonald’s.

The resort also has a spa, but we did not get the chance to try it. And in the evenings (I think on weekends), they lay out an amazing outdoor dinner buffet by the pool which comes at a cost but is worth it.

Of course, there were some irritants. For instance, wi-fi is NOT free – so you’ve got to pay up a small amount (around THB 250 or so). Of course, they do have a couple of computers in the business center that you could use to surf the Net or check emails – access to that is free and is available 24x7.

The resort has no private beach of its own, but then all beaches in the country are public. So Sofitel cannot do much about that. There is, however, one across the street (through the back-exit) maintained by the hotel staff and is alright on a nice sunny day. But you will be disappointed if you expect it to be like the sort of beaches found on Phi Phi Islands. I would say, at the resort focus on its swimming pool. For frolic on a beach, go to Phi Phi, Maya, or Bamboo Island.

Krabi is a tropical, rainy place – we went during a nice season (late Feb/early March) and in the 5 days we were there, it drizzled or rained intermittently or nearly all day on 2. So once you check-in at the Sofitel, I strongly recommend you right away book a speedboat to Phi Phi Islands for the next day. You have two choices – use the hotel’s speedboat (a bit costlier) or walk next door to Sabaina Travels (turn left from the back-exit of the resort) and book it there – they will send a minivan to pick you up & drop you at the Sofitel (included in the package that cost us THB3000 for 2 persons). It is fun and worth it. Once you have done that and had the chance to size up the spots, you can always make your own arranegements for a private trip (using a ‘long-tail’ boat) from Ao Nang to specific beaches (like Railay Beach) or islands and spend more time there. At some places, like Maya Beach (where DiCaprio starrer ‘The Beach’ was filmed) and Bamboo Island beach, the water is so blue so clear…!

To go to Ao Nang, while you can hire a taxi from across the street (THB 800-900), a better and cheaper option is to hire a Honda scooter (THB 250 for 24 hours, fuel extra). We hired one from the folks at Sabaina -- there’s nothing like having your own wheels in a distant land! We quite liked our experience with the folks at Sabaina (run by Jan and her daughters Yao and Ahm, among others) – they have a travel service, scooter rental business, a Thai massage service, and a small store.

A couple of notes on (i) shopping and (ii) on transport from/to KBV airport:
>While shopping at Ao Nang or other places in Krabi (in all of Thailand, actually) don’t forget to bargain. You will be pleasantly surprised. At Ao Nang market, for instance, we liked a small wooden ‘acoustic frog’ and a wooden elephant head; the prices quoted were THB 150 and THB 800, respectively. We finally got both for THB 550. Good deal? I don’t know – we look at it differently: was the whole ‘bargaining experience’ fun? And are we comfortable with paying that sort of money for what we got? If it is “yes” to both questions, that’s fine. Let the local merchant make some money too :)
>We landed at Krabi airport (KBV) and there aren’t too many choices for a taxi to Sofitel from there. Take a cab from the Andaman Limo counter in the arrival terminal (for THB700) to Sofitel, and some 30 mins later via a fairly scenic drive you will be at the resort. For our return (to airport), the hotel staff offered to call one (and told us the cost would be THB900); we negotiated with the same taxi guy and he agreed upon THB800 after we told him that taxis across the street were available for THB800 or less!

A rather long post I agree, but hope it compensates for the delay in sharing.

Have a great time, wherever you ultimately choose to stay or go :-)

Room Tip: See if you can get a pool view or sea view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Abhi0809
RobinDeb, General Manager at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Bonjour and Sawasdee Krab,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort.

I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services and facilities.

In regard to your legitimate observation about the internet service in the rooms, note that we are currently on process of reviewing those facilities, which should be completed in the near future. In a mean time we provide a complimentary internet in our lobby area and, as you mentioned, business center as well. At Sofitel, we strive to provide our guests with the highest of standards in quality and service by, not only meeting but also exceeding their expectations; therefore your feedback is once again very important to us.

We do appreciate your concerns and comments, and shall be looking forward to welcoming you again to Krabi very soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

My family and I had two times experience staying here at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort in Krabi, we all were very enjoyed our stay, with the peace and clean areas. We have had a nice greeting and warm welcome from all the office staff there.

The swimming pool and breakfast were answered and really met what we required.

Keep up the good work!.

Thanks.

Room Tip: Front, sea view near by the swimming or even pool access.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Just checked in yesterday for 4 nights, unfortunately!
The check in was badly managed. I was waiting with my booking and passport at the aclub desk and nobody came. Four staff were taking care of one client at the main reception desk. My kids were waiting for me in one of the sofa in the lobby, they were asked to move in another sofa by the staff bringing the welcoming drinks to the other client. Weird, when there were so many other sofas empty. I had to ask the staff whether they would ever take care of us. One of the staff said, they thought that we were accompanying the other client, again strange when i was clearly waiting seperately at the aclub desk with our passports.
Anyway, we finaly got a room at the back of the hotel in front of the driving lane. I asked whether we could move in a seaview room by redeeming aclub points. It took one additional hour to have another seaview room, still not the nice seaside/pool view but at least a view on the sea somehow. The staff said it was the only room available.
I doubt it since its the low season and the hotel seems quite empty.
I wonder whats the point to be silver aclub member when the accord staff is not taking any particular care of its regular client.

Hotel location
It cannot be worse, the beach is not private and is just ugly and dirty. It seems that sofitel chose the worst beach spot to invest. The view is directly on several huge industrial cargos. The hotel does not even have a transat on the beach.
The pool is located along the street separating the beach and the hotel garden. There are permanently big trucks passing in front of the hotel pool.
The staff of the pool bar explained that it was due to the industrial activities next to the hotel : cargos shipping daily stones to Singapore.
Basically, you end up sitting on the pool next to an expressway with the noise and the view on the trucks!!!! What a nice holiday time!!!
Apart from the above (too much already!!!), the rooms are nice and neat. The view as explained is not a dream unless you are located pool side view. We didn't had that chance!
The breakfast is good too, a good selection of danish, bread, asian dishes and other things.
I can only recommend to check first availability in the sheraton or the beyond resort which are much better located with provate beaches before booking at the Sofitel unless you come for the golf club.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank weiniBangkok
RobinDeb, General Manager at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Bonjour and Sawasdee Krab,

It has been our great pleasure to welcome you at Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf and Spa Resort and we appreciate you sharing your feelings about your stay with us.

I have taken good notice of the point concerning your experience at arrival and rest assured that I personally and profusely regret the unfortunate disappointment. Our aim and intent is to ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest check in and requests are handled quickly and efficiently. I can only reiterate our regret that we did not handle the situation in the proper manner. The appropriate training will be conducted to avoid the recurrence of such incident in the future.

I am also sorry to read that you were disapointed with the beach. In Thailand, all beaches are public but we have managed to secure an area for the resort. We make sure that our Sport & Recreations team takes necessary measures on a daily basis to offer our guests a decent and comfortable beach.

In regard to your observation on the road and the boat in front of our hotel. You will surely understand that it is not of our control however it is important that we understand your frustration and would like to reiterate our sincere apologies.

Thank you for your feedabck and we look forward to have the pleasure welcoming you back in the nearby future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed in Sofitel for 3 nights while I was in Krabi, just loved the hospitality from the hotel staffs. Did thai massage in the spa and it was heavenly!! Went for elephant ride booked by hotel, elephant ride was gr8 too :)!!I would like to thank sofitel for making my holiday in thailand ( Krabi ) one of the most wonderful and memorable holiday of lifetime!! One suggestion I would like to give is for COFFEE !! Plz make good coffee available, my husband my dying to have cup of cappuccino !! Brkfast, launch and dinner were gr8!! We had thai buffet on wednesday nite, it was amazing!!! Overall, I would come back to sofitel , if I ever go to krabi again :)) Thankyou once again :)

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

However I was dissapointed to know that you did not enjoyed our coffee, please rest assured that we have taken serious note of your comments and we will strengthen our focus on our training in this specific area.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My wife, our two children and I stayed at the hotel for one week in late July and had big expectations to the hotel upon arrival. We have been in the area many times before where we have stayed at the Amari Vogue, which is not that far from Sofitel, so we had seen the hotel from the outside before. We wanted to try something new this time and Sofitel seemed like a good choice. The hotel is very beautiful and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. The pool was great and indeed very big. We were pleased with our stay there, but we have some minor objections about the hotel that I will mention.
First of all I don't understand why wi-fi at the room has to cost about 250 baht per day. I know that many other reviews of the hotel mentions this also, so i don't know why they just don't change this. We stayed at altogether four different hotels in Thailand during our holiday (all of them five star hotels) and Sofitel Krabi is the only where we had to pay for wi-fi at the room. Even the guesthouses provide their customers with free wi-fi!
The shuttle bus 'service' from the hotel and to Ao Nang (the closest town) was also quite expensive. 200 baht per adult per way and 100 baht for children. This meant that a trip to town for our small family would cost 1200 baht in total. The taxies which are parked just outside of the hotel will do the trip for 800 baht, so why choose the hotel service where you are restricted to a certain schedule? This kind of service is also normally free, it is just a 15 minute drive so there is no reason for the high price. We were disapointed with this.
Around the pool the service could be better. You are provide with towels that you pick-up yourselves, and you are also expected to clean up the towels after use. We saw several times that people left their towels on the pool beds and nobody came to pick them up. So sometimes it could be difficult to find a bed/chair to place your things. In addition to this the towels are old and could certainly need a replacement.
Moreover, with that big a pool and as a lot of the hotels guests are families with children the hotel should hire a life-guard that could overlook the pool area. We have seen this on many other hotels and it makes you feel safer.
All in all we had a nice stay, but we have stayed at other five star hotels where the service level is much higher. Next time we come to Krabi we will probably not stay at Sofitel again as we have tried better hotels in the area.

1  Thank Michael_Sundet

Bonjour and Sawasdee Krab,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay.

I was deeply sorry to read about your unfortunate experience around the pool area, please rest assured that we have taken serious note of your comments and we will strengthen our focus on our training in this specific area.

In regard to your observation on shuttle bus and internet service, please note that we have taken your comments and recommendations into consideration and that we shall share at length with our team. At Sofitel, we strive to provide our guests with the highest of standards in quality and service by, not only meeting but also exceeding their expectations; therefore your feedback is once again very important to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
1 mi away
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!