We stayed at Sofitel for 11 nights. Here's the rundown!
1) The room.
We had a King Room and were very happy with the size of the room. It was far from outdated. Has everything you'd expect from a 5 star. The rooms are spacious, the bed was very comfortable and firm. My partner is not normally a firm bed person, but we both slept exceptionally well. Bathroom was big with bath and separate shower. The one gripe was the water pressure was pretty average. I have no comparison to other hotels so that may just be the area. The rooms were cleaned every day, and were spotless each time. The balconies are sizeable as well.
2) The food and drink
We travel a lot, and hardly feel the need to "eat in". I do not come to asia to eat Italian! The breakfast was brilliant - it has everything you want. There are some nice beachside restaurants only a short walk from the hotel which have fantastic food. I decided to create my own chicken red curry rating. Every dinner I had included a red curry chicken amongst other meals (I'm a big eater!). I called it the Red Curry Scale. Krabi sands on the beach (near the little bridge) had the best one in my opinion. It was hard to find one spicy enough for my liking, even in Thailand, this one did the job. We also recommend Busaba Thai in Ao Nang - ridiculously good Roti bread!!
For some drinks, the pool has happy hour every day for only an hour, and quite early in the day, so it's not really one that's easily taken advantage of. Speed of service is on "thai time", be sure to get their attention! Again, there are some nice places along the beach a short drive away that are great for watching the world go by with a beer.
3) Hotel Location and Surroundings
It is a remote hotel. Anyone who books this hotel should know the location! I don't understand why people complain about this?! The beach is fine for that area, but the pool is so nice there really isn't much need. If you want a beach, take a day trip to one of the islands. The mainland beaches aren't worth worrying about (especially for an aussie!) There are local stores a short walk away for any snacks, etc you might like. And nice bars and restaurants. The grounds are immaculate and plenty of spots to lounge around for the day. The piano bar at the hotel is a nice little night spot, very chilled and we found the bar staff attentive and friendly. Drinks/food at 5 star hotels are always on the expensive side. This is the same everywhere in the world!! If you want cheaper, you do not eat and drink at the hotels. From memory I *think* a beer was around 200 baht compared to around 120-150 baht off premises.
Note also that you might have seen mention of the quarry (or whatever it is). Yes it's true that there's truck traffic that travels down the (only) road, but we didn't find this to affect our experience at all. They are all travelling at slow speeds. Getting down to that detail in this review is splitting hairs really...
4) Staff and Service
Everyone is very friendly, and greet you whenever you walk by. As above, waiting and bar staff are on thai time. So set your expectation lower. Anyone who's spent time in latin america or perhaps spain would be used to this! If you want something, get their attention and ask. Don't wait to be served, and you will be fine. Everyone is there to serve you, they do not give attitude, they will smile and try to help.
5) Travel and day trips
We rarely used the hotel service. As you can tell by now, we like to explore, and like to "go local" A one way taxi from hotel to Ao Nang is 550 baht. Return is 900. Works better if you have a group of course. Heading out the front is a tad cheaper. We made friends with one of the drivers and used him regularly at a discounted rate. "Mr To" was his name. We also used him to arrange a private boat to Hong island and also a day trip to Phi Phi straight from the beach outside! This is important to keep in mind - most tours run out of Ao Nang, it's worth checking on this if you don't want to be ferried with everyone else into/out of ao nang before heading off (to phi phi, tiger cave, etc etc). FYI - We can recommend the kayaking in the national park caves. We did a half day, that's all you need. For the more adventurous, you can hire scooters from down the road too! (We didn't do this, but I would have loved to!)
In summary, the hotel is great, but it is a bit remote. That's what's great about it. You can escape and just have your resort holiday in the expansive grounds and a meal/drink in quiet little bars and restaraunts. It's very relaxing place. If you want to be in a more lively area, then stay in Ao Nang. It's a nice, chilled town, and far different from the harrassment of Phuket. It comes down to personal choice. If you don't want the hassle of extra transitting, look elsewhere. If you prefer want the quiet, relaxed remoteness with a brilliant pool, then this place ticks all the boxes.
Hope that's helped. We spent a lot of time researching where to stay in the area, and weren't disappointed. We went into ao nang a few times, but loved the smaller local vibe of the bars and restarants by the hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort is renowned for its timeless elegance, luxurious rooms and suites, gourmet restaurants, outstanding facilities, and gracious Thai hospitality. Set in a lush tropical garden and just a few steps from the beach and Andaman Sea, the resort features a 7,000 sq.M. Lagoon-style pool, the largest swimming pool in Thailand. Guests can enjoy four restaurants serving Thai and international cuisines, a fully equipped fitness centre complete with steam room and sauna, So SPA with L'Occitane offering an extensive menu of rejuvenating spa treatments, and a Kid's Club. There is also an exclusive 9-hole golf course, and conference and meeting facilities and a unique 1,000 sq.M. Air-conditioned marquee for up to 950 persons. Designed to enhance the stay of every guest, our signature Leisure Butler service includes a VIP check-in and a personal assistant to arrange an unforgettable marriage proposal or special romantic moment, private dinner parties and celebrations, personalised excursions to nearby islands, and much more. Escape to Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort for a romantic getaway, a family holiday, a magnifique wedding, meeting or event in tropical paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf Hotel Nong Thale
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf And Spa Resort
- Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort Thailand
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Hotel
- Krabi Sofitel