“Great hotel for couples on a beautiful secluded beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Amari Vogue Krabi

Amari Vogue Krabi
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
New York City
“Great hotel for couples on a beautiful secluded beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

I recently spent 12 days at this hotel with my wife and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to just relax and enjoy great food and service at one of the most beautiful locations in the world. The main draw of this hotel (for me) is its location on Tubkaek beach and the amazing views it has of the Hong Islands. The sunsets here are the most beautiful that I have seen anywhere in the world. Each day a band would setup by the pool in the evening and my favorite part of the day was sipping a cocktail from the infinity pool, listening to the music, and watching the sun set behind the Hong Islands. It was truly magical. Other highlights of the trip include both the food and service. The breakfast buffet in the mornings was very nice, eggs served any style you wanted them cooked in addition to a wide selection of other breakfast fare, all of it of very good quality. The dining experience at the Bellini restaurant was also excellent. The restaurant is right on the beach and the band plays at dinner and the Italian food was very good. We ate here every night and between the two of us sampled most of the menu and found the food to be delicious. We never ate at Lotus but did order off the Lotus menu one night while dining at the Bellini and the Thai meal that we were served was also very good. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and hospitable. Everything was done with a smile and the waitstaff at the restaurants were some of the nicest people I have ever met. The front desk assisted us for anything we wanted (arrange car service, pack a lunch for a day trip, etc.) and the management was always visible around the hotel if you had a problem that you needed addressed (which we did not). The only thing I would say I was slightly disappointed in was the actual room itself. It was a little smaller than I was expecting but it was clean and had a view from the balcony that more than made up for the lack of size. For anyone staying at the hotel I would definitely make sure that I requested a room on the top floor, particularly the honeymoon suites on the top floor of either tower, as the views of the ocean decline considerably as you move down in floors and the ground levels have no view at all.

Some comments I have regarding things I have read in other TA reviews:
- A number of people have complained about the stairs at this hotel. The hotel is on a hill and is set on a number of different levels that descend down to the beach so there are a lot of stairs. Personally I loved the design and layout of the hotel with the different levels which looks absolutely stunning at night when it is all lit up so I did not mind the stairs, but there are a number of stairs so it may not be the best hotel for older people.
-The hotel is secluded and is a 20 minute ride from Ao Nang. This is documented in numerous places on this website and others so anybody who was surprised that the hotel is on a secluded beach did not research their trip very well. I did not find the hotels remoteness to be a problem as the front desk could always on very short notice arrange for a car to take us to Ao Nang for about $15 USD. Personally the hotels distance from Ao Nang was one of the positives for me. I found Ao Nang to be very dirty and touristy and I did not like it at all. The main road along the beach in Ao Nang stunk of garbage when we walked along it. We also went to the Seafood Row for dinner which is supposed to be one of the main attractions in Ao Nang. All of the restaurants had the fish on display on ice in front of the restaurants and everything was covered in flies. We were totally disgusted and went back to the nice, clean and hygienic restaurant in the resort for dinner. The Amari is set on a beautiful undeveloped beach with only a few other resorts. If you prefer a touristy area to quiet, tranquil beauty then it is not the place for you.
-A number of people have complained that the Amari is not a true 5-star resort. I agree it is not a true 5-star resort, but true 5-star resorts start at a minimum of $500 USD a night. Our honeymoon suite was $215 USD a night and I thought for the money that the hotel was a great value. The room may not have been 5-star but the location, food, and service were certainly close to it. Anyone who was spending just $215 USD a night and was expecting the accommodations to compare to the St. Regis or another 5-star property was not being very realistic. If you keep that in mind when booking I think you will be quite happy, I know I was. Overall its a great resort and I hope to go back someday.

3 Thank Shane M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

Arriving at Amari was like arriving at "peace on earth" after a week in Phuket. It was just a wave of relaxation and tropical paradise hitting us. We've stayed at many luxury properties all over the world so I think we can make a honest comparison.

I think depending on what you're looking for, Amari could be a dream come true or not. This is a very quiet, very small boutique resort on a very nice beach which is a great place to "turn off the world", but may not be suitable for those looking for more activities. The Amari has taken measures to ensure that it's convenient to get "off property" should one choose, but there is nothing around walking distance wise or at night to do (other than watch movies.) The plus is that the small beach is very nice, quite clean in Thai standards, and not a lot of people really, so it is like having your own slice of paradise.

Their personal touches are pure luxury as others have commented - cool towels and tea, ice water and ice cream or fresh fruit snacks, turn down with delightful petit fours.There are small lounge pools - the main one in particular being an infinity pool with an OUTSTANDING view of the nearby islands, ocean and sunset.

These pools are very small, and even though we came at the start of the off season (80% occupancy), there were on occasion a shortage of poolside loungers due to the narrow space. There are additional loungers down on the beach and grass. We noticed that the other small dip pools were not used much. We didn't care about the few kids there, but didn't have a room poolside, and mixing the two groups in such a small property doesn't seem to be successful as others have posted, dependant on your views of kids in small pools :) It might be worthwhile for Amari to be an adults only resort given it's overall feel.

We are BIG foodies and found the Italian restaurant quality very good. They have guitar players at night, and the beach front view was very romantic. There is also another restaurant serving Thai food on a higher level, but we did not find the quality of food to be as consistently good (plus why not visit some local small family restaurants who can knock Thai cusine out of the park?!?) Breakfast buffet was decent.

Rooms - we had a deluxe room which in Amari terms is basically a standard room type. This was our biggest disappointment sadly. The room was decent - very clean, but honestly, the BED was horribly HARD! It was a single mattress (no box spring) on a wood frame, and we found sleeping to be very uncomfortable. For a 5+ star property, we found the bed and linens to be 3 star at best. The hotel did put a blanket on top, but several guests jokingly referred to them as "camp beds", so we knew we weren't alone in this. We mentioned this to the Manager, who responded that most guests preferred this hard of bed. If you do like a very hard bed, great. If you don't, good luck getting any decent sleep on them. I would suggest the Amari have some memory foams available for the comfort of their guests. I miss the Amari, but don't miss the lack of sleep!

Unfortunately, my watch also went missing from our room, but given that the country is so poor and if someone really wanted my $150 watch, so be it. It was an easy thing to take as it was somewhat mixed amongst other things and not noticeable in it's absence necessarily. I must note though that at NO time did we feel that the room or property was unsafe, as we had valuable cameras, a computer, expensive sunglasses etc in the room and poolside that were never touched. We used the safe for money/passports etc.

This hotel is built on a hill, so there are several sets of stairs, which wouldn't be suitable for those with toddlers, strollers or people with mobility issues.

Staff wise - the staff were consistently pleasant, professional and had very good quality customer service - definitely 5 star. There are hotel management wandering around the property, checking in on your stay, but by no means did we find this intrusive (mind you, we're not the chatty types on vacation and prefer to stay pretty low key) I thought this was actually a big plus. It's nice to see management and chefs being proactive. It gave the resort a very personalized touch, in our opinion.

One can take the hotel transfer van to Au Nang at 4 pm each day, however space is limited so one needs to sign up early. It costs about 500 baht to get back though. There is also a smaller village one can get to for 200 baht with a few restaurants/shops etc. We ate off property twice in a week just to get a change of scenery. If you find a taxi driver you can communicate with along your stay, you can easily hire them for day trips at a fraction of the cost of tours plus the benefit of a personalized driver with no set time schedule. There are also long tail boats available right off the beach at the hotel (not a lot so noise wasn't an issue) and most left in the morning, returning guests in late afternoon. After a long hot day, we were delighted to be greeted by hotel staff with cold towels and water boatside the minute we exited.

Overall, Amari is a delightful, attentive, serene property which is perfect if that is what you're looking for!

1 Thank Rumpley
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

My partner and I live in Singapore, so we had an easy 1.5 hr flight to Krabi. We were greeted by a friendly driver, and arrived with 45 mins to the hotel.

The hotel is as fabulous as the reviews say - I have been lucky enough to stay in some superb hotels around the world (Hyatt and Ritz Carlton in Sharm el Sheikh), and the Amari Vogue was certainly on par.

The following comments are by means meant to be negative, as I loved this hotel, but they were important to me!

We ate in the restaurants a couple of times, and the food was always good - breakfasts were very impressive, the rest was ok for the price. The hotel is 20mins drive from the nearest town Ao-Nang, so the prices in the hotel (as to be expected) are inflated, and not always worthwhile. We did buy some snacks and drinks in the town and bring them back to the hotel, which we found many other guests doing. We wished we had researched the local restaurants more thoroughly as Ao-Nang has so many ,and they are a little 'hit and miss'. This is a 5* hotel so expect so pay a little more.

Some guests complained about the lack of sunbeds. On the beach we didn't find this to be a problem (although all the beds in the shade were taken early), finding a bed by the pool after lunctime was a challenge though - we ended up staying by the beach (not a hardship, but there was no shade there) - perhaps the hotel could invest in some umbrellas for the beach. Beds were 'reserved' with towels, but I have been resorts where this has been far worse. I guess you let it make you cross, or you don't let it affect you...

There were a lot of children at the hotel when we stayed, and although they were noisy, it is certainly not a reason to mark the hotel down. This is an amazing place for couples, and is not really a resort for children. As the hotel is so small, you do notice the shrieking and splashing - as an ex-teacher, I have a lower tolerance (!!), but I didn't let it bother me.

I look forward to returning to the Amari Vogue and being so close, my partner and I will definitely be making some weekend trips for a weekend of true relaxation!

I would have no hesisation in recommending this hotel to friends and family - we took business cards of the Managers Simon, and Miguel (who spoke to us everyday), and have distributesd them to work colleagues, who we know will also love this place.

As a final note, the location - by the beach etc is perfect, however, my partner and I enjoy getting out of a resort, and meeting new people, finding new places to eat etc, hence the 4/5 for location!

1 Thank LondonFraggle1
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

From the minute you walk through the lobby entrance you are greeted with cold jasmin towels, beautiful cold thai drink and warm smiles, the staff are nothing but amazing and welcoming in every way.

You wont have to lift a finger when you walk in the Amari doors as the helpfull reception staff and bell boys will make the trip to your room a breeze.
The rooms are big ( we stayed in a standard room ) and the bed's are the most amazing i have ever slept in!! they are like 2 double beds together but with no annoying gap in the middle .. it's one big bed and just divine!
The air conditioning works fantastically, everything in the room is spotlessly clean and turn down service and clean up happens everyday to make your room look like new everyday.
There is cable TV and with English channels - which is always good :)
The pools are awesome and many to choose from.
The beach is beautiful crystal clear and white sand.

The food and drinks here are excellent and i highly recommend the red curry with fruit ( just ask for the Vegatarian one ) its the best curry i have ever had - ( but remember to ask for it not too spicy .. hehehe

We had our wedding here and it was the most stress free event i have ever had to organize because everything was done for me ( but with my approval ) so i got the wedding i always wanted , but without the stress of it all.
Everything was perfect and there is nothing more i could have wanted - and i am very fussy!!

Time here just stood still for us, we never wanted to leave and now that we are home, all we want to do is go back there.
We only stayed here for 5 nights and next time we will make sure we stay longer!!

The breakfasts here are delicious, with full buffet of everything you could want , fresh juice, fruits, hot food, cold food, egg station , waffle station and more.. YUM!!

Miguel and Chumpol are 2 of the managers here and are the most accommodating and most friendly people i have ever met.
Chumpol's smile will make you melt and you are just helpless to smile right back
and Miguel's multi lingual talents will blow anyone away - we had fun trying to figure out how many languages he could speak.

I guarentee if you decide to stay with the Amari Vouge in Krabi you will not be dissapointed, We fell in love with it from the first minute we got there and cant wait to go back there next year and every year on our anniversary.

I reccomend this place to anyone wanting to get away and unwind!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fluffybunnyMelbourne
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

Stayed here in a honeymoon room for 4 nights in April 2009 and have nothing but positive memories, which have been reinforced by a recent stay in Koh Samui.

The room we had was very nice, comfortable bed, nice bathroom and with a beautiful view including a jacuzzi on the very large balcony. The staff were very friendly and seemed happy to work there. The restaurant meals were top quality, especially the banquet for Songkron. Try the Thai white wine - great with Thai food. The spa was excellent and quite good value.

Enjoyed ourselves so much that we did not leave the resort for 5 days, despite an offer from the manager to drive us to nearby restaurants. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dublin_Honeymooners
Geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

Our great relationship with the staff at this hotel began well before we arrived for our holiday. We had to make some changes to our datesand itinerary and everything was handled professionally, efficiently and courteously. So much so that we decided to stay 8 days instead of 4.
The hotel arranged for us to be picked up at Phuket airport which is a 2.5 hour drive (it is more convenient to fly to Krabi airport if you can). Immediately upon arrival (after an overnight flight) we were greeted with cold towels and a delicious cold fruit cocktail, and booking in only took a few minutes. We were shown to our room and personally orientated to the resort whilst our bags were delivered to our room.
We were expecting it to be beautiful because we had reviewed the hotel photos and read the Trip advisor reviews, but the magnificence of the scenery has to be seen to be believed. It was so much more than photos could express, the view out to the Hong islands is breathtaking (especially when relaxing in the infinity pool, or having a Krabi Punch cocktail), Happy Hour every afternoon is very good value.
We had a beautiful Garden facing room, and even though our sixteen year old son shared our room there was plenty of space. He really enjoyed having a choice of DVD's to borrow, the great room service for supper (excellent burgers), the Gym and the free internet in the Sunset lounge so the he could talk to his friends every day.
We booked all our tours via the hotel desk and all were great experiences, these included Elephant trekking (a must), Phi Phi island tour (another must), white water rafting and Thai Boxing. You can go straight out to the Hong Islands from in front of the hotel and you can get a packed lunch (Thai or Western from the restaurant). The cost of the tours is just added to your account and everything is so easy. There is also a free shuttle bus at 16.00 hrs everyday to Au Nang but you need to book early to ensure a seat.
The Dining was excellent, there are a choice of either Thai food or Western food and both were delicious. The breakfast is another breathtaking experience, you can sit outside next to the moat filled with beautiful Koi fish, look out to the Hong islands and eat Thai, Western or Japanese with all the trimmings and eggs cooked by the chef to your requirements (you might think you died and went to heaven). You can also walk along the beach and dine at other resorts, but we didn't feel the need to.
The pool is amazing with the incredible elephant fountains, and the beach is beautiful, iced water is delivered regularly as you lie on the sun lounges or under an umbrella, and in the afternoon complimentary treats like home made ice cream or fresh friut sticks are served.
The spa services are out of this world, I highly recommend a body scrub with a massage.
One of the highlights was witnessing a Thai weding (for an Aussie couple) with all the Thai music and dancing and five monks performing the ceremony. The hotel had arranged everything and decorated the area beatifully, the bride and groom were excstatic.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the service was outstanding, the rooms were kept immaculate and every night we got turn down service with an orchid and a home made treat from the kitchen. The Manager and senior staff are highly visible and very hospitable, and manage to chat to all the guests everyday to check that all is in order.
You would be mad if you go to Krabi seeking 5 star accomodation and not book this resort. We will be going back next year.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank NoreenGeelong
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

It was a pleasure to be a guest at Amari Vogue. The attention given to every detail and to every guest is impeccable. We spent 8 nights there, first fearing we'll have nothing to do, but in the end, time went by so fast...
Thanks to Miguel, the managing director and his amazing staff for an unforgettable vacation.
Gal & Emily

4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,334 reviews
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Amari Vogue Krabi? Share your experiences!