“What a awesome experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$89.00*
and up
Punta Cana Half-Day Dune Buggy Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Real Dune Buggy Adventure, Dune Buggy's with VW-4 stroke engine. Half Day or Full day excursions to the Dominican Country side. Drive with us to the most beautiful places. Xtreme Buggy takes Buggy excursions to the next level. Only Xtreme-Buggy's have Beetle engine and Berrien Buggy frames from U.S. This is not a toy Buggy, our Buggy's are 4 real FUN.
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a awesome experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This trip was fantastic! We had friends that had done this about 2 or 3 years ago and when we told them that we were going to Punta Cana - not only did they go on the trip with us, but they made sure we all did the buggy ride and I am so glad we did. We had the best day; despite the pouring rain in the morning and my hangover - it was worth every minute! The tour guide, the owners - all amazing people! So fun to hang out with! Do not pass this up if you are in Punta Cana for vacation - I can not wait to go back.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Maria2438

Vaslui
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Amazing experience !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm glad that I let myself convinced to go on this trip. Amazing experience, beautiful place to visit during the trip. I have nothing negative to say. I highly recommend to go. I think it's important to have some money because you would want to buy many things during the stops.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank suzana_nicolae
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Would do it over and over”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Just finished our half day ride. What a wondrous experience. Would highly recommend this to anyone. Buggies were great and you can tell how much pride they have in them and the tour. Such and amazing time driving through the country and seeing everyone and how happy the kids were to see us. Thank you for the amazing adventure! From your Milwaukee friends.

1 Thank Angela H
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Real Live Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband saw this tour on TripAdvisor before we left for the Dominican Republic before we left and was determined to have a go right from the start. We booked to go with my parents and went 2 per buggy so both my husband and my dad could get in as much driving as possible. The trip is both of their kind of thing but my mum and I were less enthusiastic at the start. However, after doing the trip I would recommend it both for the buggies and the sight seeing.

We were picked up from the hotel by Angela in her 4x4. It was a very short journey from the Royalton but it was comfortable and Angela was very friendly. She chatted with us the whole way and had a lot of good local knowledge.

When we arrived at the buggy shop were were introduced to the other couple on the tour, did some paperwork and were given goggles. The buggies are not toy vehicles for entertainment only but are proper kit buggies (like a roll cage with a big Beetle engine and wheels). As the bucket seats are fixed to the floor and not moveable the drivers are matched to a buggy suited to their leg length. Both the drivers in our group are experienced drivers used to manual transmissions so they got the idea pretty quickly.

Karl was our tour guide and he lead the convey of 4 buggies including himself. He was very friendly and both he and the owner seemed very passionate about the vehicles. I think he was Austrian but his English was good. Whilst driving hand signals were used to communicate but at the stops we were told about the local area, the country and its culture. The trip was a brilliant insight into the Dominican Republic and life there and the trip was worth it for that alone.

During the tour we drove down regular roads, dirt tracks in the countryside and even a dual carriageway. The buggies don't have too many knobs and whistles so as long as you know how to drive a car you should be fine. Each buggy has a metal box on the roof to store your things so bring a camera and towel. I expected the bare seats of the buggy to be uncomfortable but they were pretty comfy. The ride wasn't too bumpy either. Be prepared to get dirty though. If it's rained then you will get covered in mud and if not you'll be showered in dust. As the trail are so full of holes if there's a puddle there's often no choice but to drive through it. The boys loved this! I did less so and will admit to nearly crying when donkey poo flicked up at me.

During the trip we stopped at a rural house that doubled as a farm / cock fighting trainer / lotto retailer / shop. We were given fresh hot coffee and given a little time to look around the gardens of the house. There were lots of animals about and the cockerels were beautiful.The house was the only one in the area to have electricity and it was amazing to see how ingenious the people have to be to live. As we drove further from the main roads children ran alongside the buggies and waved. They all looked really happy and it was a joy to see them.

We also stopped at a limestone quarry and the supermarket in a small town. Karl told us about each location as we stopped and we learned a lot from him. The trip was really interesting. At the supermarket we had coca cola and cheese with crackers whilst people stopped to use the facilities. The last stop was at Macao beach where we had time to paddle. The sea had waves a lot bigger than at our hotel and it was great fun to jump into them. It was also fantastic to wipe some of the dust off of ourselves and feel a little less grimy. Take a spare T shirt with you as it's lovely to put a fresh one on after the beach stop. There are only paved roads afterwards so you don't just get filthy all over again.

When we got back to the garage we had the opportunity to buy the CD of photographs that Karl had been taking throughout the trip. There wasn't tonnes of pressure to purchase them which was appreciated but the price was very reasonable. As well as shots with the buggy there are pictures of all the locations we saw and other points of interest.

My husband and dad are still talking about this trip now. It was a firm favourite for both of them and they would do it again in a shot. Despite me and my mum not being interested in driving we both also enjoyed the trip. It is a great way to get off of the resorts and see some of the Dominican Republic and I would recommend the trip. Thank you to Angela, Charlie and Carl for a fantastic day out!

Visited April 2014
6 Thank Purpular
Dayton, Ohio
“Wonderful exciting trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to get a good feel for the Dominican life. They we're prompt and highly knowledgable. Carl was an excellent guide full of information. Be sure someone can drive a stick shift.

Visited April 2014