Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
    Good 3.5/5
    Excellent 5/5
    Good 3.5/5
    8,031 results
    All reviewsstar friendsstar rock cafesteakseafooddominican republicthe oriental restauranta la carte restaurantsguest servicesla pagodajunior suiteapple vacationsbeautiful beachother resortsceiling fanlobby barfrozen drinkssaona island
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 2 March 2010

Absolut great destination with excellent price/service relation. Rooms are big, clean and quiet (as long as you do not face the beach restaurant). Staff is very friendly. Dance shows in the evening are outstanding, game shows are low level. Food buffet style offers are great choice of international standard food, speciality restaurants offer good qualtity. Pool area is clean, pool service ok. The prices in the hotel shops are very high, internet fee also. They have a well equipped fitness center (didn't expect that quality of machines there)

If you need rest, you get it. If you like to walk along the seaside, there are miles of shoreline to explore.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
    Reviewed 1 March 2010

We had a few bumps along the road but had a very good time at Iberostar Dominicana. Very well organized by Apple-less than 4 hours direct flight and about 1/2 hour bus ride to the resort. We were the only ones staying here in our bus, so check in only took a couple of minutes. They upgraded us to a jr. suite from a garden room for free, so if they don't offer the upgrade, ask for it because there is quite a difference between the two.
    As many have stated, to get a great spot on the beach get there at or before 7:00 and leave a towel. The towel thing is kind of strange here-you get a card for each towel and at the end of your stay you turn the towel in (near the pool) and get your card back to give to the front desk at checkout. If you leave the towels in your room at checkout you'll have to go back and get them, walk to the towel shed, and get your card. Anyway, even if you get to the beach late you can still get one of the thatched huts for the day. This was one of the few beaches I have been on that there are plenty of chairs and sun protection for everyone.
    One problem we did have was the Dominican version of Montezuma's revenge. We were very careful about drinking only bottled water, so it had to come from the ice, which was the only thing we both drank. I guess I should have stuck with the beer!
    My wife was also unhappy that the main buffet closed at 10:00 and they began removing food at 9:40, so we had to eat breakfast at the beach buffet several times. We're obviously not early risers when on vacation.
    The on site Iberostar golf course was very nice and it is about $50 cheaper than the other local courses. Nike rental clubs which were in good shape. Some very deep bunkers, one of which is a cave, and a couple of island par 3's that are completely surrounded by sand. They offer a low rate to play after 2:00, but when you feel how hot it is to play here in the afternoon you will see why almost nobody plays this late unless it is overcast.
    Best side trip we went on was the Reef Adventure, which had snorkeling, kayaking, food and massage for a reasonable price on an artificial island out on the reef. Nice fish on the reef, and the obligatory stingray holding which we skipped. No booze on this trip.
    Food left a little to be desired but there is something for everybody. The Rock Cafe is a pretty good place to go if you want to order off a menu without making reservations. The grilled grouper was very good, and they have burgers and more Americanized food.
    There were far more people from Europe and Canada than there were American, which was fine as far as we were concerned. Be prepared for some really ill-fitting Speedos. Booze was good, draft beer was not so bad but as I said beware of the ice in mixed drinks. We did always leave a few bucks for the waiters and bartendars, but that's up to you.
    All in all a nice trip and truly a beautiful beach. Some days we spent 10 hours on the beach and with the breeze it was just beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 28 February 2010

My husband and I just returned last night from our 6 day stay at this resort. Prior to booking it, I read numerous reviews on Trip Advisor about various resorts in Punta Cana. While I wasn't looking for the cheapest place, I wasn't willing to shell out a lot of money for some luxurious hotel either as this was a spur-of-the-moment trip to get us away from the snow for a while. I was definitely nervous to confirm our booking because of some of the bad reviews that I read, however, it was ranked #7 of 98 hotels at the time on the Trip Advisor website so I figured how bad could it be. I ended up booking this hotel through Apple on-line which was a very pleasant experience. Before I write about the hotel, I have to say that booking with Apple was better than I expected. We had an Apple rep, Mark, right at the hotel and he was able to answer all of our questions and even help us out when our bank wouldn't dispense money through the hotel's ATM. (Tip: Make sure you let your bank know that you are traveling out of the country.) The transfers to and from the hotel from Apple were great, no problems. Now to the hotel, the check in was quick, maybe 3 minutes. The front desk had a packet with our name and room number on it and told us that we were upgraded to a junior suite (unknown as to why but we were happy) and that the room was ready even though it was only 12:30 and check-in wasn't until 3:00. The packet contained information about the hotel, etc.) Our room was very clean and had no moldy smell as some have indicated but we weren't in the regular garden view room as I suspect the other writers were. The staff were extremely friendly and happy. They would say "hola" when you pass by, they would sing just out of the blue and just seemed to have a good time. We were pleasantly surprised by this because of a prior stay at a different resort in Punta Cana about 6 years ago. The buffet was excellent. I am a vegetarian and found plenty to eat. There was even a section labeled "vegetarian" at the dinner buffet each night. Let me just say that we were entitled to 3 ala carte meals and chose not to go to any. We loved the buffet so much that we wanted to eat there every night. There is food at the resort 24 hours a day at various places. There is an ice cream bar right at the beach and even a popcorn machine for those who wanted just a little bit to snack on during the day. Those things seemed to be a hit with the children at the resort. When we first got there, we were surprised at all of the people drinking from glasses of water that were poured during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our Apple rep informed us that it was completely safe because it's filtered. The only water at the resort that you cannot drink is the tap (and shower) water in your room. They even wash all fruit with filtered water. I drank a lot of the water during my meals and never got sick. The ONLY disappointment at this resort is their nightly entertainment, however, some of the people there seemed to love it so it's just a matter of opinion. I think I was just expecting it to be like the entertainment on a cruise ship which it is not. To summarize, we were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful, clean and friendly this resort is and would go back again. We were already talking about our return trip. We spoke to others at the airport who stayed at more expensive resorts and they were not as pleased as we were. One last thing, we decided to take an excursion and chose the full-day outback safari. It was interesting to see how the people in the DR truly live but we felt that $90 pp was a bit much for this trip. That's just our opinion but I am glad that we went, it was a nice experience. Check out their website and see what they have to offer on this trip. I hope this helps!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank BeazerPA
    Reviewed 28 February 2010

This was our first trip to Punta Cana and we had a great time. I traveled with my husband
    and our 9 year old son. We had never been to an all inclusive resort before. The highlight
    was the beach. The water was beautiful turquoise blue and the sand was white and so soft. There were plenty of chairs. We did have some problems finding chairs under the shade even though we got down to the beach by 9 or 10. It seemed like people would put their towels down early and then you would not see them until early or late afternoon. I would take alot of sunscreen! We are from the Midwest and even with SPF 50 our son burned the 1st couple of days. We went through 3 bottles in 7 days. The sunscreen at the shops is over $20 a bottle if you have to buy there.
    The food was a little disappointing. Sometimes you could find something that was good but for the most part we found it bland and quality was not as good as we expected. I enjoy a good glass of wine and was not able to find any good wine. We were we pretty liberal on our choices of seafood, lettuce and meats and when we returned we were sick for about a week and a 1/2. My husband started coming down with an upset stomach about 1/2 was through the trip.
    The staff for the most part was friendly and worked very hard. The staff in the shops were the least friendly and did not speak much english (or at least did not appear to). I wish I would have brushed up on my spanish before going. To know the basics would be helpful.
    Liddo at the beach bar and Johnny Bravo were our favorite staff. They really go out of their way to make your trip enjoyable.
    Use caution on the pool area and the grounds due to slippery tile.
    The room was clean but really could use some updating and I wish I would have brought air freshner; the smell was not too good. We did not expect to spend much time in our room so this was minor but for the cost of the trip I expected to have better accommodations.
    I would go back to Punta Cana but I would try a different resort. I would look for a newer or updated hotel. I do think the beach area we had was by best the far along the strip that we stayed on. Our main reason for the vacation was beach and sun and that exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
    1  Thank JJS_10
    Reviewed 25 February 2010

I travelled with my 3 children, it was a thorougly enjoyable, relaxing experience. There was plenty of food for all, lots of beverage choices, the pools were amazing, the beach was fantastic. The room was clean and functional, they even provided an extra bed for us, which we had asked for, but certainly didn't expect. The staff was friendly, bring along some spanish to communicate, but they all speak english.

The bummer parts are the amount of smoking done on the property, at the pool, at the beach and in at least one of the restaurants. The reserving of the beach/pool chairs, totally annoying to see prime hairs sit for hours at a time with nobody on them, not that we were afraid to tuck aside a generic pool towel, but some people are clever and leave their books/etc. And the European women sunbathing topless, which is not allowed, but is done anyway, I was rather upset about it then I figured, if you guys want my 11 & 13 yo ogling you -- go for it (yuck!).

We would definitely visit again, the kids have already requested a trip next year.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family