Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
10,379 results
All reviewssports barimperial clubtravel clubromance suitemare nostrumthe punta cana sectiona la carte restaurantsdominican republicspanish restaurantjunior suitesapple repmake reservationsmaster suitesaona islandlanguage barrierthe bell boybottle of rum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We returned on Saturday 7th July 2012, after a two week stay, we had reservations on the hotel but we need not have worried it was great,
The food was 10/10 and the speciality resturants were fantastic especially the Japanese.
Cleanleness of the room /hotel/grounds is second to none.
Staff were wonderful from the maids to the management all cheerful and helpfull.
Our room 7216 was an upgrade to a loft suite newly painted but not refurbished, jacuzi and large balcony . Maria our maid kept it spotless. You need to keep a sence of humor as they dont allways understand you but sigh language and a smile ,plus a dollar gets you a long way.
We took two trips Zip lining GREAT need trainers and if you luse an inhaler keep it with you, a lot of walking/climbing in the forest is required. The other trip was the Sunny Day catamaran cruise, again great we were lucky to have only 9 people on board, which made it fun.
Tempertatures high with humidity 75 hence plenty of cotton clothes as nylon sticks like glue.
No kettle in room but there is coffee perculator.
Iron and ironing board in wardrobe, hairdryer that works, line on balcony.
Hemmingways bar is great lots of good international drinks air contitioned and plenty of card/game tables but take yoou own cards.
Take time to catch the train it will give you a sence of direction as the resort is huge.
Evening entertainment is OK if you like that sort of thing, we prefered Hemmingways.
Plenty of things to do on the beach water sports etc. We had no trouble finding a bed on either the beach or the pool, again the trip salesmen on the beach were no trouble a polite no thank you is all that is needed. Snack bar on the beach was great for lunch, as much as you wanted.
Thats about it you will enjoy have a great time and dont forget a smile goes a long way.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank toeragTrowbridge
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We were at the Grand Palladium Bavaro for 2 weeks, June 23rd to July 7th. The best attributes of this resort are the beautiful beach, excellent food and great staff.

Flight: We flew with West Jet and our flight was comfortable. The advantage of the tourist visa being included, saved us a couple of hours wait at the airport! West Jet rep Heather was very helpful at the start & the end of our vacation. The bus ride is 30mins to the resort.

Room: We stayed in villa 60, our room was lovely...spacious, large sofa with a coffee table & a chair, modern decor, flat screen tv, two comfortable double beds, large built-in closets with sliding doors, huge bathroom with double vanity, separate shower, toilet stall and a jacuzzi. The cleaning ladies work hard and the room was immaculate. Mini fridge was refilled daily. We had no problems with water pressure or air conditioning.

Beach: Simply beautiful! Soft white sand, lots of palapas. Like other resorts, towel game unfortunately does prevail. Resort staff keep the beach clean and remove seaweed in the mornings. Seaweed is not in their control so amount visible varies depending on the weather & tides.

Pools: Our favourite was the Samana pool in the punta cana section. Its been renovated and is very child friendly. Ideal location for families as its adjacent to the kids club.

Food: During our stay 4 buffets and 6 a la cartes were open and we tried them all. Food quality, taste and presentation was far superior to what one expects at an AI. The staff work non-stop so be patient and they'll serve you with a smile. There is a no reservation system for the a la cartes, if you go by 6:30pm there would be no waiting. If you arrive later, a buzzer is provided. Of course you have to allow time for the first seating to finish so relax & have a few drinks at the bar.

Bars: Lobby bars are great. Plenty of beach bars & pool bars. Lots of variety and if you want extra strong, just ask. Hemingways is air conditioned, offers premium liquor and delicious coffees.

Staff: Friendly and hard working. A smile & Hola goes a long way. Learn Spanish words for please, thank you, more, less...the staff will appreciate your effort and you'll make some friends.

Please go with an open mind and a relaxed attitude. If things are not perfect, just go with the flow!
Thank you to everyone who made our vacation special! Hola to Kelvin in restaurants, Jennifer in bars, Kenya in POP, Alexander our bell boy....so many lovely people, can't remember all the names.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank lovehotbeaches
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Bavaro from July 2nd-July 9th. Let me first start by saying that my family and I have traveled on many all-inclusive trips and have learned from past experiences to take negative reviews on trip-advisor with a grain of salt. My family and I are by no means "high maintenance" individuals and I firmly believe that YOU make your own vacation!! With that said, I do not understand how a person could NOT have an amazing time at this resort! Our family vacation consisted of a total of five of us ranging in age from 20's to 50's. This resort offers something for everyone!

We booked our vacation through Apple Vacation (who we have used to travel to Riviera Maya, Jamaica, and the D.R.) which we have never encountered any problems. Upon arrival we were greeted with cold rags to refresh our faces, a smiley "hola", along with a flute of delicious fruit punch. We were checked in and given wrist bands. We were told to check back after 3 p.m. to see if our rooms were ready. We had read about the Sports Bar and were eager to head there after a long flight for some food! The Sports Bar consists of a small salad bar, popcorn station, a buffet of pizza, chicken wings, frozen cocktails, ice cream, a bar, and chefs constantly cooking items. My family was satisfied with delicious pizza and Presidente!

After checking back with the front desk after lunch later on, we were told that our rooms still were not ready. While we waited we were well taken care of in the lobby by a waitress who was happy to keep the presidente (the resort's beer) and Miami Vice's coming! Very refreshing after a long flight and hot weather. My only complaint with the front desk is that our check-in took quite awhile. M boyfriend and I were pleased to find out that our room had been upgraded to a Junior Suite that would be located near the beach. My mother, father, and brother, however, were placed in a villa located near the lobby. While we had originally wanted to be close by in location, my family was okay with being apart.

As far as our room was concerned, we were very pleased with villa 53 and its cleanliness. The room consisted of a king sized bed, a leather pull out couch, shower, jacuzzi, mini fridge (that was stocked daily) and a flat screen t.v. Our room 1535 did have a small ant problem. We would notice small ants that got in through a crack on our second story balcony. We did report this to the front desk on our second to last day, however no one came to check up on the problem. But like I said it really wasn't that big of a deal. The room was always very clean!

After settling in, my family and I headed to the beautiful beach! While enjoying the view from our green beach chairs, we simply greeted a "beach/maintenance" worker dressed in green by the name of Fernando. While his English was very limited, he was eager and friendly to say hello and to inquire about our trip and family. While some people have commented that the Dominicans are not friendly, I have never found this to be true. A simple smile and "Hola" goes very far! My family believes in good service, and the fact that good service should be compensated for. With that said, we were not hesitant to offer a few dollars here and there for the many hard-working individuals who work very hard to make our trip enjoyable. The workers of this resort were always VERY appreciative. (Please note that tipping does not ulitimately affect how you are treated as this resort.) There were a couple of days were my boyfriend and I had forgotten to leave a few dollars under our pillow for the maid. We were still given fresh linens, a nicely made bed, towels, and fresh decorative flowers. Service was always great! Throughout the course of our stay Fernando continued to greet us each afternoon and ask about our day. Say hello to him on the beach, he is awesome!!

My family chose to eat in the two buffets offered at the Bavaro resort. The different themed nights offered something to please everyone for dinner. After a morning on the beach, we were always excited for the lunch buffet. (We highly suggest finding a spot furthest from the buffet near the beach. You will experience a nice view and a great breeze). We are not picky people and found that there was always something new on the buffet to try. However, after seven days the food does become repetitive, but you find the items that you enjoy. For my family, we could always count on the bread, pizza, pasta, and fruit to be good. We chose to eat at the Japanese restaurant one evening and we were highly impressed. Our chef Francisco was great and really got our table into the whole experience. We enjoyed an appetizer of sushi or soup, chicken, beef, shrimp, and salmon accompanied with vegetables and rice for dinner, and your choice of dessert. Although we only ate at one a la carte, this is one you don't want to pass up.

We are very much beach people, however, after a day at the beach we would travel up to the pool to have a few cocktails and swim in the pool. If I were to have one complaint about this resort it would be the cleanliness of the pool. Many occasions there were branches, cups, and other sorts of items floating in the pool. The temperature was also comparable to bath water (not exactly refreshing). It is my own personal opinion that swim up bars (at ANY resort) are a bit dirty, simply for the fact that you rarely see children and people bellied up to the bar leave for a restroom break. Seating at the pool or beach was never an issue for us.

For $10 each we decided to Banana Boat through the resort's "Dive Center" down the beach. Although my family had trouble staying on, it was great for a laugh. My brother and I had a great time kayaking (all non-motorized sports were free). We participated in aerobics in the morning on the beach. Volleyball and dancing lessons were also performed in the morning as well. I suggest walking a mile or so down the beach to the straw market. It is here where you can buy souvenirs and gifts at a negotiated price rather than the high priced items in the resort's gift shop. Beware though, these people are very pushy and will approach you to come take a look in their shops. If you bargain with them they will most often give you a fair price. As for the people approaching you on the beach, a simple "no gracias" does the trick, no need to be rude! We found that some just wanted to talk, if possible take the time to get to know them!

As far as night time entertainment, our family attended two shows (Michael Jackson and The Circus) Both excellent! The lobby bar every night had a small band and singers who provided upbeat lounge music before/after dinner. We attended the disco several times. It was a good time, although the music was very loud. But if I am to recommend one thing at all it would be Grand Palladium Bavaro's best kept secret, Hemmingway's. It is a full indoor bar that is air conditioned. Hemmingway's serves top shelf liquor. We would often play cards and listen to the excellent piano player. It is only open from 5pm-Midnight. It was seldom crowded and very relaxing!

I know I have written a very long review, and I could go on and on, but my family had a wonderful, and very memorable vacation at Grand Palladium Bavaro. As far as value goes, I believe "you get what you pay for", well in this instance I belive you get more!! With the beautiful beach and gorgeous accomodations you're sure to have an amazing vacation too!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
20  Thank Megan P
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Bavaro from June 22 through the 29th. We had chosen this resort because of Trip Advisor recommendations that it is the best resort for teenagers in Punta Cana besides the Club Med. Since our 16 year old daughter and 17 year old son were each bringing a friend, this was the most affordable choice. I had requested Villa 27 because of the good reviews but it wasn't available so we were given Villa 55, Junior Suites 1556 and 1557. We were told they were adjoining, but they weren't; however, the rooms were beautiful and the bathroom was very large. The location of Villa 27 would have been ideal since it was right at the beach entrance, beach restaurant entrance and at the end of the path to get to the lobby. Villa 55 didn’t have direct beach frontage and was a bit further from the lobby, so it involved a lot of walking since they do not want you to cut across the grass. I highly recommend renting bikes to get around the complex (more on that later). There is a safe in each room that fits an iPad with room left for wallets, passports and camera.

The very first day, our teenagers hated the resort. It was definitely off season and they couldn't find any other teens. The resort was so large, they couldn't find their way back to the room easily and couldn’t find any English speaking guests to help them out. I, on the other hand, loved the fact that it was not crowded. This meant that I didn’t have to wake up early to find beach chairs. The beach was gorgeous and they keep the entire grounds maintained. I had been concerned that the waves may be too rough for my kids wandering off on their own, but the ocean was perfect. Compared to the Jersey Shore, the water temperature is much warmer and waves aren’t as rough. Five percent of the women were topless which I found to be rude and I don't feel the resort should allow it. We had no problem getting a shaded hut even though we didn't arrive until around 8:30 am. I believe that there was even a couple available at about 10 am, but chairs were always available. The bartender was super nice at our beach bar. Even though she did not speak English, she came to know my name (from the stickers on my personalized Bubba mug) and greeted me every time I came up to the bar. The Banana Mama was yummy and refreshing! I found all the staff to be friendly and helpful...especially Marino with Apple Tours. When we couldn't get in to the Japanese Hibachi Restaurant he made reservations for us the next evening. Which brings me to the food, which, on a whole, we felt was average. We really enjoyed the Hibachi show and the sushi appetizer. The steakhouse was also pretty good. The Brazilian, located next to the Hibachi, was just okay, while the Italian was surprisingly good. The Hibachi was the hardest to get into. The a la cartes don’t open until 6:00 PM, but the line at the Hibachi began to form at 5:30 PM to get a seat or reservations for later that day. You would have no problem getting into the Steakhouse if you got there at 6:00. However, by 6:30, you can expect to only find seating outside. Men will not be admitted into the a la cartes unless they are wearing pants. We went to the buffet a couple of times for dinner, which wasn’t great, except for the crepe station and the mangoes. Both were available at breakfast and dinner and I think our family ate all of the mangoes! They were delicious! Hemmingway’s Piano Bar was located in our Bavaro section and that was the only place in the complex that serves premium liquors. They had quite a few card tables, so we went there a few nights. My husband and I really enjoyed listening to the piano, playing cards and drinking our Baileys and coffee.

As I mentioned earlier, because of the scope of the resort, I highly recommend renting bikes for the duration of your trip. The bike rental shop is located at the Punta Cana section and it cost us $70 for two bicycles for 5 days. At first, they told us that we couldn’t charge it to our room, but I think they didn’t understand English very well. If that happens to you, just have them call the front desk. Samuel at the Bavaro front desk was very helpful. Whenever we ran into a little problem, he would help us out. They will give you a key to the bike, which you can wear around your neck and there are bike stations positioned conveniently throughout the resort. When you want to stop riding, park it at one of the stations and simply plug the lock at the station into your bike! It definitely came in handy when riding from the Bavaro over to the Palace section to go to the gym or just to take a nice bike ride at night when it was a bit cooler. There is a train that runs throughout the resort, but it takes much too long to catch it. Instead of waiting for the train, we went to the lobby and for the most part were able to hitch a ride to the restaurants with one of the staff members on one of their carts.

The Punta Cana and Palace sections seemed to overlap each other and were more centrally located than the Bavaro. Both have pools right next to the beach, while the Bavaro section didn’t. If we were to come here again, we would probably stay in the Palace Section. There seemed to be more Americans in that location and they had a buffet between the pool and the beach. We chose the Bavaro because of Trip Advisor recommendations on the rooms. Many said that the bathrooms weren’t private in the other locations, and didn’t feel they would be a good choice if you had children. However, we spoke with people who were staying in the Punta Cana and Palace Sections and they really liked their rooms. They said that the Jacuzzi tub was the only thing that wasn’t private, which we never used any way. The Sports Bar was located in the Bavaro section and that was the place to be when the Euro soccer games were on. There were quite a number of Europeans wearing soccer jerseys and my husband and the boys really enjoyed watching the games amongst them. The Disco and Theatre were right near the Sports Bar. There is free wifi in the lobby so we would bring the iPad there and head to the show afterwards. The shows were just average, except for the Michael Jackson show which I enjoyed. We went to the disco twice. The “People of Punta Cana” (aka POP) staff were there. One of the nights, they lined everyone up in a train dance and brought out a coffin with a vampire inside. They placed it in the middle of the dance floor and proceeded to pour alcohol on either side of the coffin, lit it on fire and had everyone dance around it! Then they picked up the coffin and stood it up, the vampire came out of it and they put an alcohol funnel in it and lined everyone up to take a shot. It was quite an experience!

Don’t listen to the weather forecast. Before we left, we were concerned because the weather forecast called for rain and isolated thunderstorms for the entire week; however, we had perfect weather. Of course, it was quite warm, but it only rained during the day one time, for about 10 minutes, it showered during the night twice. My son went with his friend to the Dominican in August last year and when we checked www.weather.com, it said heavy rain every day. When he returned, he said that it only rained for about 10 minutes each day while they were there.

We brought our blow dryer and flat iron because I had read that we would be able to use the outlets in the room since they were 110 voltage. However, the outlets are recessed, so wide rectangular plugs would not fit, including one of our Ipod chargers. U.S. plugs that have one wider prong, would not fit either. They did have a decent blow dryer in the bathroom though, so it worked out.

There are a couple of recommendations for the hotel that I feel would be of value to their guests. Guests should be given the latest restaurant schedule since the restaurants alternate closing each week. We went early to the Japanese Restaurant one night and it was closed, which would have been avoided if we had been given a schedule upon check-in. Currently, there are only two kids clubs, the “Mini Club” for children 3-12 years old and the “Junior Club” for older teens. Instead, there should be three clubs. The “Mini club should be for children ages 3-8; the “Junior Club” should be for kids 9-13; and they should add a “Young Adult Club” for teenagers who are 14-17 years old. They should offer activities solely for the Young Adults, like contests at the pool and beach, volleyball games, etc. They should also have their own hang-out room that can be turned into a disco at night. All in all, I would say that our first experience at an “All Inclusive” was a success, since the kids wanted to stay another week! I will post a map and pictures of our Junior Suite.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room close to the beach. Villa 27 is in an ideal location.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank pdemeo
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed in villa 55. Our room was newly renovated with flat screen tv, new bedding and room decor. It had a double beds. That was the only thing I did not like but we pushed the beds together.

Checking was a bit of a wait since there other people checking in but once we checked in, our room was ready and it was around 2 pm. Lobby was hot. But we all know that's how it is in PC.

Food was ok better than other resorts I've visited. Drinks were great; tasty and cold.
Hotel staff was great. This hotel has an indoor buffet which was opened on the fourth day of our stayed. We love some ac! The buffet was opened for breakfast and dinner. Our favorite theme night was the Mexican night. If you want to eat at the habachi restaurant, make sure to get your seating ticket at 6 pm when the a la carte restaurants open.

Beach: was wonderful. We did the speed boat excursion. It was fun. We paid 120
For the 2 of us. You can negotiate prices for excursions at the beach.

Pools: great. They need some TLC but they had nice, cool water to swim in.
We used the bavaro pool Punta Cana pool.

Mini club: we loved. Carina treated our baby boy great. We dropped him off for a few hours day.

At night, there was live music at eat lobby. Casino is new. We enjoyed it. It small but nice.
Hotel train shuttle service is weak. They need another train going around. We did a lot of walking taking our son to the punta Cana section mini club. Next time if we go to this resort, we will stay at the Punta Cana section because the mini club is right next to pool.
Spa is great. We got a massage. It was wonderful.

Great resort. Overall, even with all the walking, we do recommend this resort. It's fun and has lots to offer it guests.

• Stayed: July 2011
7  Thank libi81
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at our Resort. We are very elated knowing that you enjoyed all what our property has to offer.

I encourage you to visit again in the near future so you can once more make the Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort and Spa your home away from home. We would be more than happy hosting you.