Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
US$375
US$326
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Los Corales Beach Village(Bavaro)(Great Value!)
US$90
Melia.com
US$927
Hotelpower.com
10,444 results
All reviewssports barimperial clubtravel clubromance suitemare nostrumthe punta cana sectiona la carte restaurantsdominican republicspanish restaurantjunior suitesapple repmake reservationsmaster suitesaona islandlanguage barrierthe bell boybottle of rum
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed at the Grand Palladium for 6 days, 5 nights.

We booked through Apple Vacations. Deal was great. Watch out for the $10 "entry fee" into the country. Wasn't prepared for this. Take lots of cash b/c the ATM's only give out peso's and NO ONE will give you American dollars. We took about $250 cash, half in $1 and $5 and it was plenty. If you consider we used debit cards to pay for our massages (watch out bank charged $5 international fee for the two times our debit card came out. Do not use debit card anywhere outside of resort!). We bought $50 in souvenirs and the rest was our tip money.

Arrival: Go to your Apple or whatever agent in the lobby of airport. Do not go up to men offering you a ride. They try to get you before you get to travel service people. Be prepared that the drive is a little scary. No speed limit signs, yielding and I did think I would die before getting to resort. :)

Also, meet with your agent in the lobby of hotel at set time. They give you a card at airport about this. It's not mandatory but SO HELPFUL. Like everyone, we were anxious to hit the beach for pina coladas, but thank God we met with her for the 30 minutes. She explained everything to us about the country, resort and we would have been dumb not to meet with her.

ROOMS: We had a romance suite ON THE BEACH ...you couldn't get any closer and it was PERFECT. It was large and spacious, and the bathroom was twice the size as the room. We loved this. My husband loved the outdoor shower. Totally worth every cent just for location and accomodations alone. STEAL space for the price! only problem -- the hallways outside the doors are LOUD...major echoe so you hear voices outside your door at night CLEAR AS DAY. The first night we were there a German guy was screaming outside our door. It woke us out of a sound sleep and I thought we were under attack. LOL! Was a little frightened on my first night in foreign country. I tried to call the front desk for security b/c he was banging on several doors including ours (no peephole in door so we never opened it) but the first THREE #'s I called on the phone (cust service, front desk and concierge) no on answered. I got a little panicked that my husband and I would be killed . The guy outside the door was really loud and scary. Needless to say, I finally found security and eventually it stopped, but I don't know if the security took me seriously. They say Dominicans take about 30 min to respond to anything which scared the heck out of me. Just don't open the door. Other nights we just heard doors slamming and people talking outside the door all night. I recommend bringing an Ipod with ocean sounds or something if you are a light sleeper like me. Noise fans are essential! There is an Ipod adapter in the room. The Euroes are LOUD.

FOOD: I picked this resort b/c it had OPTIONS. If you are a picky eater and are looking for an all-inclusive STAY HERE. I've heard nightmare stories of people who got bored with food at all-inclusive. This resort has 10-14 options for meals. You can not go wrong here. Breakfast buffet had many options right off the bat.. If the meat scares you, or you hate the large fruit display and you're not into croissants & breads (only 20 different ones to choose from!) than you can always go to the trusty omelet station. Made to order and always reliably good. Fresh squeezed OJ and other fruit drinks were delightful. One day I found a dead mosquito on my bread plate and lost my appetite for the morning. However, you have to expect that will happen with every window and door wide open in a building and all of that food out so I don't think the restaurants aren't clean or anything. It happens.
The lunch buffets were hit or miss. we had a day or two where I hated one, and then one day where I loved one. Twice we skipped lunch b/c breakfast was so filling. Stay away from the hamburgers and hotdogs -- God knows what is in them and my husband who will east ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING said they tasted weird. Also, the tomatoes are a greenish color and looked not ripe, but that is how they grow there. I ate a lot of rice (kind of stale) and cucumber salads.
Dinner - We only ate at a la carte's b/c buffets are not my thing. First night we did the seafood place, and it was okay. After eating at the other places though, I wouldn't go back to that one. The next night we ate at the Italian. Again, salad buffet was sketch, but the main course and pastas were good. the chicken parm is awesome. Not what you expect like in America -- cheese was cooked into it ,not gooey. it was good. Third night we did Brazilian -- loved it. MOST FRIENDLY waitresses (mostly girls) at this place. Stay away from red meat -- the chicken and turkey were awesome. So was the guy who came to the table with the drink cart. Fourth night we did the Japanese Steak house...AMAZING!!! Make sure you sit at a station where the food is cooked in front of you or you will get scary Japanese food. At the "show" stations you get fresh fried rice, chicken, steak, shrimp and it is EXCELLENT. What a fun, fun time. WE loved that so much we went back the second night. Sorry to say we never hit the Mexican place b/c we only had 5 nights and LOVED the Japanese so much. Get there at 6:30 or be prepared to go on a wait. We went to Italian at 7:15 and waited until about 9:30 to get sat. It sucked. Our schedule was eat early, have after-dinner drink at bar and go to bed. We never had the energy for the shows (start at 10pm in the theater) b/c we enjoyed being up on the beach. We hit the casino for slots and that was a fun time. Didn't win though.

SERVICE: Everyone that worked at the hotel was sooo nice. We did have a couple complaints -- no one explained the towel cards to us, but we brought our own beach towels and heard rumors they were out so it didn't matter. however, we didn't know we were given 2 cards at checkin to exchange for towels. They were tucked behind a stack of papers, packets, maps etc they gave us. So, regardless...check-in was easy and everyone friendly. Second tiny complaint -- on the third day our room didn't get cleaned until 5pm. We came up from the beach and wanted to shower, but had no clean towels. That sucked. My husband left $5 on the nightstand, so when they finally cleaned the room THEY FORGOT TOWELS! so, we had no new towels that day and the one's from the day before had never dried b/c it's hot even though we hung them up.

STAFF: We had our personal favorites -- Jose at the Sports Bar. Speaks very little English, but is the nicest person in the place. Couldn't help but tip him. Don't expect a lot of sports at the sports bar. The TV's are small and only have soccer on. We got them to put the masters on, but it was too fuzzy to see the ball. Oh well..not essential to our happiness on this trip (I work in a sports bar so whatever) The vendors on the beach weren't terrible. Reading, listening to Ipod was enough to keep them away, or saying "no thanks" before they got there worked. My husband is large built man, so maybe they were scared of him. LOL but they didn't hassle us too much. We took pictures with the monkey and birds brought around by the resort photographer. It's $10 to buy them in the lobby, but worth it b/c they were beautful shots even with a monkey on my head. :)

We got massages at the spa on property. Let me say, The Spa is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean and refreshing and relaxing. LOVED IT. The best place for my husband and I to unwind after a day on the beach. Don't book your massages from the states through your agent b/c the 50 minute swiss massage were only $59 at the resort, versus the $100 to book at the time I booked the trip.. So glad I didn't do it ahead of time. I wasn't into the beach massage b/c I can't relax with topless smoking europeans everywhere.

Oh, and if you aren't already aware many of the Europeans are topless, despite this resport being on a NO TOPLESS BEACH. Regardless, boobs didn't bother me and my husband stopped giggling after 1 day. Trust me, not all of them are pleasant so I think he was over it too LOL. Pools were awesome too by the way. And the Grounds were LOVELY. WE loved walking them. Every day and night we took a different route and it never got old.

The sports rec center looked awesome. Soccer, tennis etc. Never got to it though. Definitely loved these 3 resorts side-by-side. Great concept. Great place. Great food. totally relaxing. Do the parasailing. And enjoy the sunshine.

8  Thank billswife1025
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Will make this as short as possible...Grounds and rooms were awsome, very clean and the grounds are just kept so nice its a pleasure to walk through this resort. Service was very good, drinks were brought out fast(rember this is the Dominican Republic) more relaxed so sit back and enjoy, also service in all buffets and al acartes was great.Entertainment was also very good , we found the carnival with juggling, fire breathing to be the best by far.Beaches, what can you say , very nice and sand so soft and the vendors are not as bad as i thought they would be a simple no works ,actually had one give my daughter a free necklace , she was not feeling well that day and he was kind enough to do that and not ask us to buy anything enough said.Would recomend this resort highly it was a blast and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank micky055
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We thought you'd appreciate a review of the Grand Palladium Bavaro written by a pair of unseasoned, unbiased travelers. On our return trip home to Michigan, we thought about what we'd like to "put out there" so that other travelers might know what to expect when visiting this all-inclusive complex. There's nothing in our review that should discourage you from booking the GPB but, hopefully. a bit of information that you'll find helpful. When we deboarded in Punta Cana Airport, we were photographed with Dominican dancers and then hustled through a line where we were each required to pay a $10 "airport usage fee". It's a good thing we had cash, and you'd be wise to plan for this occurrence - we had no idea there was a fee upon entry. All of the vacation package specialists' booths were easy to locate (psst...the airport is very small). We had a short wait before beginning the 35 minute mini-bus trip to the resort. Check-in at the GPB went very quickly and smoothly (15 minutes). The property is large and the walkways are confusing to newcomers - if you stick to the covered walks, you'll have better luck finding your condo later that night when you've enjoyed the pleasures of the bar. The Grand Palladium Bavaro is actually the first of 3 side-by-side-by-side resorts along Bavaro beach. You move from one property to the next without really knowing it! Each of the three has at least one pool and several restaurants, including at least one giant buffet restaurant. Most of the pools have swim-up bars. The drinks are distinctly weak in alcohol and sweet. It takes a real effort and about 5000 calories to feel any effect. You'll have one choice of beers - El Presidente, a pretty non-presidential beer if I'm to be asked. The food in the sit-down-and-order-from-wait staff restaurants is very likable - nicely cooked and presented and served by professional staff. The food in the buffet restaurants is suspect, and I'm a guy who selects his food like a goat. "Something" gave each of us a 24 hour bout with "the plague that attacks the bowel". But, with a little Immodium AD and a certain sense of adventure, we ventured back to give the giant buffet hall a second chance with no further ill effects. I suspect the salad, my wife is suspicious of the lunch meats. Being a teacher, it's helpful for me to communicate in terms of grades (before grade weighting - let's say the 1960's). I'd have to give the buffet restaurants a C+ and the Ala Carte restaurants an A-. The soft serve ice cream, available at several buffets, is dynamite! The tropical fruits (esp. the pineapple) are wonderful. Let's go to the beach! The beaches are everything they're raved up to be - clean, alluring, gorgeous. I cannot imagine a more picturesque beach (presuming the absence of the topless elderly European women). There are beach bars located along the length of the beach, so you won't have to stumble any farther than 100' or so to get a fresh drink. People compete (translate - "fight") for beach lounge chairs. You'll have to rise with the mockingbirds and sleep walk to the beach early in the morning to lay your towel out and lay claim to your chair. Don't get too attached to it though - we experienced lounge chair theft. The beaches (and swimming pools) are the hawking grounds for an almost unlimited number of vendors desiring to sell you rides, excursions, experiences, cigars, sea shells, jewelry, hats....we couldn't find 5 minutes of private time without having to wave off a salesman. Walk down the beach - it's just as bad. Avoiding eye contact doesn't work - these are salesmen who are not to be denied! Claim to be the only person on the planet to speak a certain language - they'll still come after you. Nobody warned us about this intrusion, but we're warning you. The venders are not rude, but they are persistent in a "won't take NO for an answer" sort of way. We selected Bavaro Beach because we were told we could snorkel "right off the beach". Well, nobody ventures out beyond the roped-in swim area because it'd be suicidal! Boats winding in and out of each other provide part of the day's entertainment from the beach, but you wouldn't want to be swimming out there unless you had it in mind to visit the local health care facility (located right on the property!). We booked a $30 per person (for one hour of snorkeling) excursion to the local reef where the coral are dead but there are plenty of fish to view (because the guides feed them with bread from the buffet restaurants). No matter what snorkeling tour you book, you'll end up on the same reef about 15 minutes south of the Grand Palladium Bavaro, so book the cheap one! Our room was nice and clean, and the clean staff showed up everyday and did a very nice job (be sure to tip them!), but we never knew what time to expect them - one day they cleaned the room after 5 o'clock! Our TV never worked (we missed the UNC-MSU game, dang it!) in spite of our friendly inquiries to the maintenance staff. In our room and at certain sites on the grounds there was the "backed up sewer odor" Whew, baby! We got rid of it quickly by opening the patio door to a fresh breeze and some lovely scenery. The staff at the GPB was very friendly and helpful (except for maintenance - they were just friendly). We were definitely in the minority - Americans and Canadians constituted only about 10% (just a guess, not a fact to be taken literally) of the persons visiting the resort. Most of the travelers were Spanish and German, and we also noted that there were many French and Italian guests. We enjoyed listening to their beautiful languages and trying to figure out what they found so funny when they looked at us. It's a small world after all!!!! Well, it seems as though I have reached the limits of your patience and should wrap this review up. In spite of the minor criticisms that dominated the bulk of this treatise, we had a terrific 6-night vacation. I feel that the resort has enough positives (the beauty of the grounds, the cleanliness of the entire property, the effort made by the staff, the gorgeous beaches and clean pools, the relaxing atmosphere) to outweigh the criticisms I've cited. We both feel that the resort deserves our "4 out of 5" rating, and that to achieve the perfect 5/5 would have required an improvement in the buffet restaurants and a reduction in the number of salesperson assaults we were forced to tolerate. Oh yeah, and I'd like to see them ramp up the drinks...a lot.

12  Thank GRYC

3  Thank GRYC
Reviewed 13 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at this resort from March 28-April 4, 2009 with another couple and had a fabulous time! The beach is truly amazing - one of nicest I have ever seen. The food was plentiful with lots of variety and selection. The rooms were lovely and were cleaned daily and rechecked every evening to replenish towels and be tidied. The staff were wonerful. We communicated easily with most of them. Almost everyone speaks spanish and atleast some french. English is definitely spoken less but we certainly had no issues with language. All in all, the trip was amazing and we would definitely return to this resort and Punta Cana! For everyone who has an upcoming trip to this resort, be assured that you will not be disappointed. I wish we were back there now and we have only been home for a little more than a week!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple