“snorkeling strip”
Review of Happy Dive Center

Happy Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving is fun and safe! More over, it is easily included in the vacation planning.You do not have any experience, would like to try diving? Then, you are in the right place!!! We are located in the Dominican Republic. We have a 100% safety record.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I went on a snorkeling trip to the Caribbean side of the island. The reef we snorkeled in was nice and then they took us a to a natural pool. I don;t know why they called it a natural pool. It was pretty much just a giant sand bar. Either way I had a fun trip.

There are newer reviews for Happy Dive Center

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Went on two dive days with Happy in June. It was fantastic! Debbie was our chauffeur from Bavaro over to the Caribbean side and gave us tons of great info in the car about the island, what life is like for the locals, different places we might think about going, etc. It was the best service I've ever gotten from a dive operator.

The dives themselves were great, too, though the water here isn't as clear as say, Hawaii (at least it wasn't while we were there). Dove a shipwreck and a very rich spot on the reef one day, then a couple of days later took a boat trip to Catalina Island for beautiful dives at The Wall and The Aquarium.

BTW, I am a relatively new diver and both the Happy divemasters were very patient and understanding with me. I never felt like I was slowing them down or holding things up.

I never met Harry but feel like I know him from listening to Debbie talk about him so much. These are great folks and they take their clients' satisfaction and safety very seriously. A great outfit.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I traveled to Punta Cana for our yearly vacation. We have been to many places in the Caribbean and I have been diving before. So this time I decided to get a full certification. I tried to go through the resort first and they were going to charge an outrageous amount for the same certification. So I decided to use Trip Advisor and find a local diving shop to complete my certification. Harry and Debbie at Happy Dive ended up being 36% lower than the resort in price and I received much better treatment. Harry and Debbie were great people and really took care of me and understood my needs.
Here is how my experience unfolded. I had a total of 3 days of training and diving with around 4-6 hours per day. I was fortunate that I was the only one being certified so I received all of the attention from the Instructor; however, Harry and Debbie will work with small groups or families. I was very fortunate to do 5 total dives not including training in the natural pool. I think I received extra dives because one of the days we dove with another couple that did “Discover Scuba Diving.” My experience was great.
Here is how it would have been different if I used the resort. Through the resort the same certification would have been 3 days long with 2-3 hours per day and only 2 dives outside of the resort pool. When I did certification that was only good in Jamaica, we trained in the pool with a total of 10 people. This was challenging as one instructor could not get to all questions right away. We then did one 30 min dive to about 6 meters and that was all.
So I highly recommend Harry and Debbie to everyone that is thinking to try scuba diving for the first time and/or looking to get a full NAUI or PADI certification.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We saw reviews of the Happy Diver Center and decided to organise a snorkelling trip with our kids out of our hotel "cocoon". We had a great afternoon, and had the boat to ourselves (which is a big plus). The crew were great fun and very experienced, equipment was all in good shape, safety wasn't overlooked, and the food/ drink was simple but great. For the kids it was a great introduction to snorkelling and reef life, even if the reefs off Bavaro beach are not as lively as they once were.

Debbie and the team did a great job organising to get round our hotel's unwillingness to get off campus (beware - all inclusive resorts will do pretty much anything to get you to use their tied suppliers rather than independents), and it was well worth taking the time and effort.

1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been wanting to have my wife certified as an open water diver for years. We met Harry and Debbie (the owners of Happy Dive Center) and they took my wife under their wings. They were fantastic. She had private lessons with very patient instructors. They preach safety first and my wife completed her course work in four low stress days. The guys in the shop were very helpful; they carried all the gear and the dive sites were excellent. I want to emphasize how generous Harry and Debbie were with their time. They took the necessary time with my wife to help her understand the course material. They even took us around town and showed us the best places for bargains. What a great personal touch to a fantastic trip.

P.S. Punta Cana is beautiful and the water is clear and warm. I highly recommend Happy Dive Center.

2  Thank Robert F