“Poorly organized”

Rancho Macao
Ranked #24 of 62 Outdoor Activities in Bavaro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines with VIP style! Although we call this excursion VIP Buggies, you'll be driving what seems to be more like an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle), fully equipped with true 4WD. These bad boys are unlike any buggy you've ever seen! And can handle the Dominican off road with ease and with speed. From our ranch in Macao, we go roaring through the remote farmland of northern Punta Cana, passing palm trees and tobacco plantations with the Oriental Mountain Range deep in the background. The narrow, secluded country roads offer a safe haven for deep pools of mud that we'll go barging through again and again. At first, you may try and avoid the mud, but soon you'll give into the filth. Our first stop is at a quaint country ranch for an introduction on local produce like cocoa, coffee, tobacco and Mamajuana (a Dominican aphrodisiac elixir). From the ranch, we go off-road again as we make our way to a hidden cave with a natural swimming pool. Jump in and cool off in this clean and refreshing underground water source. The longest stretch of our drive is also the largest contrast. From the hidden countryside cave, we retrace our muddy path, and then some, to the shores of the photogenic Macao Beach. Here, we'll have time to enjoy one of the most breathtaking seaside views in Punta Cana. These spacious VIP Buggies comes equipped with plenty of storage for personal items and, more importantly, a stocked cooler! You'll be treated to plenty of water, soft drinks, chips and nuts. Enhance your off-road experience in Punta Cana with our VIP Buggies!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Durham, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poorly organized”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Rescheduled twice after planning my whole day around this excursion and was left waiting. I can't comment about the excursion itself because I didn't get the chance to do it, but I recommend others to be cautious when making a reservation since they might leave you waiting.

1 Thank AA5675

• Polish first
Paris, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Tons of Fun, Wished it would have lasted longer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I booked the half day trip. We wished we would had picked the longer trip because the tour felt very rushed. The buggies were super fun. We paid a little extra and opted for the Polaris and not the dune buggies and were SO glad we did. The dune buggies kept dying on a lot of the people driving them and looked like a super uncomfortable ride. Also, with the Polaris you are under shade and this was welcomed on a very hot July day. They take you back dirt roads, make a couple shopping stops, stop at cave you can swim in (very crowded), and then they stop at the most beautiful beach I have ever witnessed in my life, Macao Beach. My only complaints were the tour stops were too quick and if you don't speak Spanish it is difficult to know what is going on all the time. Overall, great excursion but do the full day tour if you can.

Evansville, Indiana
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun muddy trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

They didn't come to pick us up on time and when we called they said we were scheduled for the day before, but we had our receipt with the correct date indicated. They then came to the hotel to pick us up within 10 mins. Once we got to the ranch they tried to get us to upgrade to the razors even though we had booked the dune buggies. We declined and they upgraded us free anyway because they had overbooked. Either would have been fine but I think the dune buggies would have been even muddier since they sit so much lower. Wear old clothes and shoes you don't mind getting muddy and take along a bandanna or you will have to buy one there for $5 each. It had rained the night before so the roads were really muddy, not sure how they would be without the rain. The stop at the ocean is nice to rinse off but take along extra cash for local vendors. They will approach you but are not aggressive if you are not interested. The stop at the local home is interesting and again take along cash for local goods...I bought coffee. The cave pool stop was very short...just a quick jump in the water with a picture but is long enough to rinse off some of the mud....again...local vendors. Overall the trip was fun and I would recommend it, but wish I had read the reviews in advance so I would have been better prepared. Note the transfers and tours are with big groups so you will spend some time picking up and dropping off people and waiting around...that's how it is on the island.

1 Thank holylandtrip
Norman, Oklahoma
“ATV Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Overall we had a lot of fun! We booked this an hour before it was supposed to pick up from our hotel and they were able to accommodate our group of 5. We did they upgraded ATV which sits up higher and has a covered roof. I recommend these as we saw many of the tinier one broken down during the tour and sitting up higher kept a little more of the dust off your face. On that note I recommend going on a day it rains or has rained because it was very dusty on our tour. They do sell bandanas however that doesn't keep it out of your eyes, hair and just about everywhere else. The ride to the tour took around 45 min and took us through town and we were able to see a little more of Punta Cana. The three stops were fun and gave us time to buy anything we like from the vendors. Wish we could've stayed at the beach longer because it was beautiful. Great time overall!

Visited June 2014
“Lots of Fun!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We were approached by a vendor at the resort who offered us a 4 hour buggy excursion with 3 stops. $45 per person if riding on the same buggy($70 alone). We were picked up first at 730am since our resort was the furthest from the atraction. This made the excursion a 6hr adventure for us. When we finally got to the spot, we were divided into two sections; Spanish and English speaking. They mentioned the instructions and where we would stop at quickly and then we were on our way. (No instructions on how to drive the buggy).

1st Stop - Traditional Dominican House --We drove about 5 minutes through dirt roads and we ended up in a house. This stop showed us all how coffee, chocolate, and mamajuana(a home made dominican drink). We were also allowed to taste them all including cuban cigars. (20 Minutes total time at house)

2nd Stop - Cueva(Cave) -- Drove another 10 minutes to a cave with a fresh water reservoir 25 ft deep. There were also vendors outside so you could purchase drinks or whatever if you brought any money. Everyone could jump in and a picture would be taken for purchase. (20 minutes total at cave)

3rd stop - Macao Beach -- Drove a good 15 minutes to Macao Beach. I had been to 3 different beaches on my trip to DR, but this was my far the most beautiful/Clean/scenic beach I had been to. No rocks on the shore or in the water, no algae...just nice subtle waves that made it very enjoyable. We did not want to leave. (20 Minutes total time.

After that we drove back to HQ and the excursion was over. There we could purchase pictures. If you did not have money, the option was given to pay when you were dropped back at the resort.