Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
Cancelon
BestDay.com
TripAdvisor
18,956 results
All reviewscolonial clubrodeo grillsupreme buffetle gourmetanimation teampunta canaswim up barjapanese restaurantchateaubriandswim up roomsteakmain buffetseafoodwet barmichael jackson showpiano barbeach restaurant
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is our 3rd time at this resort. The resort is very clean but they do need to update the facilities especially on the swim up junior suites. We had a wonderful time and Erbin Villa, the coffee boy was wonderful. We can't say enough on how well we were treated by Jose Antonio Herrera, Idalia Vilorio and Juan Diaz as well as Camarero. All of the people working there are very pleasant and willing to help any way they can. All the buffet food was good as you could usually find something to eat, howerer, the French restaurant food was awful as well as the Steak House and the sea food is nothing like here in the USA. We found that the Japanese restaurant was the best and ate there twice. We did notice that the nuts that used to be served upstairs at the piano bar are no longer as well as the cookies. We feel that there should be some kind of snack food available at the bars, especially at the pools. We have stayed at other resorts that had this feature. Just a pop corn machine, nuts as well as cookies and ice cream. The entertainment needs to be bumped up a notch at night. We were there the first week in March and the weather was beautiful. We found that some of the servers around the bar area didn't understand a simple "coke Light". Came home to snow, snow and more snow. Looking forward to another trip to Punta Cana next year but we may try another resort if this hasn't been updated.

Room Tip: If you like it quiet we suggest that you get a room around the spa area so you don't hear the late night music.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment, we really appreciated it.
We feel very glad that you have such a great time among us in Majestic Colonial.

We thank you for to share your suggestions, they are very helpful. Be sure, we have taken note of all your comments.
We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.

If you are planning to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

My husband and I spent just spent a week at the Majestic. We stayed in the Colonial Club and would highly recommend it. Our butler was Juan Reyes and he was great. Anything we needed we just asked Juan and he delivered. We found almost all of the staff to be friendly, smiling and helpful. They all looked like they enjoyed their jobs.

My disappointment was in the resort itself. As others have stated it is rather "tired". I think it is more of a 3.5 star resort. We found the king bed to be very comfortable and were fortunate to get goose down pillows from the pillow menu. Our room faced the garden and was very quiet. We actually were able to get Wifi in our room! That was a bonus. My complaint would be about the amount of noise passing by the room door at all hours of the night! Seriously, have they ever thought about putting pneumatic tires on the room service carts or the luggage carts? Every time the wheels went over the tiles (every 12 inches or so) you would hear the clunk of the tires. Drunken patrons coming in at all hours were also very annoying. There was not one night that we were not woken up due to the noise in the hall. We were in Punta Cana 2 years ago and stayed at another resort that was more of a bungalow/villa style. Noise was never a problem there. I would definitely think twice before booking any resort that has room/hotel layouts like the Majestic Colonial.

The food was also very disappointing. The buffets had quantity but not quality. Brown or wholewheat breads were nowhere to be found. The omelettes that were cooked in front of us ended up being raw inside! As previously stated we had stayed at another resort and the food was great. We were expecting the same here but were sorely disappointed. We enjoyed the Steakhouse and the Japanese restaurants.

The beach was beautiful but fairly rough. There are better swimming beaches in Punta Cana than at this resort. Snorkelling was not possible due to the currents and there didn't appear to be much marine life to see in front of the resort. The beach vendors are very few and were not bothersome at all! Many weddings at the beach and they were very enjoyable to watch.

Overall I'd say it was an average resort that has above average staff.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an upper floor. Preferably the last 2 digits to be in the 20's or higher to get a quieter room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susan658
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Susan 658:

Thank you to share your experience at the Majestic Colonial .I am also so disappointed regarding that we couldn´t fill your expectation about our hotel. We always try to keep our quality service to give you our best, and we also wait for an honest opinion. In your case, we would like to inform that we respect your opinion about the noise; we are working with our security department to keep all our guests in calm all the time. We take all guests honest feedbacks very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. On behalf of Majestic Colonial staff, thank you for your review.

Ángel Holgado

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed at the Majestic Colonial Jan 15-22, 2013 with 52 others for a wedding. This was our 8th trip to Punta Cana, but first time at the Majestic. We love Punta Cana - the beach, the weather, the food and drinks and the Dominican people are awesome.

We stayed in the Club Section (adults only). We had a separate check-in with welcome drinks and snacks. Our butler showed us around some of the resort then took us to our room. We never saw her again the rest of the week. The couple we travelled with had a butler Franklin and he was great. He left them notes and gifts!

We had a good sized room on the top floor with cathedral ceilings, a large TV, 4 poster king bed with new bedding, 4 bottles of liquor, free safe. I liked the vanity which had double sinks and 4 drawers making it convenient for storage of makeup, toiletries, etc. The shower was awesome – large with a huge shower head as well as a hand shower. The toilet was in a tiny separate room.

The club lounge was very modern with lots of seating – couches and some tables/chairs. The internet station had 6 computers as well as a printer. There was always a nice spread of snacks and drinks available. We had other extras included in the Club that we never used – special section of the beach, room service, pillow menu, Bali beds, alacarte for breakfast & lunch, etc. We only booked “Club” because they were the only rooms left in the package price for the wedding guests. Some of the extras were nice, but not worth the extra $$ for us. The only benefit to us was the internet. We used it every day to connect with friends and family at home. Also there was sunscreen, lotions and oils available at the pool bar which I used a few times.

Just like other resorts we have been to in the DR, we found the staff to be very friendly and fun. Some that stood out were – Penel, Silvestre and Jose (Club pool bar- we spent a rainy afternoon with them on our 2nd day - and stopped to visit them every day after that), Frankin and Maria (beach bar), Irbin Villa(coffee boy). Daniel, the bartender at the upstairs lobby bar.

One of the main things we noticed about this resort compared to others we’ve been to is that the majority of the guests spoke English. There were so many Canadian and Americans.

The drinks were great and there were many bars around the resort all with good service. They even had Clamato juice for Ceasars at beach bar. Check out the drink menu. It’s a great opportunity to try something new!

ALaCartes – Japanese (Ma+Suri) and French (Le Gourmet) required reservations and we found them both to be quite good. The Steakhouse (Rodeo Grill) had great food but we were not impressed with the Mexican/Dominican (Taino).

Beach buffet – (La Hispaniola) Open air with a beautiful view of the ocean. I liked the nachos/salsa/cheese/quacamole, breaded fried chicken, cooked vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower). There was a pasta station, grilling station and Panini/sandwich grill. The desserts/fruit/ice cream was all good. The food was the same every day at lunch.

Main buffet – (Supreme) is quite large, lots of seating and great friendly service. There were several things to choose from. I always found the best thing to do was check out the whole buffet, (don’t forget to look under the metal covers), then decide what to put together to make a meal instead of just randomly taking things that looked good but didn’t necessarily go together. One night there was a cooked ham in the carving station, cheesy scalloped potatoes at the opposite end of the room, and some cooked carrots in another area. It was my best meal. For breakfast there was a cooking station for eggs, omelettes, etc . Many things that other resorts make fresh were made ahead here. For example, fresh fruit juices/smoothies were already poured and sitting in glasses on ice. I love fresh watermelon juice but it was not good here, however the orange juice served by the wait staff was excellent! I missed the crepe station that many other resorts have. Other than Dominican night, I really didn’t notice any “theme” nights at the buffet.There was a Beach party/dinner on Monday night and the main buffet was closed.

One thing that I didn’t like about the resort was the noise. I am surprised I am even saying this because I like lively places and think quiet is boring, but I also like to be able to have conversation with the people I am with without yelling and having to repeat myself constantly. The main buffet was extremely noisy with chatter even when it wasn’t full. The Mexican restaurant was so loud we had to yell to hear each other. We sat at the outside bar at night a couple times but they play the music so loud I had to yell to the bartender just to order a drink, so we didn’t stay long.

A live band played after dinner just outside the main lobby bar and some people danced.

Shows- some we found were very entertaining (Michael Jackson and the magic show). Others we only watched a few minutes then left. The theatre was large with comfortable seating and had wait service.

Personally I did not care for the pool set-up. It looked pretty but it was so narrow and when I used it I felt like I was in someone’s backyard – re: swim up rooms. I don’t think I would ever want a swim-up room because of the lack of privacy.

The wedding was beautiful and they do a wonderful job on the setting – chairs and flowers. We saw several weddings on the beach – sometimes 3 a day.

Casino/sports bar – We went a few times after dinner. I won a bit of money on a slot machine while my hubby lost at Blackjack – so it all evens out. There are a few shops along the lobby by the theatre. Outside vendors were set up there one evening.

It was a 5 minute walk to the shopping area outside the entrance to the resort. Lots to buy, many vendors, can get great deals if you are good at bartering.

Entertainment – there were lots of games during the day which we always enjoy participating in– sometimes so many people signed up that they had to have two sessions. My friend and I each won a bottle of rum playing horseshoes. We were told to go the theatre at 9:45 to claim our prize as they usually call up the daily winners on stage before the shows. We sat through a boring show – nobody got called on stage that night. The next day we got an apology, but never did get our rum.

This really is a beautiful resort with a great staff. I’ll admit that I was expecting to be WOWed since it is more expensive and rated so high on TA. I have stayed at other resorts in Punta Cana with the same star rating for much less money which offer much more and had better food. I had a great time and am glad I had the opportunity to stay at the Majestic Colonial but I’m not sure I would return unless I found an amazing deal.

Room Tip: Top floor is nice because you get the high ceilings.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JustBeachyNovember
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment, we really appreciated it.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Wonderful hotel, great food and staff. Only issue- didn't get the swim up room (the first night) we had booked and paid for 5 months in advance. We were issued a $200 credit that could only be used for wine (at an all inclusive?really?) or a spa treatment. (no product, just treatment). A special thanks to "Joan" (John), as he made everything right as best he could. He was wonderful!! We would return for sure...if "Joan" was still there. :):)

Room Tip: Pay extra for the swim up, definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended especially for Joan.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.
We thank you and hope to be your home in Punta Cana for next visit.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Our stay at the Majestic Colonial was terrific. The resort was absolutely beautiful. The staff and the workers are great. Our butler Jose Luis went above and beyond to make sure all our needs were meant.Our coffee boy Eris Santos met us every morning and serve us coffee and started our day off great.We also had a Romantic Dinner in the Gazado and our server Santo Sarmiento were great. We had more wine and Champagne then we could handle. Also on the Beach Maria We didn't know her last name. She kept the drinks coming and also had a great personality. All and all we had grea time and definitely would go back.

Room Tip: We had all inclusive Suite. Beautiful big room with jacuzzi in the room and also on the patio.Our room number was 3405. Paul & Lucille Willemse
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucille W

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended especially for Jose luis, Eris Santos, Santo Sarmiento and Maria.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.
We thank you and hope to be your home in Punta Cana for next visit.