Ocean Blue & Sand
Priceline
US$268
US$250
  • Breakfast included
Los Corales Beach Village(Bavaro)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$1,014
US$927
Hotelpower.com
13,911 results
All reviewsmike's coffeesuper juanjuan ramonbowling alleyprivilege sectionblack coffeewilly wonkalobby barpunta canaentertainment staffhoneymoon suitetime sharemain buffetother resortsdominican republicdominican restaurantbuffet restaurant
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Note - If you bank at TD Canada Trust - the ATM will not work for you. This was a very frustrating situation for me, as I do not carry much cash, and access the ATM's for funds when I travel. and this resort does not like Canadian money.

The rooms are large, and basically clean. Housekeeping did not clean room until after 3pm. We were there for 7 nights, and the bathtub (jacuzzi) was not cleaned once during that time. The shower door was not cleaned once during our 7 night stay. I would not take a bath - only a quick shower. If the odd silverfish, cockroach, or lizard does not bother you, then these rooms are great.
There are 5 restaurants and a coffee shop. Every restaurant closes at 10:30 am to prepare for lunch. - 10:30 Punta Cana time is 8:30 am Calgary time - and there was nowhere to go for breakfast - So I usually ended up at the coffee shop for a coissant.

I was very disappointed with the food - The Italian restaurant was the best one there.
But if any of these restaurants were in a city or town I was visiting, I would never voluntarily eat at them.

The wait staff are totally untrained and sometimes downright rude. Mostly I did not feel like a welcomed guest.

The only bar worth mentioning is the Lobby bar - the only place to get a decent marguerita. I don't know if the other bartenders just don't know how to make one or what?

The Beach was great! - clean and not overly crowded
Finally something good.

Transat Holidays - our flight was delayed for 2 hours - and when we checked out of the hotel, we were not advised of this, even though Transat notified the hotel desk - So instead of spending the time on the resort by the pool, we got to spend an extra 2 hours at the airport . Hooray for us!

This was my first time at an 'all inclusive' resort and I don't think I will go again - I usually cruise - and have never had a bad cruise.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank BizwizCalgary
Ocean_Staff, guest services at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2009

First off, on behalf of Ocean Blue Sand by H10 we would like to thank you very much for choosing us as your getaway spot.

While reading your review you mention something about the ATM machine, that machine only gives you the currency for the country which is pesos if you brought Canadian money in the reception they change money into pesos for you. As far as the things you mention about some of the restaurant we are taking a close look at that.

When a travel company gives us a delay it’s posted in the front desk for everyone to see, now that travel company set’s up a pick up time for all the guest that are living on that flight, now what people usually do that if they know that their flight is being delay and they being pick up to early. They take a taxi to the airport

Thankyou very much for taking your time to write this review and everything that you mention would be taken into consideration.

OceanBlue&Sand by H10 hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 3 April 2009

My sis in law and I stayed at the Ocean Blue from March 14-21st.

We were looking for some well deserved rest and relaxation and that is just what we got!

The resort is beautiful. We stayed in Privledge Villa # 10. We were in room 10205. It was a corner room so we had 2 balconies and great view of the pool and ocean. Check in was pretty simple. We had to wait about 45 minutes to get our room as we wanted 2 beds. We went to the lobby bar and ordered up drinks and then sat on the patio and enjoyed the scenery and warm weather.

We did not leave the resort the whole trip. We spent most days on the beach and one day by the pool. It was great being in Villa 10 as it was the closest to the beach.

Our room was cleaned every day by around 2 or so. The maids did a great job and any request we had was fulfilled. We tipped them $5 each day and tipped $2-$3 for refilling the fridge.

We ate mainly at the buffet by the beach and the regular buffet. We did have dinner one nite at Margarita's and one nite at El Bucanero. The buffets always had tons of vedgetables and fruits and a variety of different options. We enjoyed our meals at both of the ala carte restaurants. (Bring bug spray if you eat at Bucancero as its right on the beach and those mosquitos like to hang out there at night!) Mike's coffee was absolutely awesome. I am a Starbucks junkie and Mike's was better! Try the frozen caramel mocha's. Wow!

We saw the Lion King show, Grease and Copacabana. They have great dancers. I would say the Grease show was the best. The performers are very hard working. They are there early in the morning until late at night.

We went to the disco a few nights. Its small but we had a great time dancing. Watched Karaoke at the Sports bar one night. That was fun as well. The lobby bar has live music every night with dancing. Great singers.

We had a massage at the spa the first full day we were there. They did a great job - it was very relaxing.

The casino is quite small. We checked it out for about 10 minutes one evening while we were waiting for the disco to open. If you were there the same time we were - you will remember me - I was the one that was walking around with part of her skirt tucked into her underwear. haha!

All in all if you are looking for a place to go to relax, enjoy some great food and people watch - this is definitely the place for you!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed 3 April 2009

My wife and I and our five year old daughter just returned from 11 days at Ocean Blue/Sand. It was a great vacation due in large part to the Mini Club which is run by an incredibly energetic and exuberant (by our reserved Canadian standards) Bella (whom our daughter idolized).

The beach is spectacular, the pools are clean and uncrowded, the main buffet's food is good with some variety and the a la carte restaurant's range from very good to very bad (the American "Route 66"). Negatives were the on resort hawkers at night in the main concourse, the 'reserved' lounges under the umbrella's by the pool which rarely had anyone using them and the resort is not close (walking distance) to any town or plaza for shipping so you have to take a taxi at 'tourist' prices.

All in all good value for money and we would recommend it for other families with young kids.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Lancelot27
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We stayed at the Ocean Sand in Bavaro during March 2009. Still slightly confused by the name of the hotel, it appears to be called 'Ocean Sand' and 'Ocean Blue' and even 'Ocean Blue and Sand' but it would appear to be the same hotel. Anyway whatever its called we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. The food and drink was plentiful and varied. Plenty of loungers by the pools and the beach was sandy and clean.
Every evening there was a show in the theatre which lasted about 45 minutes. The shows varied from musicals such as Grease to circus acts and magic shows. We thought that for hotel entertainment it really was excellent.
We did two excursions. The first was to Saona Island. This was described as a speedboat trip along the coast to the island followed by lunch then a return trip on a catamaran. We forgot to ask how long it took to get to the speedboat after our 6.15 am pick up and due to a problem with further pick ups we spent 4 hours sat on a coach before we got to the speedboats (apparently it usually takes 2 to 3 hours each way). This didn't put us in the best of moods but things improved after that. The speedboat was really an open top boat capable of carrying about 20 people but it did have a large outboard and although fast it was very stable. We stopped part way to the island and had the opportunity to get out into some shallow water for a photo shoot with some starfish. When we got to the island we had an included bbq lunch and plenty of rum and cokes. Then after a few of hours lounging on the beach we set off for a very pleasant trip back on the catamaran with more rum and cokes. The return coach journey took about 2 and a half hours which included a brief stop at a small shopping centre. The excursion lasted about 13 hours and despite the length of the coach journey either way we really did enjoy it and would recommend it.
The second excursion was called Bavaro Splash. This was a half day excursion involving driving a small two seater speedboat and snorkelling. The starting point was a short drive from the hotel and it was very organised with boat handling instruction, safety briefs and life jackets. There were about 20 two-seater speedboats in our group and we had to follow each other along the coast in a convoy led by the guides. The difficulty with this was the guides shot off very fast and everyone was expected to keep up. Christine drove and, considering it was pretty choppy, did a marvellous job keeping up. However with the speed involved, getting bounced around and getting drenched with spray I, in the passenger seat, did not enjoy it at all. We then reached a diving platform where we put on mask, snorkel and flippers. We were put into groups with a guide and jumped in for some snorkelling however this was not some splashing about looking at colourful fishes. Yes there were lots of tropical fish that the guides attracted with food but the water was choppy, the guides led us quite a way from the diving platform and we were in the water for quite a long time. After the snorkelling it was back in the speedboats for another hair-raising trip back. Perhaps I am getting a bit old (approaching 50) but I really did find this excursion a bit too much physically and I do think it is really more suited to the younger holiday maker.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ocean Sand and would recommend it and happily return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CharlesandChristine
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We booked a Privilege room and although the extra features were nice I'm not sure it was worth the extra money. What I enjoyed most about the whole Privilege package was the separate area at the beach because we could always find an available lounge chair. Our room was very big, clean and right next to the beach. We had a view of the pool even though I'd asked for a view of the ocean......

The food could have been better..... I guess we can't complain for the amount of money we paid but I'd rather pay a little more and get better food. We tried several of the restaurants and weren't impressed. The Bodegon was terrible.... The Mexican was better. Maybe we just picked the wrong restaurants......We found that the buffet was a safer bet.

We went bowling several times and had fun. The quality of the drinks were very good and not watered down. The nightly entertainment was performed by the hotel staff and they did the best they could......

My teens didn't think that the hotel had enough entertainment geared towards their age group, as compared to other resorts they have been to. There were really no hotel planned activities for teens during the day or night (maybe they just couldn't find them?)

We did the ATV excursion (Rancho Dominicano) that was fun and gave us an opportunity to see a little bit of the Dominican Republic. Golfing was good as well, but the golf course close to the hotel wasn't in very good condition. We went to other nearby golf courses.

All in all I'm not sure we'd go back to this hotel because of the food. Everything else though was top rate!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family