The Lombok Lodge
  • Pool
Segar Villages(Gili Air)
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
All reviewschef jiwacourse dinnerour honeymoongili islandsgili airbedroom suitedaily shuttlehermes toiletriesboutique hotelheaven on earthprivate boatfrangipani flowerscandlelight dinnerapple tvmoment you arrivespa treatmentscold towels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 November 2013

As reported already by so many reviewers, this is an excellent boutique hotel with everything you could ever expect from such a hotel ... and more as was illustrated when my daughter who had been diving in Gilli Ayer arrived unexpectedly by sea and at totally the wrong end of the long hotel property. Despite this the hotel still managed to officially greet her with a lei and gently advise that the hotel did have a main entrance!!

It was this flexibility with no compromise by everyone in the team that impressed us the most and made our stay so enjoyable.

The hotel can arrange scuba diving but when we chose to dive with a Gilli Ayer company the shuttle service was changed and we were dropped off much earlier.
In addition, when our times didn't suit other guests, another boat was organised and again we were dropped off in time for our dive with a picnic, food for the fish!!, snorkels, towels and also croc shoes so that we didn't hurt ourselves in the tough coral. We were also given a mobile phone in case we need to contact the hotel with all phone numbers already programmed.

As far as the diving is concerned, if you have done any diving in tropical waters, the quality of the coral here is poor and there are few large fish, but there are some sites where you can see some interesting creatures. I'd suggest you check where the dive is going before you commit. However no matter how good the dive was, the best part was returning to the Lombok Lodge and looking forward to the next fantastic dinner.

And finally, unless you particularly enjoy bargaining, I suggest you buy all your souvenirs from the hotel. They are tasteful and not at all expensive.

Room Tip: We had Room #1 "Suta" and it was very quiet and only the occassional gardener to be seen
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MALLINPJ
BenOlaerts, Owner at The Lombok Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear MALLINPJ,

Thank you so very much for your high praises in regards to your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you had such a great time and that you enjoyed the flexible services we offer at THe Lodge. Thank you for your remark regarding our boutique items and souvenirs - much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back for more memorable moments and to welcome you personally.

With kind regards,
Ben Olaerts
E: ben@thelomboklodge.com

Reviewed 28 November 2013

What can I say which you have not read from all the other reviews? Yes, Lombok is blessed-- with lush greenery, clear blue sky (with occasional light drizzle), clear sea water, friendly people and a little place called The Lombok Lodge. It's a little place (only 9 villas!) with a strong team of staff led by Mangsur. From the minute you enter the Lodge to the time you leave, they make sure you are very well taken care of. The feeling is akin to being welcomed into a warm big yet close-knit family. We stayed 4 nights and a few service staff really stood out-- Dony, Erwin and Jumadi. Not forgetting the housekeeping staff, gardening staff and kitchen staff who stay in the background, diligently playing their part (and going the extra mile) to make sure you have a wonderful time in the Lodge. They also have a "in-house" band, formed by members from different departments, to play instruments and sing. And it's great to see that they are not doing it for the sake of entertaining the diners, they are genuinely happy to sing along with their fellow colleagues. Thank you guys, we hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Our suite is by the poolside so we have direct private access to the public pool. However our privacy is not compromised thanks to the rows of plants.
2  Thank mengo97

Dear Mengo97,

I am very pleased to know of how much you enjoyed beautiful island Lombok and your stay with us at The Lodge.
Thank you so much for your support to our Resort Manager Pak Mangsur and his team members!

I am truly happy that you had a wonderful time with us and indeed, I hope that you will be back to stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,

Ben Olaerts
E: ben@thelomboklodge.com

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Frankly boutique hotels have never been my cup of tea. I sort of expected them to be like B&B's. I couldn't have been more wrong.
The Lombok Lodge is by far one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

We arrived at Lombok airport - it's a little restrictive at the moment with only small number of international flights but that will change in the next month. However you can also arrive by boat. The transfer is long (1hour 30mins+) but the driver was excellent (having driven in Bali, it's not an experience I would like to repeat). The welcome was warm and we were checked in early (big plus).

The room was superb. We stayed in the two bedroom villa. This is on top of the main building and has the best views. The decor is suave and sophisticated with a touch of old world charm. Lots of rough finished timber and drift wood. Both bedrooms were exceptionally well appointed with good air-con. Outdoor showers and a free standing bath in the en-suite. Plenty of water provided each day is a big plus. The cleanliness was very good - the room was immaculate, despite my best efforts, being cleaned twice a day!

The lobby has little treats available during the day - nice touch. The spa is truly exceptional. It is by far the best massage I have had anywhere in Asia (and that's a lot!). The pool is beautifully designed with a stunning view and exceptional service (more on this later). There is no beach to speak of but this is irrelevant.

The food. I feel a little bad criticising the breakfast as whilst it was good it wasn't quite to my western tastes. However, the bakery selection, juices and coffee were all perfect. Just some of the hot mains like sausage, bacon and eggs didn't quite hit the mark. The fact you can come to breakfast at any time of the morning (or afternoon!) is a huge plus as I hate feeling I have to drag myself out of bed.

The evening food was to a very high standard. The chef prepares a 5 course meal every evening. All you have to do is choose a wine, sit back and enjoy. I can honestly say after 5 days, there wasn't a single dish I didn't enjoy.

We did the Gili tour which was good. The guide was friendly and the snorkelling was enjoyable. But seeing the accommodation over there made us really appreciate how good we had it!
We also did the waterfall tour - hugely recommended. A private car takes you there then a guide takes you all around. Great pictures, long trek (nothing you can't do in sandals) but so worth it.

Lastly, the service... I could go on for pages about how good it was but others already have. Exceptional. They should be teaching other hotels about how they should be doing it! So polite and friendly. It's always service with a smile. The standard of English is better than mine (native Brit) and nothing is too much to ask.

I have two tiny criticisms which really aren't hugely important but would complete the perfect stay. The internet is quite sporadic (It was just a short 5 day break and I needed to keep in touch with work). I understand it is quite away from civilisation but when it was working it was quite fast, which makes me think it's more a hotel infrastructure issue.
Secondly, the stairway to "Delapan" needs a hand rail - especially after the second bottle of wine!

Thank you for an amazing stay. I'm sure we will be back soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PontiusMP
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Firstly, thankyou to the Tripadvisor community for the many positive reviews of The Lombok Lodge as this is why we chose to stay here. I now have to do the same and share with you our amazing experience. For those of you who do not want to read a long review:
Did we have a wonderful experience....yes
Will we be back.....yes
Would I recommend it.....yes, absolutely and read on if you would like to know why.
The lodge is located around 90 minutes from the airport but do not let that deter you. Our friendly driver was waiting for us in the arrivals hall, a cold towel and bottle of water offered for the journey. On arrival we were met by Mangsur the hotel manager. Whilst checking in I asked him what time breakfast was served and his answer was "whenever you would like it", and this statement was indicative of the customer focus of our entire stay. Every staff member is dedicated to ensure that your experience is at the heart of everything they do.
You will not get a beach or 'balinese style' heavy teak wood decor. The lodge is contemporary and beautifully designed in its minimalism. Lots of white and lime washed floorboards together with the gorgeous manicured gardens of frangipani trees and tropical plants. The photos on the official website is exactly how you will find it. I never once missed not having a beach.
The five course set menu for dinner exceeded our expectations of what I imagined we would be eating at this small spot on the coast of Lombok. After our first dinner we were excited to see what Chef Jiwa would be serving the following evening. His experience in high end dining is clearly evident. Mangsur and his staff knew it was our wedding anniversary and on the evening they placed a table right near the shore with the way lit up by hundreds of small candles and the table covered in petals. It was incredibly romantic to sit in the candle light and hear the waves lapping on the shore. We were about to have dessert when Mangsur and three of his staff members turned up with guitars and sung a few songs. Not only that, but they were clearly musically talented. We were thrilled and were left thinking "is there anything that the staff CAN'T do here".
I could write another three paragraphs of our experiences and little surprises along the way but I will leave you with a summary. I highly recommend The Lombok Lodge for couples especially if you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion. I'm sure the staff would make sure all guests including kids welcome however I think it really is a place for adults. Also with just 9 rooms it would be a great venue to hire the entire place for a wedding or other big event.
My suggestions for improving what is already an outstanding place, a personal preference maybe but bigger bath towels and iced water served and topped up while lazing around the pool.
Thankyou to Mangsur and all his wonderful staff members for ensuring our stay was magical and memorable. We will most definately be back.

Room Tip: There is no fitness centre but the lodge has four mountain bikes if you can tear yourself away from the pool.
3  Thank trekker065
Reviewed 11 November 2013

It’s the “little” things that make this place stand out.
We arrived at Lombok Lodge for 12 days / 13 nights of R&R, after going through a tough few months. We must admit my husband and I had high expectations due to some wonderful stays we enjoyed in resorts in Fiji, and only hoped that the reviews, overviews and photos of the resort matched the actual stay! Well they did and more.
It is obvious once you immerse yourself into the life that is Lombok Lodge, photos & brochures can show a resorts beauty on the outside but can never really capture a places soul. It was the little things that they did that that make this place stand out , from the Management and owners personally introducing themselves and freely engaging with you throughout the stay , the warmth of the staff and their attempt to meet your expectations and beyond.
Some of the little things included:
• Changing the artwork in your room every few days
• The Beautiful turn down of beds at night
• The little Lombok embossing on the turned loo paper.
• The gardener who was discreetly advised by the Day Spa that they were about to massage a client, so he ceased mowing until the client was massaged and had left the spa area.
• The toilets cleaned immediately after every use in the restaurant area.
• The staff remembering our names, where we were from, and how long we were staying.
• Individual candles amongst the sand that had the Lombok Lodge Symbol carved into it, leading to the beach romantic dinner.
• The complimentary smoothie and ice-cream delivered around the pool
• A surprise delivery of Canapés and bubbles to our room one afternoon when staff knew we were having a relaxing afternoon on our day beds.
• My husband organised a Frangipani bath one evening, and to his surprise they also appointed the room with candles and more flowers.
OMG and the food , where do I start , beautiful fresh , intense flavors and Chef Jiwa that ensured that every plate was cooked and served with LOVE !! As we stayed there for 2 weeks, Chef designed our own menu for the 2nd week, which was highly indulgent and a wonderful gesture. And then the beautiful waiters who bought the food at to you – a credit to you Restaurant Manager Hamdy – Dony , Erwin & Hilu, passionate about the food they were serving you. You could see them smile everytime they picked up your plate and it was literally wiped clean.
My only downfall if at all is as previously stated in other reviews the beach is disappointing , but the fact you can take the boat out to Gili island on a daily basis, and even visit a neighboring resort for a beach swim if required certainly makes up for this .
Lombok Lodge you won us over, and the excitement & anticipation we felt before staying, was truly met and beyond! Can’t wait to see you next year – and we look forward to our welcome drink – with Vodka !!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Oceanview Pool Villa and it truely was a beautful room with privacy and views !
1  Thank Kel3782