“The best place to stay in Lombok. Hands down!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oberoi, Lombok

The Oberoi, Lombok
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tanjung
Jakarta, Indonesia
“The best place to stay in Lombok. Hands down!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

A friend told me that oberoi Lombok is the place I would want to go if I go to Lombok, so I thought that I would give it a go from my next trip after Bali. I must say that I was Impressed. The environment was mystical, the food was great, and the friendliness of all of the staff was beyond words. I was surprised that they knew my name, and particularly amused that they could pronounce my last name correctly! I'm not an easy person to impress, but this hotel is far beyond my expectation. When I return to Lombok, I will defiantly know where to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pandu S
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Oberoi, Lombok.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and for your great feedbacks.

We are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests. The appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

The team joins me in thanking you for your patronage and support and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lombok and to The Oberoi in the near future.

Rudy Baihaqi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Having read the great reviews for this hotel and enjoyed an absolutely outstanding stay at the Oberoi Mauritius, we had great expectations for the holiday, which sadly fell short.

Plus points - the hotel grounds are immaculate, the rooms large and very comfortable and one of the most efficient maid services we have ever experienced. The setting is also very peaceful, except light sleepers may be woken by the call to prayer any time from 4.30am onwards.

On the down side, the beach is nothing special, while swimming is almost impossible given the shallow water, rocks and coral. The pool area is very small, with only enough room for eight sun beds (the hotel photos do not reveal that most of the water is ornamental and about six inches deep). Guests can however enjoy sunbeds facing the sea, located on the grassy grounds of the hotel.

While there were some extremely good staff, there were also others whose training and language skills simply didn't meet the standards we would expect having paid for a top-rate five star hotel. The food is good, without being exceptional in any way, while prices offered poor vale for money (in fairness, Oberoi establishments are never cheap). There also seemed to be some inflexibility over what you could order and when - 'it's too early to order this' or 'you can't have that tonight because the kitchen is closed'.

Contrast this with the excellent experience we had at the Lombok Lodge, located next door and only a five minute walk away. We often ate here, enjoying a truly wonderful evening gourmet meal to celebrate Indonesian Independence Day. The food and drink is infinitely better value for money (a beer will set you back $4US, compared to $6 at the Oberoi). Interestingly, many of the Lodge's friendly and professional staff formerly worked at our hotel. They told us that at high season the Oberoi has to take on several temporary workers to cope with guest numbers, which explains a lot.

Don't get us wrong, many people obviously love the Oberoi - and it has a lot of plus points. But we set the bar high and are judging it against top of the range hotels we have stayed around the world (including other hotels in the same chain). Given that it is two flights (fifteen hours) away from the UK, followed by a two-hour car journey, would we go again? Unlikely. There are better places to go for your money.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alasdair F
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Oberoi, Lombok on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was sorry to read that your recent stay at The Oberoi, Lombok did not live up to your expectations. Please let me know on your next stay if this is possible. We update guests’ profiles with their preferences and any information that can contribute towards making future stays even more enjoyable and tailoring the experience to the individual’s needs.

As another way of ensuring all our guests’ preferences are anticipated, we offer our guest preference form as part of our reservations process. This gives the option of requesting anything you think might help enhance your experience, from a larger room, over favorite drinks and breakfast preferences, to pillow preferences that are used to retiring in the night.

I was also concerned to learn that you found some of the staff lacking in knowledge. We do receive so many positive comments on our staff and service that it is disappointing to hear that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

May I please assure you that I have shared your feedback not only at the Head of Department level, but also with the team members so that we can all collectively learn from this.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting areas where improvement may be found.

Yours sincerely,

NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Oberoi in Lombok is a pretty hotel with pretty rooms in a lovely location. However I was disappointed in the beach, which one does not sit on because all of the loungers are on the grass and you overlook the beach. I think the hotel could be much better because the basics are all there. The rooms are very nice, large and nicely arranged but the management were clearly missing.

They had a beach barbecue with live music one night or you could choose to eat in the restaurant. We did not want the beach barbeque so had very slow service - not the staffs fault as there were not enough of them and we left iwth a terrible headache as we had two sets of music going on - local music for the restaurant and a live band for the barbeque. They were very near each other and my husband and I could not wait to leave as we had a headache and could not hear each other from the TWO sets of music which were both so loud that you could not hear one but both. Horrible. We complained to the staff and they said they would 'tell' the manager. Many other issues with management too long ot explain but felt the full time staff were stuggling with NO direction from a manager. I think they need someone professional to be present and to run this hotel. Could be fixed so easily - just some attention to detail and someone in charge. We never saw a manager ONCE in our three days!!!!

Room Tip: As far as possible from the local mosque as the noise was quite disruptive to sleep
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EPMNyc
Dear Guest,

The reason we put the loungers on the grass is to enable our guests to enjoy the sun much longer, without disturbing by moving the loungers every 3 hours due to high tide when the water reaches our beach.

Please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during dinner when we had two themes dinner. I have no excuses to offer but certainly believe that we have failed to provide you the service expected of us and not been able to fulfill the promised experience on this occasion.

The management team and I shall ensure that you have a memorable stay with us.

I look forward to the pleasure of meeting you personally during your next stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel is definitely one to visit. It is so private and peaceful with a beautiful pool. The only downside was that I had higher expectations on the food however all in all it was still good. Go stay at this hotel if you want total relaxation with a private beach and excellent service and attention to detail.

1 Thank Harriet M
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Lombok.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

4 nights in an ocean view pool villa. very spacious, beautiful bathroom ,plus generous pool, and choice of 3 outside sitting areas, so shade always available.Room serviced twice a day to a high standard.Extremely comfortable large bed.The food was good, but not amazing, we always felt the "special" menus were being pushed.Good choices at breakfast.
Would be nice if there were more chairs or benches placed further along the property ,some lovely breezy raised quieter areas with great ocean views , but nowhere to sit and enjoy them. The beach is not great for swimming, a lot of grass ,and shallow a long way out. Gardens are very well maintained.
We enjoyed our stay here, the staff were attentive and helpful, though communication was occasionally a problem. Not perhaps up to the Oberoi standard we have experienced in India, but overall a very nice resort. And probably the best option in Lombok.

Dear Guest,

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us during your recent visit to Lombok.
Thank you for sparing your time for updating your experience on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you are praising our spacious ocean pool villa and our genuinely attentive and helpful staff.
Your kind words of appreciation for the service team will go a long way in encouraging them to achieve higher standards of service excellence.

Hence being experienced few other Oberoi resorts in India we regret that that our product and service has not lived up to your expectation in some areas, particularly of the communication/ soft skill of our staff and the food quality, in which we have taken your details feedback for further follow to improve our standard. However through constructive feedback of this nature we are able to isolate the finer details of our guest expectation in order to focus on constantly striving to deliver a flawless experience to our guests.

In addition, we appreciated your concern on our beach condition and inputs on the additional long chairs/benches which we are currently discussing on the possibility to them follow up for better experience.

Lastly, on behalf of the entire team, we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back Lombok to restore your faith to our resort and its team and create more positive experience on your next visit.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Spent eight nights at the Oberoi. Got upgraded to an ocean view villa, which was lovely.

The good:
- Very nice room, spacious and well serviced. Free drinking water, large safe, lovely courtyard and balcony (good for the sunsets), choice of pillows, anti-mosquito device, fresh fruit, free wifi.
- The dinner special events - made a nice change from the a la carte menu.
- Entertainment - varied from traditional Indonesian to modern music.
- The beach club - organised reliable (if a tad expensive) speed boat transfers to the Gilis
- The fishing - caught a blue marlin - fantastic experience, great crew. And a tiny portion of the fish was cooked beautifully for our lunch. The rest went to a local village.
- The pool - nice set up, not enormous but never too busy
- The Indian visiting chef - stunning Indian special dinner - too bad he has now left.

The OK:
- The Spa - a bit tired, not the "zen" zone experienced in other spas.

Lovely place, but not sure we would want to be there out of season (August was very busy and buzzing).

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and sharing your great feed backs.

It is our pleasure to hear that you had an amazing Oberoi experience on your eight nights stay with us.
That our services and facilities offered by The Oberoi, Lombok was to your entire satisfaction.

In addition, we value your comment on the Spa that we have shared your comment to the team for an action plan has been placed to improve the overall ambience. Hence we hope we could enhance your spa experience on your next visit.

On behalf of the entire team, we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will be as enjoyable as the last.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

After a tour in Java and Bali, the perfect place to rest in an heavenly environment. Quietness. ideal location. Superb rooms. Villas not necessary. Great breakfasts. Tasty tea times. Top beach service. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DemandingL
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and sharing your Oberoi Experience.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we could be of assistance to make your stay comfortable after a Java and Bali tour and that services and facilities offered by The Oberoi, Lombok were to your entire satisfaction.

Your kind words of appreciation for the beach service will go a long way in encouraging them to achieve higher standards of service excellence.

On behalf of the entire team, we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and create more positive experience on your next visit.

Rudy Baihaqi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung
The Lombok Lodge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,138 reviews
Hotel Tugu Lombok
Hotel Tugu Lombok
#3 of 171 in Lombok

Been to The Oberoi, Lombok? Share your experiences!