Queen Wilhelmina Lodge
US$56
Ozark Inn(Mena)
Palace Motel(De Queen)
  • Pool
All reviewsstate parkmini golfhearth roomtrain ridebreakfast buffetlarge windowsoff the menuscenic drivenorth sidehiking trailssouth facing roomgreat place to gopetit jeanthe staff was friendly and helpfulall you can eatnice lobbyrestaurant downstairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here one night after journeying the scenic talimena highway from Mena, AR up Highway 88. There were a lot of Vista View points to pull over and just look at the valleys and mountains portraying their fall foliage colors. The trip alone would be worth it if you ended up staying in a tent, but Arkansas State Parks & Tourism has kept this historic lodge going which gives you the modern conveniences of a room and restaurant. The restaurant has a beautiful view with plenty of windows. They had the fire going in the lounge area the night we stayed and we sat by the fire some. There are hiking trails for those who like to hike. There is a miniature train ride with train tracks that go completely around the lodge property along with miniature golf. These are seasonal and were closed (open for the warm months). I would actually like to ride this train if it is operational next spring. I think we will go back for this. I am a big kid at heart. At the bottom of the mountain (12 miles or so driving) is the town of Mena, AR with all of the old buildings, restaurants, and shops. So plan on visiting that area also.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David S
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This lodge as it is called is really very nice. Our room window someone had pulled the bottom out of track, and the park had screwed the windows down with screws previously (do not know when) and then someone with a phillips screwdriver unscrewed them out: the wind is known for blowing on the south with gusts of 35 o 50 mph and our room was a south facing room, so I was able to push the window back into its track after notifying the front desk, had to place a hand towel on the top of the lower case window (these are are really nice double hung hard plastic window frames) but I also noticed a bar in the top track keeping the window from being opened, so we heard wind whistleing all night as well as what seems like the roof buckleing up and down all night.. Now for the AC/Heater unit: this is an older unit that stays on all the time, but only till it either gets warm enough our cool enough, and then it will shut off for a while, the controller U do not want to move up or down too much or it may never cycle off. My wife could not sleep with it running all night. We heard two guests complaining with the same problem. When I ask the front staff it sounds like they hear this complaint day after day ya they do. I was told that the lodge will close in 2012 for some remodeling. I suggest that every one of U that reads this write to the Arkansas Parks and ask for evaluation of the AC/Heat units at this lodge and get some retrofit to make the system more user friendly, that is so the customer can turn the system off if thats what they want. My mattress seem to have a brokendown side too. We were in a Twin Queen type room. The other mattress was not rated as we choose to sleep together away from the window and the constant air from the AC/Heater. This is really a nice park for families for the summer.

Room Tip: Although the wind does not blow every day perhaps when it blows from the south take a north facing room and converse if the wind is blowing from the north take a south facing room. Heavy wind noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jojogo2
Reviewed 26 October 2011

The drive to "The Queen" was beautiful! We were camping in Petit Jean (highly recommended) when a cold front forced us to find warmer accomodations. We were lucky to get a room here, as it was fully booked by a hiking club and a few other guests. The nice person checking us in told us that the lodge was shutting down in December for a full remodel, and it needs it. Located on a beautiful mountaintop, the lodge and rooms do not take full advantage of the gorgeous views. Built in the 60's or 70's, the windows in each room are small and narrow, and it is obvious that the structure was built during a time when the outdoor views were not as important. We ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast, and it was OK. Unfortunately, there was a buffet both times and I am not a big fan. We ordered off the menu for dinner and it was standard cafe' fare. People were really nice, which we found everywhere in Arkansas, and the upgrade to this lodge will make it a great place to go. It is a very pretty area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LlanoSher
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This lodge, in the state park of the same name, is far from town on a ridge top with great views. We enjoyed a 1.2-mile hike around the Lover’s Leap loop trail. Rocky and steep in places, it is best done in boots. Several easier walking trails are also on the property. The rooms are much newer than the building. Ours was a bit smaller than a standard motel room, but was adequate. The bed was comfortable and the A/C was very quiet, coming from a chilled-water radiator in a ceiling vent controlled by a thermostat on the wall. The room was superficially clean, but could stand a thorough cleaning under the sink and in the corners, along with some attention to a slow-draining tub. The restaurant serves good comfort food, well prepared but nothing special. Prices for rooms and meals were reasonable, less than we expected. Wi-Fi performance was good, considering the location: strong and 0.8Mbps.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JollyMan8
Reviewed 19 August 2011

First of all, I have no complaints about my recent stay at Queen Wilehemina Lodge. The staff was warm, friendly, and helpful. The hotel itself was clean and comfortable. It is just in need of a serious remodeling. As part of the Arkansas State Park system, I'm sure it's fallen under the budget axe more often than not in the past several years. However, the state has a jewel of a retreat on its hand, and it would behoove it to give it a serious facelift so that it would attract more travelers, and thus, make more income.

The mountain views are very tranquil, and the countryside is beautiful. I just hope the State of Arkansas does not neglect the lodge much longer. I guess I do have one complaint...the wireless internet was terrible.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business