“The Best Adventure Vacation Ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Futaleufu
Futaleufu River Bio Bio Expeditions Camp
Fair Oaks, California
“The Best Adventure Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This was the Best adventure vacation my husband and I have ever taken. Exploring Patagonia with Bio Bio was amazing from the huge white water to horseback riding, yoga and a bunch of delightful num yum yummies. The location and weather were second to none, it's like they orchestrated with Mother Nature herself to give all of us participants the time of our lives. My husband has been rafting all over the world and he thinks the guides at Bio Bio are top notch, putting safety first while leading the rafts with ease down class 4 & 5 rapids. Did I mention the food? Don't think you will lose weight on this trip with all the great food that is to die for. I am still hoping for a cook book from Chef Cookie.

The views from the yoga platform (well, the views from everywhere) are breathtaking. Bio Bio has created a wonderful retreat away from life. I really reconnected with myself and nature on my vacation. Damara and Shari, the yoga teachers on our trip, are heartwarming, honest and beautiful inside and out. Their presence is a delightful awakening of the soul. It has been hard to practice yoga without the wondrous views and sounds of Patagonia around me. If you have the opportunity to take a trip with Bio Bio, don't hesitate. Get your passport updated and mail the check. It will be a life changing adventure where you will meet numerous worldly people who will become dear friends. Thank you Bio Bio for the welcoming hospitality. We hope to travel with you again soon.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candace23w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Truckee, California
Reviewed 19 January 2013

My 1 week at the BioBio camp on the Futaleufu was really fantastic. I would highly recommend this trip for those looking for adventure (thrilling Class 4 & 5 rapids), the opportunity to make wonderful new friends and explore this amazing area of Patagonia. This is one very beautiful place and BioBio offered the opportunity to explore and enjoy it in several very fun ways. All of the personnel at BioBio really went above and beyond to assure that all the guests were well cared for and having a great time. I appreciated how extremely safety conscious they always were on the river. That made the rafting fun and exciting but not terrifying as it could have been to a novice rafter like me. I hope to join them on another trip soon!

Room Tip: The accommodations are very rustic - tent cabins - because it is a camp. I found the beds comfortab...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We spent a long time reviewing various options for exploring Patagonia. We were planning a big trip with our 3 kids, ages 15, 18 and 21. Bio Bio was terrific to deal with from the first phone call to the last good-bye. They managed all the details of getting our family to the Futaleufu from Canada, and everything went as planned.
The week on the river was beyond our expectations. The guides were phenomenal, the food was outstanding and the location was incomparable. It felt very much like a big, happy family. All the people working there seemed truly happy to be there, which translates into a perfect environment for the guests. It was wonderful just getting to know these interesting, worldly, welcoming individuals!
Yoga every morning was fantastic, the river was endless fun and excitement and drinks and conversation in the hot tub every evening completed the day perfectly.
Did I mention the food? We were thrilled with the food, every last, delicious morsel.
Despite the fact that it rained a lot, everyone remained happy and positive. It was definitely the most fun I've ever had on Christmas Day!
I can't wait to find another Bio Bio adventure to join!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Salem
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I've been an adventuring type my entire 66 years, having grown up alongside a river. The Fu is surely to be the pinnacle for me. The river staff truly was the best of professionals, knowing how to handle every situation and ensure safety for everyone at all times. If you love whitewater, this is the trip for you. You will not believe the high skill level of the staff. They are world-class performers. If you love the majesty of nature at its best, this Chilean camp is for you. The setting is spectacular. If you love good food, this is the camp for you. The camp staff was superb and each meal was a very thoughtful creation. The food was authentic, and it was excellent. Everyone in our group loved this adventure.

If I die tomorrow I am greatful I will be able to say, "I did the Fu".

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have run a camp on the Ganga river for some 20 years and have been in numerous camps in various parts of the world. I would have to say - this is one that pretty well leaves them all behind.
The location: spectacular. The aesthetics: superb. The services: brilliant. From magic in the kitchen to a sybaritic hot tub where some hunky guide with unmatched hospitality will get you a perfect drink!! I forget to mention that it is a marvellous white water river, but this is a multi activity destination which adds to the already wonderful charisma. I loved this spot and the whole experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 April 2012

What can I say... the two of us had an absolutely excellent time. The food was delicious, the adventures and activities were priceless. Cold drinks and camp fire music by Kipchoge was a perfect way to bring in the night. Extremely comfortable beds and the soothing sound of the Fu drifting on are some of the memories I miss. The only problem I had with this place was leaving, it's been tough to re-adjust to the norm. Thank you all! If you like to fly fish - I highly recommend fishing by the camp, it's inbetween two very large rapids and is a hidden treasure for big fish

Room Tip: Cherry Creek is where to stay
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thomas l
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Our December 2011 trip to the Futaleufú River in Patagonia was spectacular! Adjectives fail me as the trip was so superlative in every way that it felt almost magical. We have been fortunate to have travelled extensively, including have made numerous trips to South America, an area we cherish and admire. However, without question, this was our best vacation ever, and we would immediately return to the Futaleufú with Bío Bío Expeditions any time, any season.
This trip was the trip of a life-time, and Bío Bío filled our memory banks for years to come. We were the outliers among the clients, my husband and I were the oldest and our 18-year old son was the youngest, and we were each made to feel extraordinarily welcome and capable and integrated at all times.
Bio Bio’s river guiding staff, and the camp staff, were absolutely superb: fluent in both Spanish and English, extremely experienced, constantly attuned to safety and training, deeply knowledgeable about the area, the river, the country, and beyond all that warm and humorous and kind and helpful. We were very struck by the way that all the guides were particularly sensitive to each client's skill level and age group and that in a very natural, non-overt way they were able to entice our 18-year old to do things suited to his age quite successfully, while we were encouraged to do other things better suited to our capabilities. This was on-going and seamless. We were able to hold in-depth conversations with all these people about their lives in Chile and their years working and living on different rivers and countries, and we learned so much! Just speaking to them was a high-light of the trip.
We will never forget the unfailing courtesies - guides carrying gear for us, Stan bringing espresso to our tent every morning, Jorge making sure that Huayna was being sweet-tempered with all the guests, Sarita gently rousting up her massage customers for their world-class massage care following long days on the river, Terry patiently overseeing our bookkeeping needs and adding confidence to our rafting efforts, Rio's exceptionally kind way of dealing with the local children as they became accustomed to kayaks and duckies, and his patience in getting my son and me started on kayaks, and Santiago's absolutely gentlemanly support of my efforts in the double ducky with so many words of encouragement and laughter and guidance. He never let me be surprised by anything - every command was given in advance, every move was explained, and once when I fell out after promptly leaning hard left after he told me to lean hard right, he called out calm instructions until I was back in the boat, paddle in hand.
Diego was not a raft or kayak guide for us, but he was an unfailingly kind camp-mate always ready to talk, to explain, to serve, to help, and to laugh. Matt was an excellent companion to us and he deeply enlarged our understanding of the area by describing his connections to Chile and his wife's history in Argentina and the US. His stories and information made us think long and hard about Chile's history under the military dictatorship, and Argentina’s similar fate during the 1970’s, and we were very moved by Matt's stories. He also was a comforting source on the river as he kayaked along side us and continued giving smiles and encouragement while running safety for the group

Stan was our primary tent captain and guide as he not only captained our raft every day, but he also worked two days with my husband on fly-fishing - the zen of casting! His expertise in all things river, including safety, apparel, paddling techniques and ways to read the river was tremendous. He just exuded confidence, but also caution - a perfect balance. He was a great organizer and planner, and he provided detailed briefings each evening and morning to enable the entire camp to be underway, prepared and able. He always conveyed optimism even when training us to deal with frightening eventualities, and I would say he taught us a very healthy respect for the power of the river, yet offered enough tools to enable us to have the confidence to give it our best shot. My husband really enjoyed working with him on the fly-fishing, and said that Stan had provided wonderful information about river life, guiding life, Patagonia, and all things Futaleufú!
I cannot even imagine a stronger, more professional, kinder guiding staff, and the rapport they have with one another is very special. Bío Bío has assembled an A+ river cast and community!

Another delight for us in this trip was the group of clients. Most had lots of river experience including being river guides in other countries, but a few were novices like ourselves. It was really thrilling to meet people from Switzerland, Russia, France, Korea, England, and all over the US. What a wonderful opportunity to meet friendly, outgoing, and unique individuals who had amazing life and river stories to share!! Of our expedition group of 17 clients, we learned that 14 of them were newlyweds: seven newly minted couples inaugurating their lives together in the Earthly paradise - Patagonia’s version of the Honeymoon Hotel!
One part of this trip that I would really like to laud is the effort and staff support that Bío Bío puts into client safety. Not only did Bío Bío provide a flotilla of "rescue" personnel in kayaks and catarafts who preceded and followed us along the river every step of the way, it had exceptionally qualified guides steering the rafts and calling instructions continuously. At several junctures we saw Bío Bío people strategically waiting along the shore in kayaks as we passed by. And beyond the "on the river" support, the guides scouted every rapid and every contingency along the entire length of the river day after day. What a professional operation! It was really a joy to behold. We also appreciated the time you devoted to training and to practicing manoeuvers, and the way each day carefully built upon the prior one in terms of the increasing level of difficulty of the rapids and the (presumably) increasing teamwork among the rafting groups day after day. We moved through Class III riffles, to the famous rapids Más o Menos, Casa de Piedra, Terminator and Inferno Canyon (and the Throne Room for the kayakers). Your organization is a paragon of planning and execution!!

A separate joy for us in this trip was camp: simply being in camp at one of the most spectacular and glorious places on Planet Earth. The tranquility emanating from the flowing river, the serenity from the azure and sapphire rivers, the freedom of fresh air and pristine Andean views, and the fun of hot tubs beside the river and a well-stocked bar and the pagoda with musical instruments and chess, even hot showers in this very remote location! What a dream. It just did not seem real!! Too good to be true!! We love to eat, and the food was magnificent. Plentiful, delicious, local, fresh seasonings and produce from the garden, home-made pasta, fresh fish, enormous salads. There was plentiful food for every taste, and meals were relaxing and fun. We all had private tents on platforms right over the river. What we did not know until the last night was that while we immediately fell asleep each night in our tents lulled by the rush of the river and our very full bellies, the guides were furiously putting together a video of each days events with captions, music, and live inteviews. Unbelievable – do these people ever sleep?!

So, what can I say? This trip not only met our expectations it vastly exceeded them in every regard. We had fun, we learned, we met wonderful people, we found a geographic paradise on Earth, we rested, we were thrilled on the river (non-stop adrenaline rush!) and happy. Who could ask for more?! We will certainly plan to be back, perhaps with you in another country, and we will continue recommending you to everyone for exceptional, professional adventure travel. And one final point for Trip Advisor readers, go to the Bío Bío Expeditions web-site, and call up the “detailed itinerary” for this multi-sport trip and read it. What you see, and what you read, is what you get: the trip of a life-time! Becky, Julian, and Pedro

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family