“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of H2O Patagonia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Futaleufu
H2O Patagonia
Media, Pennsylvania
“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I can’t say enough positive things about H2O Patagonia. Truly a top-notch vacation in every way. First, the activities. Each day was jam packed with enough activities that there was never any chance to get bored. I actually volunteered myself for some down time, but others continued on. The rafting was so much fun, as was the horseback riding and kayaking and the views from the hiking were second to none. This area of the world is truly amazing. The ranch itself really leaves nothing to be desired. Sleeping was very comfortable, a bit cold at night, but they provide a lovely hot water bottle which keeps you snug. The sound of the river while you are sleeping is so wonderful. The food was absolutely delicious. I was never hungry and the offerings were all over the map – certainly enough variety and volume to make anyone happy. Even outside of camp, lunches were delicious and filling. They do a great job of making everyone feel welcome and pampered, as much as you would like to feel that way. The guides were excellent – very knowledgeable but also a lot of fun. Safety was obviously paramount but it never got in the way of a good time. I highly recommend both Patagonia and H2O Patagonia for an adventure of a lifetime. Truly exceeded all of my expectations!

Stayed March 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We just returned from a great adventure in paradise. The website photos simply do not reflect the true beauty of Futaleufu, Chile. H2O is a special place- the best of nature and adventure travel. The guides were warm, friendly and truly lovely people who catered to our activity preferences. The options for activities were plentiful and provided a multi- sport experience that allowed us to be as active as we wished on any given day. The Rio Futaleufu is the most beautiful river that we have ever experienced and the rafting and kayaking where just two of many highlights of the trip. The mountains provided world class views of the river and the hikes were fantastic. Guests and guides shared great food, great wine and much laughter at the end of each day. I doubt that I will ever get closer to heaven.A special thank you to Kyle, Hernan,and Brian for making our week amazing, My advice if you are considering making a trip to Patagonia:Gather the people you love, pack a bag and go H2O. Enjoy.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jsburg
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This review is long overdue. We travelled to Argentina and Chile last year for our honeymoon and the highlight of our 3 week vacation was by far our week on the fuda with H20.

1) The location is magical. I kinda feel like now is the time to visit before it either becomes over run with tourism, or taken out by big hydro-dev.

2) The crew: I cannot over-state how good the team is. Skill...check, professionalism....check, but above all, we didn't feel like clients but rather fellow adventures. Don't get me wrong, the service was top notch... just seemed like I was on a amazing adventures with some high level pros showing us the ropes. Genuinely good people.

3) Accommodations: I thought the whole tent thing was great...plus I slept like a baby with the sound of the river. It did get cold for a few days, but we felt nice and warm inside.

4) Food: Yes, yes the food was amazing, but that wasn't my favourite part. The meals were just huge events. The chef would introduce and present the meal, we would drink, talk about whatever, overall some of the best parts of the trip for me was the social aspect surrounding the meals after a great day of adventure.

I echo some of the other reviews....as long as Brian Russell is running things you are in great hands and you will have a great adventure. I do recommend you have a few days elsewhere before joining the trip and take the time to slow down and visit other parts of patagonia afterwards.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I had the opportunity to spend a week here and I already miss it dearly. The level of activity was great, the guides; Hernan, Kyle, Momo and Brian were amazing, the food was fabulous, the accommodations were cozy and the wine plentiful.

The entire program, executed by Brian Russell, felt like it was custom fit for our group. Each day introduced a new adventure, and it was empowering to return back to our camp like a bunch of champs having "conquered" the day's activity. I recognize that I am not on the same level as the qualified guides (at all), but their enthusiasm when I did something "cool" made me feel like I was as hard-core as they are.

The days were long and time seems to move slower on the Futa. It is safe to say Rancho Antucumay introduced me to a new part of my soul on this journey, and I have a better understanding of who am am because of it. Totally worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Naytravels
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

H2OPat is an adventure vacation with what I would call "glamping-plus" accommodations. It's exceedingly well run by Brian Russell, who also acts as a guide on hikes and rafting. He started the week by reciting a spanish proverb, "the baby who doesn't cry gets no milk" and encourages guests to ask for whatever they want. The staff is very flexible aobut everything and while this isn't like a 5 star hotel where they sit around anticipating your needs, they do genuinely want you to be happy and will go the extra mile to accommodate all requests. Also, the groups tend to be small (our week had 8 people total and that was a busy week for them), which is really nice. They don't overpromise or oversell.

Lodging: Lodging is in tent-like rooms on elevated platforms along the river. Our week was VERY cold and some people had a hard time. The beds are comfy and have huge down comforters, good pillows, etc. A maid comes every day. There are no lights (just battery lamps) and no bathrooms in the room. I really liked the tents and loved being right on the river.

Bathrooms: A short walk away by the main lodge are mens and womens bathrooms with lots of private showers, sinks, etc. One guest in our group slept in the bathroom house (it's quite large) due to the cold (it's heated with a wood stove). There are also more toilets in the main lodge.

Main Lodge: When not rafting or hiking or doing other activities, you hang out in the lodge, a 1500-sq foot yurt-like building with high ceilings and a huge fireplace. There a couches, chairs, tables, etc. Meals are eaten at a long table. Great views, very ski-lodge type atmosphere. There's a hot tub outside which is awesome but wood-fired so the temperature can be too hot or too cold and takes some moderating. It was usually just right.

Meals: Breakfast is continental with weak, lukewarm (bad) coffee and hot tea. Granola, yogurt, cheese, ham, pancakes, etc. Lunches are ususally taken out on the river, or on a hike, etc. Lunches are "weak" and very field-trip like. One day we had cold penne noodles with some kind of salad dressing on it, nothing else. The kitchen brings out appetizers constantly if there are people in the lodge. Great cheese, hummus, bread, empanadas, etc. Wine, drinks, water, etc. Ask and they will bring it. Dinners are huge, multi-course meals, all pretty good. The cook is good. Steaks were WAY, WAY overcooked which surprised me given this is beef country. But overall the food is good and you won't go hungry.

Yoga: They hire a yoga teacher to start every day at 8am. I'm the only one who was experienced at yoga and personally I didn't think he knew what he was doing, and every class was exactly the same. I think inexperienced guests might like it more but it does get boring. It's a nice touch to offer it.

Massage: You get one free 40 minute massage and if you want more you can pay high-end US spa prices. It was pretty good but the pricing for additional massages is way off Chilean exchange rates.

Activities: They offer several things a day, rafting, kayaking, horseback, canyoning, ziplines, etc. Ask and Brian will try to accommdate. The guides are very good and they are very very concenred with safety. The best guides in the world come to the Futa, so the quality is generally good in the region but H20 under Brian hires very good people. Brian is the most conserative of the guides on the river, but you will have a good time.

Overall if you are willing to travel all this way I highly recommend H2O at least as long as Brian R is the manager. I think the manager of a place like this has a big impact on guest comfort and satisfaction and he is very good. In comparison to some of the other big outfitters, the lodge here is the best and none of the others (from what I understand) have the luxury-ish approach to meals, etc. The fireplace and lodge are unique for the area as well. Given the amount of activities, this is a hell of a deal for the money. Also, for singles - there was a single woman on our trip and she had a great time...this place lends itself to singles well.

Room Tip: there are 2 tents right on the river. ALl of them are basically the same but the 2 right on the riv...