Hotel de Castro
US$75
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsnewer partin summarythree nightsplace to staysuitearchitecture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel. The rates for the double room lured us in, however on inspection they were small and while clean, they felt somewhat dingy and not value for money - USD86. The shower was tiny! We chose to view the suite rooms in the new wing which at 133USD (including breakfast) was a jump, to our surprise so too was the standard. The double room was huge with a nice sofa and coffee table area looking out over the bay. Do ask for the 3rd or 4th floor to get the best view. The communal parts of the hotel are average - lounge/dining room/pool area.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We spend three nights in this hotel in late October. We, very wisely, chose to pay the supplement in order to have a room in the new wing. We don't know about the old section, but our room ( the hotel calls it a matrimonial suite) is very large and beautifully furnished, and the cream of it was the spectacular view, all the fiord and the peninsula right from the bed.
The hotel in general is nice, with a feeling of a Swiss chalet, all made of logs. the restaurant also have the view. We had dinner the first night and it was really good.
The breakfast was as average, like in all the other hotels we have been in Chile.

Our only but important complain is about the shower. Something is wrong with the plumbing because during all our stay the hot water came dirty, with an brownish color.of corrosion. We had our daily shower with cold water, very clean but, in Chiloe in October the weather isn't very warm.

Room Tip: It's worth to pay the price for a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Nice place, good location. I stayed with my wife and two daughters (2 year and 3 months) over a long weekend. The room was fine, with a nice view. The heating system was disappointing, very unstable, on and off in a weird pattern. Service was very nice, friendly people with good will. The problem was that the hotel lacked of personnel, breakfast time was disastrous! 2 girls serving more than 40 people at a time in a buffet style, no way they could do it!
There was a major issue that I considered "a very wrong decision " by the administration: they installed an ashtray in the hall, separating outside with the main entrance, so people would gather to smoke right on the main way in/out, also, smoke made it's way in trough the main lobby, unacceptable ...

Overall I liked the place, the prices were very good ad the food was nice, if they solve the "smoking issue " (easily) I would recommend the place.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank birutilla
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Be careful when you book in this hotel and make sure you are set up in the new area. I cannot stress how important this is. I stayed for 3 weeks straight on a business trip in the old part of the hotel and the rooms where smaller than my college dorm room. The shower was ridiculously small and the shampoo and soap we were given was bad. The new rooms are very nice but availability I very limited.
The staff was extremely friendly and the food at their bar was ok. I stayed up at the bar because I did not like the service in the actual restaurant. Breakfast was however terrible, typical south American food which is ham, cheese and bread along with juice, yogurt and cereal; but the quality of the food was not good.
I did hear everywhere that this is the best hotel in town so I really would not like to imagine how any of the others are. If you visit Castro wait until the end of the year when the new hotel is open by the newly built casino.

Room Tip: Be sure to request the NEW part of the hotel where the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Camilo S
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for one night in December 2011. The hotel is located within walking distance of the town's main square, where most of the bars and restaurants are.

The free parking for guests is much appreciated (although it was very crowded and it took me quite some manoeuvering to get out of my spot again in the morning).

The rooms are quite spacious, and very clean - nothing to complain about here. Staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple