“diving nevis” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“diving nevis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife, 2 adult children, and I spent a week at Oualie Beach Resort on Nevis for a week of diving with Scuba Safari (on site at the resort). The resort was great, small houses along the beach with great scenery and snorkeling. The food was superb, especially the evening meals, and service was very good. People were friendly. The dive operation was excellent, very good boats, helpful staff, and a variety of dive sites. Having the dive operator on site was very convenient and they were very careful loading and unloading our gear. We can recommend the resort and the dive operator.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Denton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife & I stayed there during the slow season, & Oualie Beach was a great base of operations for visiting Nevis.

First, the hotel itself. The room & location were all we could ask for. The room was clean, with a nice bed, & just steps from the beach. Lydia kept it spotless, & she was nice to talk with. The location is beautiful, with views across the water to St. Kitts. Especially in the morning, we sat on the porch & admired the view. The island is small enough that you can drive anywhere on it fairly quickly, so Oualie Beach is convenient to everywhere.

The more important factor was the people. They were outstanding. Stacy contacted us a few weeks beforehand asking if she could make any arrangements. She was patient & friendly with my many questions, & she made things much easier for us by making arrangements for car (including both Nevis & St. Kitts), water taxi, & rain forest tour before we arrived. Once we arrived, she greeted us & treated us like old friends. I told her that she is one of the greatest things about the hotel, & she is. We also enjoyed visiting with Pat at the front desk. She is outgoing & a wealth of information about the New River Estate area. In fact, I recommend talking with her before visiting it, as she adds so much information about what is there. Of course, we just enjoyed visiting with her generally. Faith, the general manager, is a bit more quiet, but also friendly. She is also keen on service. When we left our laptop at the front desk because it was too big for the room safe, she sent Vernon to our room the next morning to install a bigger room safe.

We also must mention Tim at the restaurant. By day he is a mild-mannered postal worker. By evening, he is an awesome server at the restaurant. After one night he remembers names & food preferences. The dinner food prices are average for hotels in the area, but we returned for dinners because of Tim.

Just a couple hints. First, visit with the staff. They are helpful, friendly, & know many things about the island that written guides won't tell you. Second, driving on Nevis is easy, even on the left side. There are some bad potholes on one stretch of the road to Charlestown, & remember the swale just below the entrance to the hotel. Finally, we cut our food budget by eating our main meal of the day at lunch (on days Tim was not working dinner), & buying lighter fare at the Ram's Supermarket below Charlestown & keeping it in the refrigerator for supper & breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Walter P
Rocklin, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed 3 days @ Oualie Beach before moving to St. Kitts Marriott for 7 days. Being the off season was great, we had the beach all to ourselves. Location is really good, you can take water taxi to St. Kitts, book a dive trip or fishing right at the resort. All the rooms are right on the beach, the rooms themselves are very nice & clean, and a great value this time of the year. The staff was super friendly, and helpful. We ate at the restaraunt once, it was good. Also, took an island tour, had dinner @ sunshines & a killer bee. First time on Nevis and the wife and i really liked it. it Was the most laid back island we have visited thus far.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoeSchmoe
Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

It's hard to complain about a week vacation on a beautiful beach but.....
The resort has a great location on a wonderful beach. Our room was "OK", not one with the beautiful four poster beds or flat screen TVs that are pictured, but clean and air conditioned. I was with a large dive group
(as a non diver) and it's low season so you would think the staff would be glad we were there, or at least act like they were glad, but that's not the impression I got. The housekeepers were generally pleasant and there was one waiter (a postman during the day) and one bartender who were very friendly, but most of the other staff seemed to think we were a bother. We would sit at the bar and restaurant and be ignored by the staff as they were talking amongst themselves. This happened multiple times and we would often have to get up and get our own water, menus, etc. In my guestroom, the TV remote (yes, I sometimes watch TV while on vacation) didn't work so I took it to the office and asked if they had a new battery. They said they would take care of it. Two days later I went back and the lady pulled it from under the counter and said they couldn't find a battery yet. Two more days passed and I went back and asked for the remote so I could try to work on it myself. She couldn't find it and told me to go back to my room and she would send maintenance...and this wasn't said pleasantly. I went back to my room, as told, and was there two hours before I called the office and she said she would check to see what happened with maintenance and call me back. Needless to say, no response or call back. When I checked out, I told them there was not a remote in the room and I hoped I wouldn't be charged for it.
(I wasn't) Since I didn't dive, I can't say much about that operation except the overall discussion I heard was so so.
I explored the Island on my own and with the group on a guided tour and found the people elsewhere to be very nice. At the end of our trip, the person who organized it commented "Once and done".

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Janjan3108
Livingston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just spent the most relaxing week ever at Oualie Beach resort on Nevis. Anything we needed help with was provided. Transportation to and from airport, recommendations on places to eat, even contact with the local dive shop. Off season pace is absolutely wonderful, beach is sandy and long. Great place for families with small children. The entire staff ( with special notes to Stacy and Faith) absolutely top notch. As a seasoned Trip Advisor publisher, I only wish I had 10 stars. Note that some of their units do contain kitchenettes in case you like to cook your own food. Thank you guys, we will be back and we will send friends!!!!

the Plunkett family

Room Tip: Eat at Golden Rock, take a trip with Leroy or Tin Tin, Dive with Ellis and his crew at Scuba Nevis...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jeff p
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Good
The location is gorgeous and the food is good although more expensive than other places on the island. The cottages are nice and comfortable.

The Bad
Water pressure is very low and hot water is intermittent. It is solar heated but don't know when the last time was they cleaned the panels.
Diving is very nice with a good variety of sites; however, the inexperienced crew, at times children, uncertified and/or lacking appropriate water time, was an accident waiting to happen. The "dive master " was more interested in getting through each dive quickly and kicking back in the boat before everyone else. Not attentive to client requests or needs to which the inevitable answer was "it's ok" or "don't know". Be sure to make sure no crew touches your gear. They turned off my air right before I dove in!

The Ugly - a poem

-I woke up in Nevis
After traveling miles
Looking forward to fun and a good many smiles.
-To the restaurant I ventured to reach for the coffee and was instantly greeted with a scowl so haughty
- "Not time for coffee. Go away. breakfast at 7. You no stay"
- I thought at first this couldn't be true but unfortunately realized that's what they do.
-No good morning nor smile no how do you do just surly faces and shoo shoo shoo
-May I have some water please and perhaps a fork oh my lord she's gonna uncork
-So there I sat amongst the glares unhappy workers who really don't care
-It is now time to go
Vacation is through but the workers now say well how do you do
Just a little too little a lot too late
But have no fears
Didn't take the bait
-I love good service and tip very well having worked in hospitality it can be Hell.
- but that's the job I had to provide me for life so i smiled and greeted without any upstrife.
P.S. The shining star in all this mess was Tim in the bar who I must confess
Greeted all with a smile and offered his hand and the service he provided was quite grand
Tips for good service
• greet people with a friendly smile preferably one that's not truly vile
• if 20 people want coffee at 6:00am go the extra mile and give it to them
• when asked for something whether it be food or a spoon, bring it sometime before next June

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank pistolera132004
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Before booking this place I went to tripadvisor to look at the reviews. Some of the negative reviews were really scary. But given the place had a lot of good reviews I went ahead and booked a seven night stay for me and my girlfriend.

The place was everything I was hoping it would be. It has a gorgeous beach with a breathtaking sunset almost every day. Very peaceful. There are less than 10 people on the beach at any one time (we traveled in May which is off season so this might not be the case during the peak winter seasons). The room we stayed in (Dolphin Cove) was right by the beach and the restaurant. It had a wire mesh enclosed patio with direct view of the ocean. The room was clean and very comfortable. The staff cleaned the room every day promptly and thoroughly.

The restaurant was very good. They try to change the menu every day (specially for dinner). We didn't eat one bad/poor meal the whole time we were there. The staff is real nice and friendly. The owner John was also very pleasant.

Granted people have different experiences, I still think some of the negative reviews on this place were too harsh and/or unreasonable.

I would recommend this place to a friend and would definitely go back again. One last general comment is, I found things to be on the expensive side at the resort and the island generally. But I guess you get what you pay for. If you it was cheap then it would be too touristy and too busy.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottley's Plantation Inn
#1 of 6 in Basseterre
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Been to Oualie Beach Resort? Share your experiences!