“A Relaxing Escape” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oualie Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Oualie Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in New Castle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“A Relaxing Escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Oualie Beach this past Christmas and had an amazing time. We enjoyed eating Christmas dinner at the restaurant, laying on the beach and listening to the tropical sounds of the island from our balcony at night. A family run hotel, Oualie is a nice escape from city living and has a calm, intimate feel. We also appreciated the fact that the hotel helped us to arrange offsite activities, such as climbing Mount Nevis. Overall, I strongly recommend it for a holiday!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
John-Yearwood, Owner at Oualie Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank for your kind review and for traveling to Oualie all the way from San Francisco. We have noticed an increasing flow of visitors from the West coast wanting a change from Hawaii and Mexico. I do hope that Oualie will now be in your annual plans!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Walled Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I've been to Nevis 3 times now and each time I have stayed at Oualie Beach and I wish I was there right now ( 8 inches of snow here and growing)
My cottage was just steps from the ocean, every night I fell asleep to the sound of the waves and the palms swaying in the breeze....and of course the tree frogs!
When my wife arrived for the 2nd week of my trip I asked for flowers for the room and ...the staff came through!
John, one of the owners, has become a good friend and I've met a bunch of great musicians from all over the world. There is music at Oualie Beach every Tuesday night and often on Friday or Saturday as well.
This last trip I saw so many hummingbirds - everyday - and lots of crab, monkeys, cattle, goats, sheep.
Did I mention it is a taste of paradise? You step in to the ocean and look towards St. Kitts. A beautiful sunset every night...not to be missed.
You turn around and see Mt Nevis behind you. Lots to explore.
One night a bunch of turtles hatched right near the dock at Oualie and made their way to the ocean. We led a few strays to the beach with flashlights.
The people are kind. The staff very helpful. The rooms are clean and the bar is a real slice of life. I have met so many interesting people there.
Can't wait for my next trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michael T
I am delighted that you enjoyed Oualie beach. Thanks for helping with the hatching of the turtles on 22 Dec. That was indeed a wonderful experience, as was seeing the female hawksbill lay her eggs in front of the restaurant 61 days earlier during my rock and roll set on Tuesday night. See you again soon.
Great Bend, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our vacation at Oualie Beach was one of the best we ever had. The room was nice, well cared for and clean. Everyone at reception, room cleaning, grounds maintenance and the restaurant and bar was helpful and friendly and the service was as good as I have experienced anywhere and better than many places I have been. This resort is very laid back, quiet and relaxing. Uncrowded. No "touristy" feel. Just a chance to spend a week living in paradise and getting to know some of the locals a little bit. All cottages are just steps from the water front with a great view of the sun setting in the Caribbean each night. The water taxi to St Kitts leaves from and returns from the pier right at the resort. A short ride over to Reggae Beach where a taxi will take you into Basseterre or on a tour of St Kitts. Other activities -- snorkeling, scuba, bike rentals, etc.-- are available on or just adjacent to the property. Food was always excellent. TC, the daytime taxi driver based at Oualie took excellent care of us, getting us where we wanted to go, providing helpful information and interesting stories and historical tidbits. "Tin tin" drove us around at night and took good care of us as well. We enjoyed talking to all of the people we met on Nevis and had definitely intend to return as soon as possible. And Oualie Beach will be our choice of a place to stay. Thanks again to everyone there for a great time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Allen G
We are so pleased that you enjoyed Oualie. Don't forget to book again soon as we work on a yield management system . That means the further in advance that you book the better chance you will get an amazing discount, as the room rate on our website rises as occupancy goes up.
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We loved Oualie Beach Resort. Everyone was friendly & super nice. Very accomadating. Restaurant & Bar was nice. Monkey on the grounds was fun to watch and catch in action! Beautiful locale right on the beach with fantastic views. Loved our little cottage-we were only their 2 nights but had a great time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EPdogmom
Thanks for your review. You are absolutely right about our friendly staff. They truly help make Oualie an incredible genuine Caribbean experience. Come visit again soon!
Altrincham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I had already had two weeks` vacation (St Kitts and Nevis) in very different hotels, from average to up-market Plantation Inns and this, for me, was absolutely great and, in fact, better than any of the others (but in a completely different way).
My husband was not very well when we arrived and one of the owners, John, was amazing, asking every day and then using "bush medicine" which he made himself to cure him.
The food was great and more authentic Caribbean than we had found prior. The totally laid back atmosphere was perfect (could have done with a few more lights on the way back to the room at night). If you like 60`s Greek island style you will love this place. Even the rain was a pleasure!!! We are already making plans to go back.
The only thing I would add is that you can travel around the island looking for better food/atmosphere and really you would be pushed to find better than Oualie for value, quality, quantity and atmosphere.

3 Thank Liz190739
Orchard Lake, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

My third visit and definitely not the last; my wife and I had a wonderful time during our two week stay -- rain not withstanding.

As noted in earlier reviews, if your preference leans toward marble floors and Architectural Digest® featured interior design, you'll find properties on Nevis that'll be a more suitable fit. For the true warmth of Nevis; pristine beachfront living and consistently clean and very comfortable accommodations, don't miss Oualie Beach Resort.

The beachfront is un-excelled anywhere on the island -- and where else can you borrow a cell phone, paying only for minutes? Oualie's WiFi's about as good as it gets in Nevis period and given the couple of rain storms, for the first time we took advantage of the 'seemingly hundreds of channels' cable TV a bit.

Most importantly, the people of Oualie Beach make this one of the most comfortable, enjoyable vacation experiences of all. I highly recommend it and have booked yet another visit for February 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarkPBurnett
Abingdon, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife and I spent a fabulous few days at Oualie (split the week with St. kitts). I can't say enough about the warm and friendly staff at the resort--from Stacy and Pat at the front desk to Tim, Michelle and Marci in the restaurant and bar, the other bartenders and cooks and cleaning ladies and owners Allistair and John. My wife had a sudden and scary medical issue on day 2 and Pat and Stacy were all over it, even phoning up the hospital's chief of surgery. Talk about awesome care! The beach is wonderful, plenty of chairs (unlike a lot of higher cost resports) and the calmest waters I've seen in the caribbean (and we've been to 19 islands). Hammocks all around too. We had a fabulous breakfast every morning which set us up for the day ahead. we had lunch once and dinners and the food was very good. At the bar you get to hang out with all the expats and locals and there's impromptu music, dancing etc. As others have said, if you want marble bathrooms and butler service go somewhere else. Oulaie is laid back, fun and friendly--including the regular morning monkeys and ocassional cows wandering on the edge of the property. The only issue we had was a toilet flapper valve that you had to fiddle with when you flushed, but I get that at home too. TC ("tough cookie") is the resident transportation provider and will give you the most entertaining island tour possible. Clayton also is a wonderful driver and took us out to a couple of restaurants. Killer Bee is a bit overblown in our opinion but Sunshine's is a great daytime hang out. Nevis is a really cool destination if you've never been, and Oualie Beach is the place to stay.

2 Thank TedPile
Ottley's Plantation Inn
#1 of 6 in Basseterre
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Been to Oualie Beach Resort? Share your experiences!