“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Although this hotel has a great location, the resort itself leaves a lot to be desired. The rooms are very run-down (peeling paint, no screens on some windows). The staff, with the exception of a very few, are surly and do not seem to enjoy their job. We found this to be a rarity on Nevis, as most people were friendly and very helpful on the island. The beach chairs are in bad need of repair and there are no garbage containers in evidence on the property. Therefore, there are plastic bottles and pop cans lying on the beach. The food at the resort is average, we ate mostly at local restaurants which were great. We got totally turned off eating at Oualie when they chaged me $4.00 US for a re-fill of coffee at breakfast. There is a feeling that the owners really do not care about thier property or their guests. Nevis is a beautiful island to visit, they rely on tourism and everywhere except Oualie we found the people genuinly friendly and helpful.
Go to Nevis but stay somewhere elese!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gingerToronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
ontario, canada
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Just returned from a week stay on Nevis at the Oualie Beach Resort. This resort is very small - I believe there are only 23 units for people to stay in. The beach is nice and the bay is quite calm. Although the week we were there there it was windy each day, but the waves in the bay did not get very big. It was a good place for kids to play and swim.
The room we stayed in was comfortable, nothing outstanding. The part I really liked was the screened in front porch with the beach chairs. This was a great area to get out of the sun for a bit. The restaurant on site was good...but pricey. We ate at a few different restaurants on the island ( we took the local "bus" - just wait at the roadside and tell them where you're going). These other restaurants were also quite good and a bit cheaper than the restaurant at the resort. We also took the bus into town to do some souvenir and grocery shopping (there is a fridge in the room which we used for a stash of junk food, beer and pop).
This resort is definitely for just relaxing. There is not much there to do but read and swim. We did do 4 dives with Scuba safari's..right at the resort. The dives were okay, but the visibility was not great due to the winds that we had during the week that we stayed. We did see some nurse sharks, lobsters and the underwater hot springs.
We found the people working at the resort to be very friendly and helpful.
If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank sjd
Sweden
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Stayed in the hotel in beginning of December after leaving Nisbet.

Its a big difference between those two hotels in Nisbet they likes their guests, this seems not be the case In Oualie.

Their were two persons that were outstanding and very nice to us: the waitress in the restaurant, Tasha James, and the Bellboy/gardener.

In there brochure they say there are a lot of restaurants nearby, we could only find one, but the restaurant on site is good.

All the sun chair need to be renovated and they are also occupied of persons that not are guest in the hotel.

Rooms are nice we had one with two beds I believe those with King bed are even nicer.

The problem with the room was the curtains they were wery thin so when the AC was on they flew away fro the window so people outside could see into the room.

Stig Blomberg
Sweden

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
NC
Reviewed 30 November 2008

We just returned from a wonderful 8 days in St. Kitts/Nevis, spending three days on Nevis at the Oualie Beach Resort. We were traveling with two (well-traveled) children, my husband and me. Oualie was the perfect spot for us to enjoy the quiet bay, see the beautiful views of St. Kitts and explore parts of the island. The staff of Oualie are gracious, kind and helpful. I appreciate that they were attentive to our kids - Tim remembered their names and chatted with them each evening. The setting is delightful - the cottages are attractive and clean (the linens could use a little update, but that's a minor detail). You can't beat the location, just a quick few steps out your door to the palm-lined beach and plentiful lounge chairs. The beach is (quietly) hand-raked each morning, and the water is calm enough to let our kids romp in and out without concern. Be sure to rent sea kayaks on the property to explore outside the little cove area. And don't miss the opportunity to go out with Barb from Under the Sea - a highlight for our whole family. Next time we'll spend more days at Oualie!

• Liked — Location and overwhelming friendliness from the staff.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank travelhappyfamily
Wales
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Very enjoyable ten day stay well looked after by all staff who are a credit to the Hotel, nothing was too much of a problem for them they coped well. Meet in the bar and join the locals as well the music on Tuesday and Friday was excellent.
A visit to the restaurant just to see the evening supervisor Tim is well worth it just for the attention he gives to your evening.
Well done all.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellernevis
plainfield,il
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Really nice location. Really nice employees, especially Mr. Tim, Vaden, Moy, and Stacy. We had such a wonderful time. Thanks again for all that you do for us tourists. I hope to make it back soon.

• Liked — Great people
  • Disliked — Not enough resturant selection
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank elawler147
Northeastern PA
Reviewed 10 November 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at the Oualie Beach Resort which is located on the northwestern coast of Nevis. It is convenient to the Newcastle Airport and a bus comes right in front of the resort that will go to Charlestown. (Only it’s on island-time with no real schedule).

I selected this resort because it is not big and offers 30+ cottages right on the beach. From the moment I first inquired about rates until after I returned home, everyone on the staff --- from the general manager to the repairman --- was friendly, courteous and helpful, and the service was above board.

The main purpose of my vacation was R&R so the fact that Oualie offers many activities did not necessarily matter to me. High on my list were: comfortable, quiet and safe accommodations; good food; and a nice beach and swimming area. Oualie offered all of these --- including on-site massage services --- and is located on what is considered to be the nicest beach on the entire island of Nevis --- Oualie Beach.

While I took the risk of traveling in hurricane season this guaranteed almost exclusive accommodations and beach area but, unfortunately for me, Hurricane Omar also arrived one week before I did. The water and beach area were so ravaged that it was not so pleasant to be in but the resort spent a lot of time cleaning up the beach while I was there.

The gingerbread cottages look darling lined up on the beach (some are closer to the shore than others, some are one or two-story, and some are efficiencies with a kitchen). I was grateful mine was a few doors away from any possible noise at the office or restaurant. The screened in porch came in handy as I could still enjoy the beautiful scenery without insect bites. Lounge chairs and hammocks dotted the beach and the basins at each cottage were changed every day with fresh water to wash the sand off your feet. The grounds were beautifully landscaped and in colorful bloom during my stay. Located on the western coast, the sunsets and views of St. Kitts were impressive.

Inside, the bed was very comfortable and offered a good choice of fluffy, harder and soft pillows. The AC, fans and shower worked well. Upon arriving, I had one small problem with my window not closing properly and it was promptly fixed. The TV seemed to work well although I may have only turned it on once or twice to get the local information, and it was a nice convenience having a coffeemaker, hair dryer, beach towels, in-room safe, iron and ironing board, and 110 electrical current provided.

I did have most of my meals at Oualie and they were enjoyable overall. Their Grouper Reuben was a unique lunch dish and quite tasty as was their steak, salads, and omelets.

I would really have to be picky to find fault with the Oualie Beach Resort. The staff was pleasant and welcoming, offering a cool glass of punch to guests upon arrival and easily altering any menu items to preference. They also reconfirmed my airline reservations as well as made all taxi arrangements for me --- I was so glad to not have to worry about this! Complimentary internet service was also provided in the lobby which was helpful in letting my family know I arrived safely.

If you are a type A personality or have to be in a 5-star resort, then Oualie is probably not for you. If, however, you would like a pleasant get-away where you can meet nice people and be as engaging as you wish, you should probably be calling the Oualie Beach Resort right now for a reservation!

• Liked — cottage on the beach, location of resort, good restaurant, nice staff
  • Disliked — Damage from Hurriance Omar (beyond Oualie's control); could use some minior updating
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Ocean Terrace Inn
#2 of 5 in Basseterre
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Been to Oualie Beach Resort? Share your experiences!