“Nice food and venue but disorganised manager”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Hampshire England
“Nice food and venue but disorganised manager”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We recently hired this venue to host the reception to our daughters christening. We booked and paid in advanced which perhaps was a bad idea since the manager didn't seem very organised with bookings and was reluctant to take payment in advance. So it wasn't much of a surprise when they called the weekend before saying they had lost our booking form. Even once they had found it they still didn't get the order right.

However the food was nice and the waiters were polite and couldn't do more to help. Unfortunately the manager was not as welcoming. The venue is spacious and gives a warm rustic country feel. We have eaten there previously and felt the food was good quality but expensive for what it is.

Overall average but in a nice setting.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Dundridge
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Can only thank fullers for saving one of our villages oldest buildings and making a lovely job of the restoration. finally getting there with the food. still expensive but it is a Fullers pub and it does at least keep the old rif-raf out! always able to have a decent pint of HSB and the staff are always friendly towards me and my better half. very dog friendly which is a big plus.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I visited to Saturday lunch with a few friends and while I really liked the place itself and the atmosphere, I was a little disappointed with the food, especially considering the price. I ordered the "cider and bourbon" pork ribs which were really dry and bland. They weren't glazed and sticky as you would expect or have any of the flavour advertised. A friend had the kedgeree, which I was going to order but was a glad I didn't. It had been "deconstructed" so that the rice was in deep fried balls. It didn't look good at all.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank James N
cheshire
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This review is long over due, I have tried and tried to like this place, and have visited on quite a few occasions, as i live in bishops waltham. I so wanted it to do well, and the place looks amazing. However, like so many others I have been disappointed. Poor service, on more than one occasion, poor food more than once and as far as I can see no or little leadership . I would go as far as to say where staff are concerned the left hand doesn't appear to know what the right hand is doing. People seem more concerned with clearing tables and chatting than providing service.

When it first opened we were told the poor service and lengthy waiting times were due to teething problems and the half price deal they were operating meant they were overwhelmed with customers. Sadly the teething problems as far as I can see we're not resolved.

I have experienced lengthy waiting times for food, the bill has been wrong . On one accession we had to ask 5 times before we got the bill. Told there were no specials only for another member of staff to later inform us there had been specials on a separate menu but it hadn't been offered to us. I have been served main courses and then left until we had to approach staff for further service. On one occasion my husband complained there was a vital ingredient missing as advertised on the specials board and was told by the waiter,
" oh the chef said it had run out"

More recently I have only gone there for a drink and have to say the staff have been abrupt and unwelcoming. It's such as shame.

It doesn't appear to operate well as a pub or a restaurant as far as I can see. They have a restaurant menu but as far as I'm concerned is way overpriced as they cannot provide a consistent standard of food or the necessary standard in service to be competitive. There are better restaurants in the village. Shame they didn't go for reasonably priced good pub grub.

I won't go there again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank thebirds
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in business. The builing is an old 18th century inn and has all the character to match it's age. The rooms are uneven and at odd angles as old buildings are, it's very sweet.

The rooms are very clean and well decorated. Lots if nice extras like filter coffee and a good range of teas. Good quality soaps and bathroom accessories.

We didn't eat here other than breakfast, and it was very nice with a good cooked choice of food and a small selection of cold food.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank JAYZEE79
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

When The Crown reopened last year it was wonderful, we used to eat in there regularly and we always received brilliant service from the bar and waiting staff and the food was always delicious. However, it appeared to start going downhill late last year and most people we spoke to agreed and told us they had stopped going in there. Nevertheless, we decided to go in there for dinner last week to give it one last chance. We wish we hadn’t bothered. The ‘service’ was awful, we felt like an inconvenience to the staff who were just standing in the corner chatting. The atmosphere in the pub is very awkward, it’s ever so quiet and the staff obviously don’t want you there. The food was ok, nothing to write home about. My chips were very greasy. Needless to say we will not be returning. Such a shame as it is so close to our home, making it a very convenient place to go.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank R0cky190
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

Overall disappointed. Seated ok, but then waited to be offered drinks. The white wine wasn't available on the menu leaving only a choice of 2 wines by the glass. Then waited over an hour to receive our food. Offered dessert menu but when it came to ordering 2 out of 5 choices unavailable. Then to top it all we were charged for another tables drinks tab. When this was identified barman very indifferent and not apologetic about it. Needless to say we didn't tip.

• Stayed April 2013
#1 of 1 in Whiteley
B+B Wickham
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!