“Good food and gluten free friendly”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We returned after what was a disastrous meal a few months back. Pleased to say that this meal was far from disastrous. The previous manager is on leave and the stand in assistant manager, mike, was on hand. He couldn't be more helpful esp with going into the kitchen to check on gluten free. The chef made me a roast chicken from scratch and made gluten free gravy. Admittedly it was not busy and had it been then maybe the chef may not have been able to be so accommodating. please give this lovely pub a second chance. We are glad we did.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Definitely agree with one of the previous reviewers in that Fullers made a wonderful job of renovating this lovely old building and the interior has been beautifully done, especially the restaurant. We are locals and over the past 18 months since it re-opened it has had its trials and tribulations as can be seen from the reviews, but at last they seem to be really getting there especially with the food and service.
We ate in the restaurant on a Friday night and had a superb meal, having whitebait and mushroom chips for starters both of which were really tasty and served lovely and hot, for mains we had steak and ale pie and a burger again both of which were again delicious. This overall positive experience was really made by the new restaurant manager, who is very organised and professional, he fitted us in at the last minute and couldn't have been more helpful and attentive, he really deserves a big thank you from us.
I'm sure that this lovely old pub will continue to improve and is definitely on the right track in the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jed1906
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We were a party of thirteen so lucky for some!. The service was friendly and efficient. The food very tasty and well presented. The Inn is full of character and has been renovated to a high standard. Would recommend a visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We recently hired this venue to host the reception to our daughters christening. We booked and paid in advanced which perhaps was a bad idea since the manager didn't seem very organised with bookings and was reluctant to take payment in advance. So it wasn't much of a surprise when they called the weekend before saying they had lost our booking form. Even once they had found it they still didn't get the order right.

However the food was nice and the waiters were polite and couldn't do more to help. Unfortunately the manager was not as welcoming. The venue is spacious and gives a warm rustic country feel. We have eaten there previously and felt the food was good quality but expensive for what it is.

Overall average but in a nice setting.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Can only thank fullers for saving one of our villages oldest buildings and making a lovely job of the restoration. finally getting there with the food. still expensive but it is a Fullers pub and it does at least keep the old rif-raf out! always able to have a decent pint of HSB and the staff are always friendly towards me and my better half. very dog friendly which is a big plus.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I visited to Saturday lunch with a few friends and while I really liked the place itself and the atmosphere, I was a little disappointed with the food, especially considering the price. I ordered the "cider and bourbon" pork ribs which were really dry and bland. They weren't glazed and sticky as you would expect or have any of the flavour advertised. A friend had the kedgeree, which I was going to order but was a glad I didn't. It had been "deconstructed" so that the rice was in deep fried balls. It didn't look good at all.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank James N
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This review is long over due, I have tried and tried to like this place, and have visited on quite a few occasions, as i live in bishops waltham. I so wanted it to do well, and the place looks amazing. However, like so many others I have been disappointed. Poor service, on more than one occasion, poor food more than once and as far as I can see no or little leadership . I would go as far as to say where staff are concerned the left hand doesn't appear to know what the right hand is doing. People seem more concerned with clearing tables and chatting than providing service.

When it first opened we were told the poor service and lengthy waiting times were due to teething problems and the half price deal they were operating meant they were overwhelmed with customers. Sadly the teething problems as far as I can see we're not resolved.

I have experienced lengthy waiting times for food, the bill has been wrong . On one accession we had to ask 5 times before we got the bill. Told there were no specials only for another member of staff to later inform us there had been specials on a separate menu but it hadn't been offered to us. I have been served main courses and then left until we had to approach staff for further service. On one occasion my husband complained there was a vital ingredient missing as advertised on the specials board and was told by the waiter,
" oh the chef said it had run out"

More recently I have only gone there for a drink and have to say the staff have been abrupt and unwelcoming. It's such as shame.

It doesn't appear to operate well as a pub or a restaurant as far as I can see. They have a restaurant menu but as far as I'm concerned is way overpriced as they cannot provide a consistent standard of food or the necessary standard in service to be competitive. There are better restaurants in the village. Shame they didn't go for reasonably priced good pub grub.

I won't go there again

Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
New Place Hotel
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!