“Good food in delightful surroundings”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A charming 16th century coaching inn set in the beautiful Hampshire countryside, this Bishop's Waltham pub is brimming with history. The menu plays host to a range of excellent dishes, crafted with care from fresh, local ingredients. Great British classics are offset by modern, sophisticated plates for the discerning foodie.
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We recently visited The Crown Inn and were very impressed with both the surroundings and the staff. The food was very good and well presented. They have some lovely boutique bedrooms and Bishops Waltham is a lovely area to visit. To read our unbiased review in full google Ladies who lunch in Hampshire.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

A very pleasant atmosphere in this lovely oldy worldy pub, very comfortable chairs. Had the Mushroom Crisps for starters, extremely nice, not had these before, very nice indeed, needed a bit of seasoning but apart from that good. I had the burger which as burgers go was tasty, the chips arrived in a little pot, very twee and a nice idea, we each had different main courses, fish & chips, pie and 8oz steak, no complaints from anyone. Puddings, I ordered the spotted dick along with one of our table, it was hard going, texture very thick and lumpy, was possibly microwaved, didnt taste fresh, luckily my husband had ordered the Blood Orange Posset, WOWEEEE, we swapped half way through and I can honestly say in my 46 years I have never tasted anything as deilcious as this in a pudding, the orange cream was smooth and gorgeous, the orange granite on top was exquisite and the sable biscuit was dreamy, this dish for me saved the whole meal, fantastic. I have to say the service we received was polite, friendly, attentive and one particular waiter was actually qutie funny. To sum up a very pleasant evening, food a little pricey, but overall would go back again and have that dessert for a starter, main and dessert. Lovely.

1  Thank Deborah K
Reviewed 7 April 2013

If this is the The Crown Inn, Highfield... great traditional English Pub, limited foof choice but good quality and outstanding value. Good selction of wine by the glass. Great community social centre.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

This should be so much better but my visit this week was probably the worst pub visit I have experienced for a very long time. Two staff - one bar & one food waiter - were poor as well as unable to cope with the number of customers. Tables were being cleared by customers which meant they were not being wiped clean. The food was awful - tasteless, expensive, low quality and insufficient. No check back to ensure satisfaction. This was more akin to to the poorest Wetherspoons rather than an upmarket Fullers pub. Definitely will not revisit.

2  Thank mcflug