It has been my second visit to San Agustin and it was just as excellent as my first one a couple of years ago. The setting is spectacular beneath Cotopaxi this Hacienda has used old Inca ruins to create a cosy, tranquil and unique atmosphere. I felt extremely privileged to stay in this historic site. However, it is still a hotel and certainly not a budget option and understandable it raises once expectations. I felt that on both occasions all my expectations where met good margin. The rooms are very comfortable and the furniture and decorations suits the hacienda extremely well. All the meals are freshly prepared and there is always a choice of 2-3 different dishes. The food is delicious and high quality. Only once the kitchen made a mistake of only having fish and seafood dishes for dinner. No problem for me, but some other guest didn’t like fish.
Another drawback is booking and advance payment. It took quite a number of emails until everything was settled. This, however seems to be a problem with a lot of hotels in Ecuador. As mentioned above it is not a budget place and I night visit well set back around $340 for a standard room, but I would recommend adding another $50 for one of the suites. It is well worth the extra money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the 15th century San Agustin de Callo has served as an Inca fortress and palace and Augustinian monastery and was also temporary home of the French Geodesic Mission (1742) whose scientific work helped change the shape of the planet. Other famous visitors include the brilliant German scientist and explorer Alexander von Humboldt and English mountain climber Edward Whymper. In 1912 the Hacienda was purchased by General Leonidas Plaza Gutierrez, leader of the liberal Revolution and two-time President of Ecuador.With only eleven rooms, it is one of the most romantic spots for honeymoons and other special occasions. San Agustin de Callo constitutes the only lived in museum of Inca Imperial and Spanish Colonial style. Surrounded by the smoke-blackened Inca walls of the dining room, one can marvel at the infinite precision of the stonemasonry, a monument to the unrivalled craftsmanship of the Incas, and admire the stunning view of Cotopaxi, the highest active volcano in the world.The peaceful atmosphere and magical landscape combine to make San Agustin a sanctuary of inspiration for artists and lovers of nature and a restful haven for weary travelers ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hacienda San Agustin De Callo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda San Agustin De Callo Hotel Lasso
- Hacienda San Agustin De Callo Cotopaxi, Ecuador