To stay in a 15th century Inca temple is enough in itself but to be lulled to sleep by a roaring log-fire, cuddled-up on a feather mattress with handmade bedcovers and hot-water bottle, is glorious experience.
A royal breakfast, in a dining room with fine Inca stone walls, thatched ceiling and trapezoidal doors, we looked up to the snowcap of Cotopaxi mountain, framed by a deep blue sky.
We checked our emails and World news via fast, complimentary wi-fi and in a central Inca courtyard we fed carrots to a herd of llamas.
A recently completed road took us to shallow Limpiopungo (lake), in 50,000 acre Cotopaxi Park where we had a tasty picnic prepared By San Agustin's chef.
Dinner was excellent, made more so by the utterly charming and sophisticated owner, Mignon Plaza, who entertained us with intriguing stories, especially of San Agustin's history.
All of San Agustin's staff were helpful and prompt.
After a 2-night stay (the recommended minimum stay), we left in a rented car for Lago San Pablo, Imbabura, past Quito's very fine new airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the 15th century San Agustin de Callo has served as an Inca fortress and palace and Augustinian monastery and was also temporary home of the French Geodesic Mission (1742) whose scientific work helped change the shape of the planet. Other famous visitors include the brilliant German scientist and explorer Alexander von Humboldt and English mountain climber Edward Whymper. In 1912 the Hacienda was purchased by General Leonidas Plaza Gutierrez, leader of the liberal Revolution and two-time President of Ecuador.With only eleven rooms, it is one of the most romantic spots for honeymoons and other special occasions. San Agustin de Callo constitutes the only lived in museum of Inca Imperial and Spanish Colonial style. Surrounded by the smoke-blackened Inca walls of the dining room, one can marvel at the infinite precision of the stonemasonry, a monument to the unrivalled craftsmanship of the Incas, and admire the stunning view of Cotopaxi, the highest active volcano in the world.The peaceful atmosphere and magical landscape combine to make San Agustin a sanctuary of inspiration for artists and lovers of nature and a restful haven for weary travelers ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Hacienda San Agustin De Callo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda San Agustin De Callo Hotel Lasso
- Hacienda San Agustin De Callo Cotopaxi, Ecuador