“Well worth a visit”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

As with previous reviews visited this pub on a Travelzoo voucher with 4 friends. I have used Travelzoo vouchers at other pubs but undoubtedly this was the best. The food was exceptional and the staff were very helpful. I would definitely eat there again even without a voucher - please visit the Pub you won't regret it at all.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Like many we had a travel zoo voucher which makes eating here very good value. Our group of four sat in the bar on fri evening which soon became full and a good atmosphere. Service from bar and the lady bringing the food was very friendly and attentive and the food very nice. I ordered warm smoked trout for a starter (menu is a blackboard and you order at the bar) and it wasn't until later that the waitress came and apologised for being out of trout so I ordered the whitebait. We noticed few people ordering same later as it hadn't been removed from the board. This just created a little disappointment that could have been avoided. I had guinea fowl and then a date pudding which was described as being served with butterscotch sauce. All in all very good although there was no sauce, but I didn't bother say anything. It would have been an excellent evening however a few guests had brought their dogs into the bar/restaurant and they didn't take to each other (the dogs that is) and so had little run ins all eve with particularly loud piercing dog yapping. I guess that's not really the owners fault, they have a very quiet dog themselves that walks around very happily but rather the ignorant owners who failed to see how this might be annoying to diners and did nothing to remedy, again being typically British we put up with it and said nothing! Tip, ask to be seated out back when booking where the dogs aren't allowed

2  Thank Rob_V191
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I returned to this pub for a family lunch for the first time in a couple of years and left feeling sure that the next visit will be rather sooner.
My main course of grilled salmon fillet with sauce vierge on samphire, rocket and cherry tomatoes was very good if somewhat heavy on large, tasteless and uncooked tomatoes which dominated the dish as a whole. I also tasted the herb crusted cod with butter beans and olives. Again the fish was delicious and well cooked although the plate was similarly overwhelmed by the quantity of tinned, black olives.
Our first choice of wine was unavailable although the substitute was acceptable. At £52 for a starter, two main courses, wine, and a huge portion of excellent fries the lunch was good value. Service was first class throughout.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Like most people, we were given a gift of a voucher to come here for dinner. I'm so glad that we were.
Staff were friendly from ringing & booking a table (not necessary midweek) to us getting there & being greeted.
The menu is on a large blackboard by the bar & it is varied, but not extensive, that's not a criticism, there is plenty of choice & most of the things on there appealed. You choose your table & then order food at the bar. Staff were really knowledgeable about the menu, my girlfriend is coeliac & she was told what she could & couldn't have, obviously this limited the menu a bit, but there were still plenty of options acorss starter, main & dessert.
The quality of food was excellent, really well cooked, well presented & really tasty & service was efficient, both bringing food out & clearing up afterwards.
Although we had a voucher for the meal, a look at prices on the board were pretty standard & I'd love to return & sample something else from the menu that was on my shortlist last time.

I'd definitely recommend this pub to anyone looking for good food, good beer & friendly, welcoming staff.

1  Thank Dannygee
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We went to this pub with a travel zoo voucher, there were 4 of us in the party. We were greeted by a friendly member of staff who explained how/what to order. We asked for a specific wine which they didn't stock, but she offered us a taste of another before we chose another bottle, same with the local brewed ales. The menu although not extensive, was comprehensive and imaginative, which made it difficult to choose! The serving staff were welcoming and friendly and made us feel right at home. I can highly recommend the goats cheese starter, absolutely delicious! The main course steak was cooked perfectly and the limoncello sponge dessert was gorgeous. All 4 of us in our party was so impressed with the food, ambience and staff that we will be back, with or without another voucher.